Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Season 2022

Irishman

Just now, Irishman said:

Telling me what to do lol....It's a different conversation. I gave my take, I stand by it, end of my part in that discussion. 

In that case, you need to change your definition of “really good.”

I’ll bail you out.

Since 1887, 111 different quarterbacks have started at least 1 game under center for Notre Dame.

Of those 111, 13 started at least 25 games and ONE (Tony Rice) has a higher career winning percentage than Ian Book.

So yeah, “really good.”

Book was the best in Kelly era in my opinion. Unfortunately he was just good enough to lead a team into the playoffs and nothing more. If Kelly had a clone of Brady Quinn, there's a solid chance he'd have his statue erected on the outside of the stadium. 

Can we agree that a national champion needs a VERY high performing quarterback and average just doesn't cut it no matter how good the team is? I consider Book to be high performing, not VERY high. 

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

Book was the best in Kelly era in my opinion. Unfortunately he was just good enough to lead a team into the playoffs and nothing more. If Kelly had a clone of Brady Quinn, there's a solid chance he'd have his statue erected on the outside of the stadium. 

Can we agree that a national champion needs a VERY high performing quarterback and average just doesn't cut it no matter how good the team is? I consider Book to be high performing, not VERY high. 

I mean, Stetson Bennett was a walk on, was booed early in his tenure at UGA and doesn’t exactly have eye popping stats.

He was much better late in the season last year but it helps to be surrounded by 15 future draft picks.

Book got ND to the playoff after all…

Other than that I can’t think of too many other examples to argue your point.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I mean, Stetson Bennett was a walk on, was booed early in his tenure at UGA and doesn’t exactly have eye popping stats.

He was much better late in the season last year but it helps to be surrounded by 15 future draft picks.

Book got ND to the playoff after all…

Other than that I can’t think of too many other examples to argue your point.

Stetson Bennett was surrounded by more 5 and 4 stars than Ian Book was. 

Book was a good college quarterback, just not good enough to win a playoff game with his supporting cast. A guy like Trevor Lawrence could have gotten Kelly his statue. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Stetson Bennett was surrounded by more 5 and 4 stars than Ian Book was. 

Book was a good college quarterback, just not good enough to win a playoff game with his supporting cast. A guy like Trevor Lawrence could have gotten Kelly his statue. 

Correct which sorta counters your prior statement.

Book > Bennett, or at least equals.

Book’s supporting cast < Bennett’s

2 hours ago, temptation said:

In that case, you need to change your definition of “really good.”

I’ll bail you out.

Since 1887, 111 different quarterbacks have started at least 1 game under center for Notre Dame.

Of those 111, 13 started at least 25 games and ONE (Tony Rice) has a higher career winning percentage than Ian Book.

So yeah, “really good.”

Good stuff. Props.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

And based on his logic, Tom Brady is #9 on the Michigan list.

Nah, closer to top 5.

He barely got drafted though…wasn’t “VERY good” I guess.

(BTW:  Book had a higher career win percentage at ND than Brady did at Michigan.)

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Nah, closer to top 5.

He barely got drafted though…wasn’t “VERY good” I guess.

(BTW:  Book had a higher career win percentage at ND than Brady did at Michigan.)

You're the one who follows Michigan football, you tell us. I don't remember this college playing days. Was he Book good, better, or worse? Book was the ninth quarterback drafted in his class. Brady was sixth. 

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

You're the one who follows Michigan football, you tell us. I don't remember this college playing days. Was he Book good, better, or worse? Book was the ninth quarterback drafted in his class. Brady was sixth. 

Split time with Drew Henson (who eventually was drafted by the New York Yankees and chose to play baseball by George Steinbrenner (who got his Master’s from O$U which has led to Michigan fans’ conspiracy theories.))

Henson was the most prized football quarterback in program history.

Brady caught fire his senior year and won the job.

20-5 in games in which he appeared.  Didn’t start em all.

Lloyd Carr would actually split snaps by quarter with the two, lol.

Edited by temptation

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Not sure Brady is even top 10 all-time at Michigan if you’re strictly going off collegiate career, although I’m not terribly versed in Michigan QB’s.

I mean, you’ve gotta take the modern era into account.  Others won national titles before the forward pass became the cool thing to do.

Also depends on your criteria.  Guys like Chad Henne , Denard Robinson (a QB in name only) and John Navarre hold a lot of Michigan passing records because they were 3-4 year starters.

Guys like Harbaugh, Brady, Dennis Franklin, Brian Griese and Scott Dreisbach won a lot of big games but don’t have the eye popping career stats of the others.

Brady is EASILY top 10, probably top 5 if you just look at his Michigan career.

Not trying to hijack the thread.

15 hours ago, temptation said:

Henson was the most prized football quarterback in program history.

Did he go onto fame with some sort of puppet characters???

Seriously, thought the Brady all time ranking was interesting.  Most I read on-line had him 8 or 9....certainly top 10

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Did he go onto fame with some sort of puppet characters???

Seriously, thought the Brady all time ranking was interesting.  Most I read on-line had him 8 or 9....certainly top 10

I really don't remember Brady in college so that may be a "my bad" on my end. I do know Griese lead them to their last national title. Jim Harbaugh is synonymous with Michigan and always thought he had a better college career than Brady. Grbac lead them to multiple Rose Bowl and just figured there were some good UM QB's during Bo's hey day. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I really don't remember Brady in college so that may be a "my bad" on my end. I do know Griese lead them to their last national title. Jim Harbaugh is synonymous with Michigan and always thought he had a better college career than Brady. Grbac lead them to multiple Rose Bowl and just figured there were some good UM QB's during Bo's hey day. 

My favorite Michigan QB in the Bo days was Rick Leach.  Lefty QB that became a starter at QB early in his frosh year, which was pretty unheard of back then.  Outstanding football career and later became a 1st round baseball draft pick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Leach_(baseball)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

My favorite Michigan QB in the Bo days was Rick Leach.  Lefty QB that became a starter at QB early in his frosh year, which was pretty unheard of back then.  Outstanding football career and later became a 1st round baseball draft pick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Leach_(baseball)

Dennis Franklin. Played against him in high school.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Completely overlooked Leach and Elvis.

Embarassed. 

Tony Rice was the QB the last time Notre Dame won the Natty.  He was an excellent QB all around, just not a good  passer.

If thing progress today, and I sure hope it does, Swarbrick, Rees and Freeman may keep their jobs another week.

Should have given the ball to the big guy there!