Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Season 2022

Irishman

11 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Great observation...I think Wisconsin and Iowa have both had recruiting success in Chicago area....Michigan as well.   Bielema may just grab some turf of his own in that region.....

For years, most B1G have been had a big recruiting presence in the Chicago area: Mike Alstott went to Purdue, Antwaan Randle-El went to IU, Chuck Long went to Iowa among many others.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Great call.  I don't believe they were ranked top 20 preseason, but we just outside ranking.  Lost opener to Iowa at home, then went 4-1.  Fell down the stretch ending 6-5, including a 1 pt loss to Purdue in the Bucket game.  Purdue was ranked #9 preseason.  

Got me curious and looked up that season. Horrible road loss to Minnesota did them in. Game in which Clifford was knocked out of game.  Today, a power 5 team with an even record (enough FBS wins) gets it in a decent $ bowl game. In 1980, 6-5 put a non-traditional power on the sideline for the holidays. The difference between 79 and 80 for IU was one regular season victory, that horrible loss at Minnesota.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ragdoll said:

Got me curious and looked up that season. Horrible road loss to Minnesota did them in. Game in which Clifford was knocked out of game.  Today, a power 5 team with an even record (enough FBS wins) gets it in a decent $ bowl game. In 1980, 6-5 put a non-traditional power on the sideline for the holidays. The difference between 79 and 80 for IU was one regular season victory, that horrible loss at Minnesota.

Great analysis!!  Spot on regarding the loss to Minnesota.

I enjoyed going to a number of games during that 2 year span.  Clifford was excellent...IU had a safety by the name of Tim Wilbur that was a treat to watch.  Really good backs with Lonnie Johnson and Mike Harkrader.  Lee Corso's son Steve was a WR on those teams.

I looked as well at the 1981 season...only won 3 games....all Big 10 wins over Northwestern, Minnesota and Purdue....by a total margin of only 5 points.  Babe Laufenberg became the starting QB and enjoyed a few years in the NFL.

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Great analysis!!  Spot on regarding the loss to Minnesota.

I enjoyed going to a number of games during that 2 year span.  Clifford was excellent...IU had a safety by the name of Tim Wilbur that was a treat to watch.  Really good backs with Lonnie Johnson and Mike Harkrader.  Lee Corso's son Steve was a WR on those teams.

I looked as well at the 1981 season...only won 3 games....all Big 10 wins over Northwestern, Minnesota and Purdue....by a total margin of only 5 points.  Babe Laufenberg became the starting QB and enjoyed a few years in the NFL.

Again, made me recall that era. Tim was the son of Ben Davis Coach Bob Wilbur whom the older brother of my friend in elementary school played for. Morten Andersen kicked for them and he missed the xp that lost the semistate game to Reitz. Wow. Bob Stephenson played for Reitz btw.  Tim was a really good punt returner.

Also, 1981 was a big disaster season for Northwestern while they were in that long losing streak and Dennis Green was their coach. Who didn't beat them. 

Who could forget Babe. The 1982 season was Corso's last and they were better, but, as a familiar IU story, they did not have enough dudes to be above average. And how many above average coaches has IU FB had  Corso to now? I liked Mallory a lot. He got enough dudes at times to make some decent teams, but IU did not make enough commitment to fb because it was always about basketball. 

• Like 2

Some great memories guys. I was in junior high when our coaches took us to the IU Illinois game. While it was cold, we had a great time. IU barely beat them, but a win is always a win. I think that was Mike White's 2nd season? Lonnie Johnson had a solid game, but we were able to get behind the bench....he was having a blast, chatting up everyone around him...on the team and in the stands. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ragdoll said:

Again, made me recall that era. Tim was the son of Ben Davis Coach Bob Wilbur whom the older brother of my friend in elementary school played for. Morten Andersen kicked for them and he missed the xp that lost the semistate game to Reitz. Wow. Bob Stephenson played for Reitz btw.  Tim was a really good punt returner.

Also, 1981 was a big disaster season for Northwestern while they were in that long losing streak and Dennis Green was their coach. Who didn't beat them. 

Who could forget Babe. The 1982 season was Corso's last and they were better, but, as a familiar IU story, they did not have enough dudes to be above average. And how many above average coaches has IU FB had  Corso to now? I liked Mallory a lot. He got enough dudes at times to make some decent teams, but IU did not make enough commitment to fb because it was always about basketball. 

Tim Wilbur returned a punt for a TD in the 1979 Holiday Bowl that ended up being the final margin in IU's upset over a 11-0 BYU team led by QB Marc Wilson.  I had forgotten he was Bob Wilbur's son.....

Northwestern...I also forgot that was the Dennis Green era....wow.  Big fan of Babe....I follow him on Twitter to this day.  He is very close with Troy Aikman, and I believe used to (still does?) announce for the Cowboys.  Babe sadly lost his son to cancer (was a football player at UTEP) and he still tweets about him often.  Heart-wrenching.

Mallory was the best coach for IU...certainly in the recent era.  I believe Terry Hoeppner would have been great as well.  He had them moving in the right direction until cancer cut his life very short.  

