• The Mounties
  6. 6. 1-2 Cascade at 1-2 Cloverdale

• The Cadets
    • The Clovers
  7. 7. 1A 1-2 Covenant Christian at 0-3 North Putnam

• The Warriors
    • The Chargers

This poll is closed to new votes

Linton, North Knox, Sullivan, Southmont, South Vermillion, Cascade, Greencastle & North Putnam.

Well it just occurred to me that several of us in this somewhat new arrangement in Sectional 47 really don't know much about each other.  

So... creating this thread will hopefully get some discussion about the teams involved, and bring others into the conversation as well as follow each team through the remainder of the season. I know for me, there are teams I've not really any info on other than their records of the past and basic school info.  Obviously for Linton we know Sullivan and North Knox particularly well having played these local rivals for years and years.  

We've played Cascade in a series from 1999-2003 winning 4 of 5, and met them in post season 1992 losing 45-13.  We've not played South Vermillion, but have faced Clinton in '71 and '72 getting blanked twice!  Greencastle is a foe Linton has never beaten, but we've not played then since a 1990 post season 55-0 loss.  They were a regular schedule opponent from 1970 to 1975 where we lost all 6 meetings....add a loss in 1961 and Linton is 0-8 vs the Tigercubs... but those Linton teams weren't the Miners of the last 15 years. Linton faced Southmont in back to back years 1997 and 1998 splitting those games.  North Put is a team Linton has never faced.

Looking at how things are going into tonight Southmont and Linton stand 3-0.  Sullivan, S.Vermillion and Greencastle at 2-1.  Cascade, and North Knox at 1-2, with North Putnam 0-3  

Cascade has faced a tough opening 3 weeks with  Triton Central and Scecina their two losses.  They've won over 4A 1-2 Beech Grove and face 1-2 Cloverdale tonight.  Greencastle's 2 wins came from 4a 1-2 Attucks and 3A 1-2 West Vigo in blow out fashion with their loss to unbeaten 4A Northview.  Linton has 3 big margin wins, their best last week against 2-1 3A Monrovia, but also over 2-1 1A noth Vermillion, and winless 1A Parke Heritage.  The Warriors of North Knox beat winless 1A Eastern Green 45-14 in week two but have substantial losses to Sullivan, and 1A 3-0- Tecumseh.  

The Cougars of North Putnam has suffered through 3 losses to 3A 2-1 North Montgomery, Southmont as well as 1A 2-1 SOuth Putnam last week 52-20.  The South Vermillion Wildcats only loss came in week 2 to Sullivan 24-14, and their two wins coming over winless PArke Heritage, and 1-2 3 A West Vigo.   Southmont is off to a hot start with big wins over 0-3 3A Fountain Central and North Putnam, and won a 14-12 tilt over 3A 2-1 North Montgomery.  The Golden Arrows handled North Knox 31-17 then South Vermillion 24-14 before losing to 3-0 4A Northview 28-7 in a WIC game.  

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

Linton, North Knox, Sullivan, Southmont, South Vermillion, Cascade, Greencastle & North Putnam.

Well it just occurred to me that several of us in this somewhat new arrangement in Sectional 47 really don't know much about each other.  

So... creating this thread will hopefully get some discussion about the teams involved, and bring others into the conversation as well as follow each team through the remainder of the season. I know for me, there are teams I've not really any info on other than their records of the past and basic school info.  Obviously for Linton we know Sullivan and North Knox particularly well having played these local rivals for years and years.  

We've played Cascade in a series from 1999-2003 winning 4 of 5, and met them in post season 1992 losing 45-13.  We've not played South Vermillion, but have faced Clinton in '71 and '72 getting blanked twice!  Greencastle is a foe Linton has never beaten, but we've not played then since a 1990 post season 55-0 loss.  They were a regular schedule opponent from 1970 to 1975 where we lost all 6 meetings....add a loss in 1961 and Linton is 0-8 vs the Tigercubs... but those Linton teams weren't the Miners of the last 15 years. Linton faced Southmont in back to back years 1997 and 1998 splitting those games.  North Put is a team Linton has never faced.

