Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

KY #10 South Warren @ Gibson Southern

16 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Are you a ref or just visiting? 

i only ask because I want to know how a kicker can be called offsides on a kickoff 

happened twice last night and I’m just thinking to myself “how is that even possible?” Lol

By rule the kicker and the holder may be beyond K’s Free Kick Line. 

The kicker was not called twice for being “offsides”. K was called twice for pop up kicks. In talking with the coach it seems just misexecuted squib kicks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

By rule the kicker and the holder may be beyond K’s Free Kick Line. 

The kicker was not called twice for being “offsides”. K was called twice for pop up kicks. In talking with the coach it seems just misexecuted squib kicks. 

Thanks for the clarification.  The radio call kept saying it was offsides on the kicker. 

and I didn’t know they made a rule for those kicks or had a name for them.  It makes me happy that it’s no longer allowed.  From a personal perspective, I had my leg broken in high school because of a “pop up” kick

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Aside from that did we do OK? Pretty easy game to work. Players played, coaches coached, we did our thing. Always a great atmosphere at GS. 

I mean I almost always just listen to the radio call so it really depends how they call the game. 

from what I could tell

South Warren had a lot of false starts and a few offsides.  Then there were some that were bonehead plays like late hits or unsportsmanlike

At times the broadcasters thought that there should have been some DPIs against SW.  that was about it but I don’t think the broadcasters knew that there is a 4 ️ DB on south warren and a number of other college worthy kids on that defense.  

It’s more likely that those kids were just great athletes and it was a bang bang play on the ball

my take away was that GS was much more disciplined than SW.  most of SWs calls were entirely preventable.  GS on the other hand had I believe 1 false start and 1 holding call outside of the kickoff issue so it was a pretty clean game. 

I feel like the game was called fair.  I’m biased to GS but I don’t think anyone can argue that the refs didn’t call a fair game.  Most of the penalties were essentially presnap including the illegal kicks.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 3:41 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

Aside from that did we do OK? Pretty easy game to work. Players played, coaches coached, we did our thing. Always a great atmosphere at GS. 

Aside from some on the crew saying in interstate games you can’t call everything because KY schools are more lax on certain things.  Felt like officiating improved during the game once it was obvious it wasn’t going to be a blow out.  Hope Roncalli is aware of the look the other way approach before it’s game with Male.

11 minutes ago, Titan20 said:

Aside from some on the crew saying in interstate games you can’t call everything because KY schools are more lax on certain things.  Felt like officiating improved during the game once it was obvious it wasn’t going to be a blow out.  Hope Roncalli is aware of the look the other way approach before it’s game with Male.

Good luck at Southridge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titan20 said:

I'm curious as to how that is possible? I get (and welcome) refs being more lax on penalties in a lower level (MS, frosh, etc.) game, but not at the varsity level. Besides, the game was in IN..

31 minutes ago, tango said:

I'm curious as to how that is possible? I get (and welcome) refs being more lax on penalties in a lower level (MS, frosh, etc.) game, but not at the varsity level. Besides, the game was in IN..

In my experience historically it’s handled in pregame. Today we have email. An email to coaches and AD’s, listing known differences. For instance KY has adopted extended team boxes period, in Indiana it’s the home team’s discretion, and in four weeks no one has used it. 

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

In my experience historically it’s handled in pregame. Today we have email. An email to coaches and AD’s, listing known differences. For instance KY has adopted extended team boxes period, in Indiana it’s the home team’s discretion, and in four weeks no one has used it. 

What's the rule? I believe Cathedral used them at Chatard last week. Extended boxes were used at LoS in Week 1.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:33 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Thanks for the clarification.  The radio call kept saying it was offsides on the kicker. 

and I didn’t know they made a rule for those kicks or had a name for them.  It makes me happy that it’s no longer allowed.  From a personal perspective, I had my leg broken in high school because of a “pop up” kick

The signal for offside on a kickoff is the offside signal. 

I believe the signal for an illegal kick (e.g., a popup kick) is illegal procedure, which *is not* offside (but I'm assuming the announcers are used to seeing that signal as a false start and don't realize it is used for several other fouls, including illegal formation and an illegal free kick, such as a kickoff out of bounds). 

Something tells me the announcers confused the two signals and announced it wrong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

I believe the signal for an illegal kick (e.g., a popup kick) is illegal procedure, which *is not* offside (but I'm assuming the announcers are used to seeing that signal as a false start and don't realize it is used for several other fouls, including illegal formation and an illegal free kick, such as a kickoff out of bounds). 

Something tells me the announcers confused the two signals and announced it wrong. 

Every public address announcer in the state should immediately be advised, upon pain of termination:

1. There is no “offsides” foul in high school. The foul is encroachment.
  2. There is no such thing as “illegal procedure.” As was pointed out above, Signal #19 covers a multitude of sins. You can usually figure out which one it is from context. But if you want certainty, have the booster club spring for a Referee’s field mike.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Yeah GS has new radio broadcasters this year.  I think they are college kids at WVC where the station broadcasts from. 

i think they got mixed up and didn’t know any better which led to my confusion. 

kinda lucked out that one of the refs there is on this forum to clear things up 

2 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

No, I mean, what is the new rule? Where are the teams allowed to stand?

Normal team box is 25-to-25. 

Home team can opt for the team boxes to extend from 10-to-10 (as was legal during the COVID year). Last week, our opponent opted for the 10-to-10 team box but it appeared neither team really used it. 

7 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Home team can opt for the team boxes to extend from 10-to-10 (as was legal during the COVID year). Last week, our opponent opted for the 10-to-10 team box but it appeared neither team really used it. 

Cathedral was stretched from about the 20 to the other goal line last week at Chatard. It made it impossible to shoot from the visitors' sideline. I think there should be a limit to the number of players who can dress. I digress, this is off topic.

Go Titans.

28 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Can only the players go from 10 to 10 and coaches still use the 25 to 25?

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Cathedral was stretched from about the 20 to the other goal line last week at Chatard. It made it impossible to shoot from the visitors' sideline. I think there should be a limit to the number of players who can dress. I digress, this is off topic.

Go Titans.

Entire broadcast showed them from about the 20 to the 35.

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

It was extended to the 10’s in 2020 for social distancing. It has been added to the rule book per state adoption. Nothing has really chances other than it’s now in the rule book. 

Just means this old man has to climb higher in the bleachers. I do think I need to change my name to Oldmanlowpants though…….

I’ve always wondered

why do we have the rule of players in the box on the sidelines.  

like I just don’t see the problem if they were outside the box…then again when I played I was always getting yelled at because I would be hyped up on the sideline and next thing ya know im at like the 15/10 yard line and coach was yelling at me to get back lol 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’ve always wondered

why do we have the rule of players in the box on the sidelines.  

like I just don’t see the problem if they were outside the box…then again when I played I was always getting yelled at because I would be hyped up on the sideline and next thing ya know im at like the 15/10 yard line and coach was yelling at me to get back lol 

I love it when a question answers itself. 🤣😂