23 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Great observation...I think Wisconsin and Iowa have both had recruiting success in Chicago area....Michigan as well.   Bielema may just grab some turf of his own in that region.....

Michigan and Notre Dame generally get who they want out of Chicagoland. But, Wisconsin and Iowa (Michigan State to an extens) have been feasting on what they don't want and have been getting some highly rated players occasionally. I think it would turn the needle towards Illinois in Chicagoland if Bielima starts producing in Champaign at a higher level than those 3. Champaign isn't as nice as Madison and probably Iowa City, but they tend to recruit Chicago well when they have a positive buzz in Champaign.

23 hours ago, Gipper said:

For years, most B1G have been had a big recruiting presence in the Chicago area: Mike Alstott went to Purdue, Antwaan Randle-El went to IU, Chuck Long went to Iowa among many others.

Thornton Towship (my moms alma mater in Harvey) has definately seen better days. But, for a brief period in the '90's, they had Randle El, Tai Streets, and Napolean Harris in the hallways among others. 

Edited by Boilernation

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Michigan and Notre Dame generally get who they want out of Chicagoland. But, Wisconsin and Iowa (Michigan State to an extens) have been feasting on what they don't want and have been getting some highly rated players occasionally. I think it would turn the needle towards Illinois in Chicagoland if Bielima starts producing in Champaign at a higher level than those 3. Champaign isn't as nice as Madison and probably Iowa City, but they tend to recruit Chicago well when they have a positive buzz in Champaign.

I ran out of votes....agree 100%

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Thornton Towship (my moms alma mater in Harvey) has definately seen better days. But, for a brief period in the '90's, they had Randle El, Tai Streets, and Napolean Harris in the hallways among others. 

I drive in that area daily, not always the safest place to be.

8 minutes ago, Gipper said:

FWIW, Mike Alstott is from Joliet, 30 miles to the south.  But Purdue does get their fare share of players as Aidan O'Connell and Charlie Jones are both from the North Shore.

I don't disagree....but didn't both start their careers elsewhere....Jones at Buffalo and then Iowa....O'Connell D3 Wheaton College and walk-on at Purdue.  

But I do agree that Purdue has probably hit the Chicago region well over the years.  I think the point is that with Illinois improving, that sets them up to take a larger piece of that pie.

7 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't disagree....but didn't both start their careers elsewhere....Jones at Buffalo and then Iowa....O'Connell D3 Wheaton College and walk-on at Purdue.  

But I do agree that Purdue has probably hit the Chicago region well over the years.  I think the point is that with Illinois improving, that sets them up to take a larger piece of that pie.

Absolutely.  Brohm looks to be recruiting both Indianapolis (David Bell) and the state of Kentucky (Rondale Moore) as well as Ohio and the South.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I drive in that area daily, not always the safest place to be.

indeed. Definately not the same as when my mom lived there. She grew up in the small Village of Riverdale that is across the Little Cal River from Chicago. Her childhood home recently sold for a whopping ~$35K.

13 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

indeed. Definately not the same as when my mom lived there. She grew up in the small Village of Riverdale that is across the Little Cal River from Chicago. Her childhood home recently sold for a whopping ~$35K.

Not to offend, but I heard Riverdale has been called the worst town in Illinois.  I work with a lot of south-siders, they're good people, I feel bad for them.

On 10/7/2022 at 10:32 AM, Gipper said:

Absolutely.  Brohm looks to be recruiting both Indianapolis (David Bell) and the state of Kentucky (Rondale Moore) as well as Ohio and the South.

He has Jaron Tibbs and Kenrick Gilberts from Cathedral coming in next year.  Boilermaker fans will enjoy the play of both, especially Tibbs.  He can catch the ball and run with it after catching it.  He had an 80 yard TD call back last night where he just outran the entire Brebeuf secondary. Lineman down field.

Thought it was interesting the contrast in coaching styles yesterday by those schools with Heisman worthy quarterbacks.

Tennessee pulled Hooker at halftime of their blowout win over UT Martin while OSU had Stroud still throwing bombs and going for it on 4th down in the fourth quarter up 30+ points.

Just an observation.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised this has not been more of an issue at the big house. Seems like an awful tight space for both teams, and nowhere near enough measures in place to prevent this. This video gives the best view of the MSU player......hopefully arrested and former player wailing on a UM player with his helmet. Thankfully he never made contact with the player's head. But harbaugh said there were 2 incidents, but this is the only one that comes up. I saw too that there was an issue from the Penn State game. 
Notre Dame has had issues in their tunnel in the past. I am not sure when, but they actually cut into the stands for an alternate way in and out for the visiting team. Seeing that the ND stadium is a smaller version of the big house, will that be an off season project? 
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/espn-abc-tunnel-cam-video-footage-michigan-state-fight-reaction-jacoby-windmon?fbclid=IwAR3psR95l-M9kmV9399MPNc4vMW8L-DiuSqT6d7oyf_eZgQwUbClH-_Zju8

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...