Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Season 2022

Irishman

I’d really like to know what the big attraction for recruits is at Texas A&M. I mean, they haven’t even won their division in recent memory, let alone a conference title, let alone contend for a national title. Yet they get a real blue chip class in the Top 5 almost every year. It’s got to be more than Jimbo’s sunny disposition.

13 hours ago, temptation said:

Heard this one today…blew my mind.

If you look at the 247 composite recruiting rankings that assesses talent on each teams roster.

The gap from Alabama (1) to USC (11) is the same size as from USC (11) to Florida Atlantic (69).

Totally believable if you really look at how 247 does their rankings. In any given year, 247 only rates 30-35 players as 5* and then about 300-350 4*. Pre-NIL, Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State were typically raking in almost 20% of the total 4 and 5* in each class, there's not much talent left to evenly disperse once they dust settled. And there's still teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State, and Clemson who recruit extremely well themselves.

NIL caused a huge shakeup in last years recruiting spectrum. Be interesting to see how things play out going forward. UA, UGA, and OSU only accounted for 9 of the total 35 rated 5* prospects which was way down from the last few years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’d really like to know what the big attraction for recruits is at Texas A&M. I mean, they haven’t even won their division in recent memory, let alone a conference title, let alone contend for a national title. Yet they get a real blue chip class in the Top 5 almost every year. It’s got to be more than Jimbo’s sunny disposition.

$$$$$$

Sorry didn't see your post as I was typing my above reply. Want to say A&M's first recruiting class post-NIL tallied over $30 mil in endorsement deals. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Maybe it's the pretty girls.😁

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

Not sure what to think about this one. Is Leonhard considered to be a hot HC candidate this year? Seems like either: 

• Wisconsin made the difficult decision to let go of one of their own before his downslide continued to get worse and lock in a hot commodity who happens to also be one of their own

or

• Wisconsin just pulled a Nebraska (Solich or Polini) and things are about to get even worse in Madison.

6 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Not sure what to think about this one. Is Leonhard considered to be a hot HC candidate this year? Seems like either: 

• Wisconsin made the difficult decision to let go of one of their own before his downslide continued to get worse and lock in a hot commodity who happens to also be one of their own

or

• Wisconsin just pulled a Nebraska (Solich or Polini) and things are about to get even worse in Madison.

Chryst and Wisconsin have clearly lost their edge. They had a stranglehold on the West and haven't been getting it done the last few years. Wisconsin has finished in the top 25 just once the last four seasons and currently sit 2-3, and has one West division title since 2017 (2019). 

Leonhard is widely considered one of the best defensive coordinators in the country, but I think there has always been the feeling that he was in line to take over for Chryst when that day came. He'll get a 7 game audition for the head coaching position. 

Seems to be a lot of uncertainty in Madison. If Leonhard is just an interim solution, I do think UW is a program that could attract some really good coaches. Crazy to think that when I was in college, IU and UWM were regularly competing for bottom spots in the conference and just as crazy to see what Alvarez did with that program. I have LONG (Long before Allen or even Wilson were named HC) said someone in Bloomington needs to at least be consulting with Alvarez on how he built that program, and sustained it for so long. 

• Like 1

I remember many years ago as a teen, sitting in the endzone (called knothole seats back in the day) an IU team led by QB Tim Clifford spanked Wisconsin 24-0 (1980)  Year prior, IU beat Wisconsin 3-0.  The 1979 IU team beat a 11-0 BYU team in the Holiday Bowl.

Man, how both programs have went in opposite directions......

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Chryst and Wisconsin have clearly lost their edge. They had a stranglehold on the West and haven't been getting it done the last few years. Wisconsin has finished in the top 25 just once the last four seasons and currently sit 2-3, and has one West division title since 2017 (2019). 

Leonhard is widely considered one of the best defensive coordinators in the country, but I think there has always been the feeling that he was in line to take over for Chryst when that day came. He'll get a 7 game audition for the head coaching position. 

I thought that was the case. I'm kind of out of the loop nowadays on the hot Coordinators. I know the current AD played for Alvarez. Curious to see if he sticks with Leonard or goes outside of the Wisconsin family tree.

8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I thought that was the case. I'm kind of out of the loop nowadays on the hot Coordinators. I know the current AD played for Alvarez. Curious to see if he sticks with Leonard or goes outside of the Wisconsin family tree.

I think it's Leonhard's unless the team just falls off a mountain this year.

On 10/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, Bash Riprock said:

I remember many years ago as a teen, sitting in the endzone (called knothole seats back in the day) an IU team led by QB Tim Clifford spanked Wisconsin 24-0 (1980)  Year prior, IU beat Wisconsin 3-0.  The 1979 IU team beat a 11-0 BYU team in the Holiday Bowl.

Man, how both programs have went in opposite directions......

The 1980 team had high expectations I recall, then opened with a horrible home loss. Felt like the low point was the 1983 season with Sam Wyche's one and done before landing the Bengals gig. 

• Like 2

Paul Chryst once played QB for the Badgers, so it was a shock for those of us on the outside.  But UW fans, and apparently the administration, has a "demand better"  policy.   While Leonhard is a great defensive mind, he'll need to bring in quite an OC as they aren't putting up a lot of points.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, Footballking16 said:

I think it's Leonhard's unless the team just falls off a mountain this year.

Given that they play mostly West division teams for the rest of the season, I think they'll be decent.

1 hour ago, ragdoll said:

The 1980 team had high expectations I recall, then opened with a horrible home loss. Felt like the low point was the 1983 season with Sam Wyche's one and done before landing the Bengals gig. 

Great call.  I don't believe they were ranked top 20 preseason, but we just outside ranking.  Lost opener to Iowa at home, then went 4-1.  Fell down the stretch ending 6-5, including a 1 pt loss to Purdue in the Bucket game.  Purdue was ranked #9 preseason.  

• Like 1

On the flip side, that was a pretty big win for Bielema in my opion. He can now go to places Wisconsin has feasted in recruiting, especially Chicagoland, and say what they had is now in Champaign. Curios to see where this goes with Bielema as I think Illinois has long been a gross underachiever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boilernation said:

On the flip side, that was a pretty big win for Bielema in my opion. He can now go to places Wisconsin has feasted in recruiting, especially Chicagoland, and say what they had is now in Champaign. Curios to see where this goes with Bielema as I think Illinois has long been a gross underachiever.

Great observation...I think Wisconsin and Iowa have both had recruiting success in Chicago area....Michigan as well.   Bielema may just grab some turf of his own in that region.....