Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Need Help From a DB Coach

Now that we are in the off season for HS football, I need to ask a question that I’ve been pondering for years.

At all levels of football, the passing game has taken on increasing importance. Defending against the pass is, therefore, also more important. I played DB back in the antediluvian days, but obviously DBs are coached differently today. Now, DBs are not taught to find the ball. They’re taught to body up the receiver and not look at the ball until the receiver makes a move for it. At the same time, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that defensive pass interference calls are also at an all time high. So, I seriously would like to hear from a knowledgeable DB coach (or player) who can explain how modern DB technique is better. Because it seems to me that when you take into account the number of DPI calls, it offsets whatever advantage you gain in the ability to cover using this technique.

• Like 1

The RPO craze at all levels of hs football has forced defensive coaches to use more man coverage concepts, thus the DB's have to play tighter coverage and less eyes on the ball. Old school zone allows OC's to put defenders in conflict and hit the RPO's. Man coverage employed by DC's get the defender out of conflict. And because most RPO's are of the quick pass variety, DB's are forced to hunt up the receivers immediately, reducing vision on the ball

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:09 AM, Bobref said:

Now that we are in the off season for HS football, I need to ask a question that I’ve been pondering for years.

At all levels of football, the passing game has taken on increasing importance. Defending against the pass is, therefore, also more important. I played DB back in the antediluvian days, but obviously DBs are coached differently today. Now, DBs are not taught to find the ball. They’re taught to body up the receiver and not look at the ball until the receiver makes a move for it. At the same time, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that defensive pass interference calls are also at an all time high. So, I seriously would like to hear from a knowledgeable DB coach (or player) who can explain how modern DB technique is better. Because it seems to me that when you take into account the number of DPI calls, it offsets whatever advantage you gain in the ability to cover using this technique.

35 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

15 yards from the previous spot has had an impact as well.....not a bad alternative to a TD.

Had to give a "like" just for the use of the word "antediluvian." 

In the older days, between linebackers, corners, and safeties, you tended to have 2-3 defenders for every guy going out.  That allowed you to often have one guy with eyes on the ball and another with eyes on the defender.  Even in man coverage, there was usually someone lurking behind you.  Today, with everyone heading downfield including the water boy and ball boy, you pretty much have to be on the receiver from the start and the ball is icing on the cake.  I think @Titan32's point also has some play in this too as a strategy as I think it definitely has an impact in folks taking the bump knowing that everyone else is busy and can't help out.

It’s just frustrating for me to watch football these days and see either PI, or some guy screaming for it, on virtually every downfield pass play. I mean, now it’s become a routine part of the process of watching the game. You see it’s a pass, you track the ball, it’s incomplete, and then everyone waits for the flag to either be thrown or not.

Maybe it’s time to restore the automatic first down to the DPI penalty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

It’s just frustrating for me to watch football these days and see either PI, or some guy screaming for it, on virtually every downfield pass play. I mean, now it’s become a routine part of the process of watching the game. You see it’s a pass, you track the ball, it’s incomplete, and then everyone waits for the flag to either be thrown or not.

Maybe it's time that an uncatchable ball be added to the equation?  

It would be interesting to study the amount of DPI calls are thrown on the offenses side of the field versus the defenses side of the field.  It seems that more are thrown to the offensive sideline, but I don't really have hard proof.  I only have a feeling from standing on the sidelines for over 25 years.

Edited by Punttheball

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I agree it's frustrating to watch.  There's always the collective holding of the breath to every incomplete pass.

I'm ok with the automatic first down.  I would like to see NFHS adopt college rules though. 15 yards or spot, whichever is less. 

DB's have to have short term memory loss to play the position for sure.  Coaches on the other hand... well they could tell you about a bad DPI call from 2011 if you give them enough time.  

41 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

It would be interesting to study the amount of DPI calls are thrown on the offenses side of the field versus the defenses side of the field.  It seems that more are thrown to the offensive sideline, but I don't really have hard proof.  I only have a feeling from standing on the sidelines for over 25 years.

Finally, Offenses have been cheating for a long time

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Punttheball said:

It kind of exists already anyway since advantage/disadvantage comes into play. But it's still a lower threshold than the NCAA or NFL rule. Action that would not be a foul at those levels would be a foul in HS. Even at those levels it's applied very rarely so I don't feel it formally needs to be added to the HS rule. As for automatic first down and spot foul less than 15 yards, I'm for both of those 100%!

In general, we teach our guys in coverage to be physical with the receivers early on in the game to try and gauge how flexible the crew will be. If crews are more "let them play" we will stay physical/ keep getting hands on the receivers, if they are more strict we will pull our guys back. I always tell the kids the first PI call is on me and I will never get on our backers for checking receivers that cross their faces. As for blown coverages on deep balls take the PI over a TD every time.

I agree its turning to be a WR  advantage for DBs to play soft and let them run free on routes.  Hence, lot of DCs are playing loose man or off man techniques. Additionally, a lot of zone coverage, which is a OCs dream.

I'm teaching my players different techniques, but mostly how to cut off WR routes early. Based on the coverage will dictate either box out or turn into. Looking for hand or face mask keys to shoot hands.

DBs football IQ has to increase and when to employ different techniques.  I use video and group text to discuss techniques. Called DB footwork Friday's .