Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Light Shows and Pre-game team entrances

Knightsfan_01

Question

I thought there was a discussion in the main forum about light show celebrations but could not find it again so excuse me if this has been beat to death.  Are these light shows kosher or anything in the rule book that would pertain to this?  I'm pretty sure Dekalb was flagged for this in week 2, then I saw it in week 3 not draw a flag.  FYI I think they are pretty sweet and should be allowed.

Also, can anyone shed some light on what is allowed or not as far as WHERE players can or can't run when entering the field during their pre-game entrances?  I've heard one thing then seen something I thought was not allowed.  Talking regular season.

Thanks

Edited by Knightsfan_01

20 answers to this question

This situation has been discussed in general terms. There’s nothing specific in the rule book governing this. I have heard of one situation where a kid was running for a long TD, and they started the light show well before he got in the end zone … and were flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. The IHSAA approved that ruling.

Edited by Bobref

On 9/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, Bobref said:

This situation has been discussed in general terms. There’s nothing specific in the rule book governing this. I have heard of one situation where a kid was running for a long TD, and they started the light show well before he got in the end zone … and were flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. The IHSAA approved that ruling.

How about River Forest flashing the stadium lights every time they score?  They installed the LED lights you can turn on and off without delay. Its enough to cause a seizure or a freak out.

5 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

How about River Forest flashing the stadium lights every time they score?  They installed the LED lights you can turn on and off without delay. Its enough to cause a seizure or a freak out.

Unless it affects the playing of the game, it’s not a matter for the officials. That’s between game management and the IHSAA.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:14 AM, Goose Liver said:

Several schools are doing this with the newer lighting systems. To be honest I’m not a fan….but I do like it better than the damn cannon. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I do like it better than the damn cannon. 

I remember my first experience with a cannon. I was in my first season of varsity officiating. I was a back judge. North Judson had a cannon behind one end zone. I didn’t notice it … until a kid caught a TD pass right at the end line. As I was holding my picture perfect TD signal, the thing went off about 20 yds. from me. I wish someone had measured my vertical then. Almost certainly a personal best.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Put the KIBOSH on ya last year @Irishmanuntil I got a ruling from the IHSAA, Week 1 last year.   

Looks like seizures for everyone from here on out with the flashing lights....gotta love HS FB Friday nights in Indiana!  

Now please STOP the Powder Bombs!   There are fans with respiratory issues who are in attendance.

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Now please STOP the Powder Bombs

The IHSAA has been very clear that these are prohibited. If it holds up play, it will cost the home team 15 yds. Even if it doesn’t the school can count on an unpleasant phone call from Indianapolis. If it happens, game officials should report it to the IHSAA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

The IHSAA has been very clear that these are prohibited. If it holds up play, it will cost the home team 15 yds. Even if it doesn’t the school can count on an unpleasant phone call from Indianapolis. If it happens, game officials should report it to the IHSAA.

We (I) have Bob....  

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

We have not run across this, Formula 1 is currently dealing with it however. 

5CCD31A8-5F5B-4E5F-BAAA-885AA994EE32.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

We have not run across this, Formula 1 is currently dealing with it however. 

5CCD31A8-5F5B-4E5F-BAAA-885AA994EE32.jpeg

Several such incidents have resulted in spectators being treated by EMS for breathing difficulties, and there have been a few cases of asthmatics being hospitalized. If you’ve ever seen someone struggling with status asthmaticus, you wouldn’t be interested in joining in the fun.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Bobref said:

I remember my first experience with a cannon. I was in my first season of varsity officiating. I was a back judge. North Judson had a cannon behind one end zone. I didn’t notice it … until a kid caught a TD pass right at the end line. As I was holding my picture perfect TD signal, the thing went off about 20 yds. from me. I wish someone had measured my vertical then. Almost certainly a personal best.

When I coached at Ashland/Paul Blazer, in Ashland, Ky., they had a .10 Gauge monster named the Blazer Blaster.  It was on large farm wheels, the barrel consisting of a 6" section of well casing. Someone had cut down a .10 gauge Shotgun and welded it to the end of the well casing.  The result was a great smoke show and noise that reverberated off the stadium structure. The shells were hand loaded black powder. 

Edited by Goose Liver

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Several such incidents have resulted in spectators being treated by EMS for breathing difficulties, and there have been a few cases of asthmatics being hospitalized. If you’ve ever seen someone struggling with status asthmaticus, you wouldn’t be interested in joining in the fun.

F1 has really cracked down on it. In Netherlands a couple of weeks ago (Max Verstappen’s home race) they were really monitoring incoming visitors for the smoke flares. Finally they’re now just saying not till after the race. Saw a few strays during the formation lap and when Max took the lead at Monza last weekend. It wasn’t bad until after. 
I’m no fan, of the smoke flares or Verstappen for that matter. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Put the KIBOSH on ya last year @Irishmanuntil I got a ruling from the IHSAA, Week 1 last year.   

Looks like seizures for everyone from here on out with the flashing lights....gotta love HS FB Friday nights in Indiana!  

Now please STOP the Powder Bombs!   There are fans with respiratory issues who are in attendance.

@Bobrefmight be in a better position to answer this, but it would seem like schools that put in these lights and then use a strobe or quick flashing effect, likely built-in to the effects database, would increase their liability for seizure-prone individuals, e.g. epileptics, if they aren't actively displaying a warning at their gates and possibly even announcing it at the outset of the game about the exposure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

@Bobrefmight be in a better position to answer this, but it would seem like schools that put in these lights and then use a strobe or quick flashing effect, likely built-in to the effects database, would increase their liability for seizure-prone individuals, e.g. epileptics, if they aren't actively displaying a warning at their gates and possibly even announcing it at the outset of the game about the exposure.

I am not sure how solid the medical causation evidence is. But I would certainly be concerned about the liability potential. I’d get an opinion from the school’s corporation counsel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/12/2022 at 9:03 AM, Goose Liver said:

When I coached at Ashland/Paul Blazer, in Ashland, Ky., they had a .10 Gauge monster named the Blazer Blaster.  It was on large farm wheels, the barrel consisting of a 6" section of well casing. Someone had cut down a .10 gauge Shotgun and welded it to the end of the well casing.  The result was a great smoke show and noise that reverberated off the stadium structure. The shells were hand loaded black powder. 

Churubusco...it's a TRADITION like none other!   

Diesel smoke to welcome the Eagles onto the field!  😃

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

F1 has really cracked down on it. In Netherlands a couple of weeks ago (Max Verstappen’s home race) they were really monitoring incoming visitors for the smoke flares. Finally they’re now just saying not till after the race. Saw a few strays during the formation lap and when Max took the lead at Monza last weekend. It wasn’t bad until after. 
I’m no fan, of the smoke flares or Verstappen for that matter. 

What did Max ever do to you?

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Nothing, just not a fan. Not like I wasn’t rooting like hell for him last year. I’m currently between drivers, HUGE Kimi fan just kind of wondering about aimlessly right now. If the Scuderia would just get someone….

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Nothing, just not a fan. Not like I wasn’t rooting like hell for him last year. I’m currently between drivers, HUGE Kimi fan just kind of wondering about aimlessly right now. If the Scuderia would just get someone….

Leclerc is the man for you.  He's long-term good.