Looking at how things are going into tonight Southmont and Linton stand 3-0.  Sullivan, S.Vermillion and Greencastle at 2-1.  Cascade, and North Knox at 1-2, with North Putnam 0-3  

Cascade has faced a tough opening 3 weeks with  Triton Central and Scecina their two losses.  They've won over 4A 1-2 Beech Grove and face 1-2 Cloverdale tonight.  Greencastle's 2 wins came from 4a 1-2 Attucks and 3A 1-2 West Vigo in blow out fashion with their loss to unbeaten 4A Northview.  Linton has 3 big margin wins, their best last week against 2-1 3A Monrovia, but also over 2-1 1A noth Vermillion, and winless 1A Parke Heritage.  The Warriors of North Knox beat winless 1A Eastern Green 45-14 in week two but have substantial losses to Sullivan, and 1A 3-0- Tecumseh.  

The Cougars of North Putnam has suffered through 3 losses to 3A 2-1 North Montgomery, Southmont as well as 1A 2-1 SOuth Putnam last week 52-20.  The South Vermillion Wildcats only loss came in week 2 to Sullivan 24-14, and their two wins coming over winless PArke Heritage, and 1-2 3 A West Vigo.   Southmont is off to a hot start with big wins over 0-3 3A Fountain Central and North Putnam, and won a 14-12 tilt over 3A 2-1 North Montgomery.  The Golden Arrows handled North Knox 31-17 then South Vermillion 24-14 before losing to 3-0 4A Northview 28-7 in a WIC game.  

Great post.Im still trying to get my head around Sect 37. Its a very strong 2A conference IMHO. But looking down the road (I think a fan has to) Looks like Scecina and Mater Dei may meet each other in the Regional. Not saying that Linton will even win the Sectional. It is interesting.

Linton and Sullivan battled for a 40-20 Miner win to stay 4-0 but it was much closer than the score would indicate.  Southmont continues to win with a 60-7 blasting on 1-3 Frankfort, and will travel to Crawfordsville (2-2) tonight.  South Vermillion faces WCC opponent Covington after moving to 3-1 with a win over North VErmillion 35-19.  Cascade's Cadets got win 2 over Clovedale in a whopping 74-0 win, but will hit reality with a meeting with Lutheran.  Greencastle lost big to South Putnam (3-1) by 35-14 marging. The Tigercubsnow 2-2 meet up with most likely an angry Arrow team from Sullivan fresh from a loss to Linton.  Sullivan is 2-2.  North Knox took 4A 3-1 Boonville to Overtime before dropping a 13-7 loss, they look for get off the 2 game skid in facing North Central (Farmersburg)  North Putnam remains winless after Covenant Christian smokes the Cougars 73-34, but could get win #1 for Scott Moore as they face Cloverdale.  The Miners will travel to Boonville to face the 3-1 4 Pioneers tonight. Boonville has lost only to unnbeaten Southridge 13-0, and have wins over Paoli, Heritage Hills as well as last week's overtime win at North Knox.  

The big inter-37 matchup would be Greencastle and Sullivan.  A lot of Purple going on at Sportland Field.  Seems like all Sect 37 teams should win tonight with the exception of Cascade hosting Lutheran.

Any thoughts??!? 

On 9/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, Miner_Pride said:

Linton and Sullivan battled for a 40-20 Miner win to stay 4-0 but it was much closer than the score would indicate.  Southmont continues to win with a 60-7 blasting on 1-3 Frankfort, and will travel to Crawfordsville (2-2) tonight.  South Vermillion faces WCC opponent Covington after moving to 3-1 with a win over North VErmillion 35-19.  Cascade's Cadets got win 2 over Clovedale in a whopping 74-0 win, but will hit reality with a meeting with Lutheran.  Greencastle lost big to South Putnam (3-1) by 35-14 marging. The Tigercubsnow 2-2 meet up with most likely an angry Arrow team from Sullivan fresh from a loss to Linton.  Sullivan is 2-2.  North Knox took 4A 3-1 Boonville to Overtime before dropping a 13-7 loss, they look for get off the 2 game skid in facing North Central (Farmersburg)  North Putnam remains winless after Covenant Christian smokes the Cougars 73-34, but could get win #1 for Scott Moore as they face Cloverdale.  The Miners will travel to Boonville to face the 3-1 4 Pioneers tonight. Boonville has lost only to unnbeaten Southridge 13-0, and have wins over Paoli, Heritage Hills as well as last week's overtime win at North Knox.  

