Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Season 2022

Irishman

7 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

That's debatable. QB situation hasn't been good there for years. Same with WR.

I agree about the qb thing. The level of play at WR though….Chase Claypool was REALLY good. Seeing him in person was something. There are a handful of former guys still in the league. There have been a number of really good TE’s too that have been part of the passing game. Even now, Mayer is their best weapon. 

6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I agree about the qb thing. The level of play at WR though….Chase Claypool was REALLY good. Seeing him in person was something. There are a handful of former guys still in the league. There have been a number of really good TE’s too that have been part of the passing game. Even now, Mayer is their best weapon. 

Yeah, the WR comment I made was more for this year. Mayer is def good, but can't rely on solely TE in a passing game. Except when you run the ball effectively which they started to do finally in the 2nd half. Freeman needs to find this team's strengths and use them. Hopefully he paid attention to Tyree. Coaches at too many levels want to run a spread offense even when they don't have spread personnel, it's very frustrating to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Won 10 games each of the last 5 years with the same suspect QB play (Ian Book was really good btw). That’s a testament to Kelly’s coaching abilities.

Coan sucked, Buchner flopped, Pyne not starting off well. I stand by my statement. 

21 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Won 10 games each of the last 5 years with the same suspect QB play (Ian Book was really good btw). That’s a testament to Kelly’s coaching abilities.

I would not say Book was really good. Was he bad? Not really, but he had talent around him. They had a really good run game. He had Cole Kmet at TE. He had Michael Young, a developing freshman at that time.  He also had Claypool, he made him look much better than he was. Seeing him in person, what was more noticeable was that he threw after receivers broke on routes, so they were able to gain separation with the cuts, but the late throws allowed the DB to close far more often than not. On long routes, he could not lead receivers. They had to slow down, waiting for the ball to arrive. For Claypool, if it was near him, he was athletic enough to adjust and catch it. To Gonzo's point, I look at the next level. Even Brady Quinn had Jef Smardgsjgdnkfa to throw to, and struggled at the next level. When I think or see "really good", I think that means they are also good at the next level. 

• Like 1

Interested to see what the spread will be this week for ND/UNC…

One team can’t move the ball and the other can’t stop anybody.

Just now, Irishman said:

I would not say Book was really good. Was he bad? Not really, but he had talent around him. They had a really good run game. He had Cole Kmet at TE. He had Michael Young, a developing freshman at that time.  He also had Claypool, he made him look much better than he was. Seeing him in person, what was more noticeable was that he threw after receivers broke on routes, so they were able to gain separation with the cuts, but the late throws allowed the DB to close far more often than not. On long routes, he could not lead receivers. They had to slow down, waiting for the ball to arrive. For Claypool, if it was near him, he was athletic enough to adjust and catch it. To Gonzo's point, I look at the next level. Even Brady Quinn had Jef Smardgsjgdnkfa to throw to, and struggled at the next level. When I think or see "really good", I think that means they are also good at the next level. 

Um, didn’t he get drafted?  How spoiled  are we?

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

10 quarterbacks were taken in the 2021 NFL draft…there are 260 FBS/FCS teams in college football.

I’ll let you do the math.

Spoiled.

Just cannot admit you assumed too much from my post, can you? 
There are also PLENTY of QB's who are drafted that do not work out. It's not really the gold standard you are trying to make it out to be here. 
Like I said, I never said he was terrible. The draft is not the ultimate measure of whether a guy is good or not. After all, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Warren Moon are just 3 who were undrafted that were good as well. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

We'll re-evaluate Freeman in 10 years if that's the standard for judging a ND coach's abilities. 10 win seasons in the last 5 of a 10 year stint. Mark it down.

23 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Just cannot admit you assumed too much from my post, can you? 
There are also PLENTY of QB's who are drafted that do not work out. It's not really the gold standard you are trying to make it out to be here. 
Like I said, I never said he was terrible. The draft is not the ultimate measure of whether a guy is good or not. After all, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Warren Moon are just 3 who were undrafted that were good as well. 

You have to be “really good” for a GM to risk his reputation and sign checks for you to play for them.

At the time he left Notre Dame, he was “really good.”

No other way to spin it.

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Good? Ok, acceptable. Really good? Nope 

Better, still not acceptable.

Assume, as a lifelong Notre Dame fan, that you have a list of quarterbacks on hand that you would rank as better than Book?

Can’t be a long list, especially since the turn of the century.

Edited by temptation
  • Kill me now 1

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Better, still not acceptable.

Assume, as a lifelong Notre Dame fan, that you have a list of quarterbacks on hand that you would rank as better than Book?

Assume all you want lol

It has absolutely nothing to do with my take. 

You do that really well.