The big inter-37 matchup would be Greencastle and Sullivan.  A lot of Purple going on at Sportland Field.  Seems like all Sect 37 teams should win tonight with the exception of Cascade hosting Lutheran.

Any thoughts??!? 

Well I think Sullivan made a statement with a 38-0 dominating win over the Tigercubs. I am relatively new to most of these Sect 37 teams.  My memories of Greencastle was always one of a bigger school...certainly not 2A in my years of playing.  Have they lost enrollment to North and or South Put??  The Arrows now will have a very tough one with unbeaten 4A Owen Valley.. who just beat Northview... who was unbeaten... who beat Sullivan 28-7 earlier.  But Sullivan's losses have been to very good teams so they will be battle tested come week 10.  That draw  will be uber interesting as I know they want a shot at my Miners again.

Now I confess my knowledge on the Mounties is slim at best. I do see they've play a schedule of mostly 3A and 4A opponents. In my old school way of doing things I would look at wins against quality opponents and right now I see all their wins coming to sub 500 opponents but I know Danville, WeBo, Lebanon and Tri-West are all traditionally good programs...maybe Danville is down but still this is quite a stretch Southmont is heading.  Is this 5-0 real?

The Wildcats under Coach Barrett are making waves at 4-1 but I can't help but look at opponents and think they should be 4-1.  The 24-14 loss to Sullivan on the road is the game I look at but it was week 2. The win over N.VErm was nice as well as blanking 2-3 3A West Vigo. I don't see them tested at all other than perhaps a 3-2 Seeger team the rest of the way.  4-1 Riverton Parke is having a great season, so maybe this week we see a bit better.

Both Greencastle and North Knox are at 2-3.  Greencastle's losses have come to 4-1 Northview, 4-1 South Putnam and 3-2 Sullivan.  They were not close in any of those losses. They certainly should win their next two (0-5 Brown Co and 1-4 Cloverdale) but I don't see them in the upper tier of 37 after being beaten badly by Sullivan.  THe Warriors have won the games they should (N.C and EG). Tecumseh at 5-0 in 1A must be having a great year put a hurt on NK, and Sullivan won by 2 TDs in week 1. the Boonville loss in overtime throws a wrench in  things because Linton just let the Pioneers put up 40 points and at times could not be stopped yet NK held them to 7 in 4 quarters.  NK will win against 0-5 Pike Central setting up a big meeting with Linton at bicknell.

Cascade is also 2-3 and meet 1-4 North Putnam in a Sect 37 tilt. Cascade has faces Scecina, Lutheran and TRiton Central..a combined 14-1 between them.  A lot of sect 37 teams if not all might have 3 losses against those teams.  Both NP and Cascade blasted Cloverdale, while the Cadets won by 15 over 4A 2-3 Beech Grove. The Cougars have also faced top level teams in South Put and Southmont as well as Covenant Christian...  This will be interesting to see how it pans out.  

My Miners head to 1A 4-1 North Daviess...and has been case in most meetings, ND comes in with a solid record but having not played someone of LInton's calibre.  It's the game they need to win, or at the least be in the game for more than a quarter.  With their passing game gelling and confident, and Linton having some issue with that very thing... this could be interesting or over quick.  I know ND hasn't seen an offense on Linton's level... and probably not a defense either.  Their lone loss has come that 5-0 Tecumseh squad.  I think LInton will try some things this week defensively to shake things up.  Just a hunch tho.