Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Outlook?

10 hours ago, RegionFBFan said:

I don't completely disregard the Sagain ratings in fact I look at them every Saturday morning.  You just have to be mindful of the nuances mentioned by all above. 

As far as predictions, its way too early for me to start. Long way to go and teams will change for the better and for the worse.

I'm a big believer in defense wins championships. Andrean defense is fast and physical and has faced a variety of styles with some more to come. Even though they have given up some points, their defense has held up well considering they have been on the field alot through the first 3 games as the offense has had to find itself. The games vs Merrillville and CP were still close at the start of the 4th quarter thanks to the D.

Football is awesome!!

Agreed . . .  Defense certainly does win championships!

IMO when a defense has had to prep for a variety of offenses throughout the season, that preparation can be useful the deeper the state tournament run.  Spread, Wing-T, Power Football, passing team, the list goes on.  

The second way to win is if your offense sustains long drives to short the possessions in the game.

Opponent can not score if they don't have the ball.

The third portion is to win field position and turnover battle - Hang on to the ball and convert when given a short field.

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Any conversation about 2A state title talk has to start with Luers, regardless of their record. Nobody in 2A plays the schedule they play year in and year out and almost nobody in 2A has the athletes they have. Now, they don’t win the state title every year, but for anyone to dismiss them based on their regular season record is just not paying attention. Carry on…

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Any conversation about 2A state title talk has to start with Luers, regardless of their record. Nobody in 2A plays the schedule they play year in and year out and almost nobody in 2A has the athletes they have. Now, they don’t win the state title every year, but for anyone to dismiss them based on their regular season record is just not paying attention. Carry on…

I would say it would have to start with the defending state champions . Andrean does have the athletes and does play the schedule .

7 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Umm just so you know… Andrean has played a harder schedule last few years than luers. And it’s not close. I think right now they are ranked 25-30 spots apart on the schedule??? But 2A starts with Andrean. They right now look like a clear walkthrough ti me to state again. Once they put drayk in that backfield I don’t see much of anyone slowing him down! 

12 hours ago, Say it aint so said:

What laville gained in 365 days was a new offensive coordinator .

They gained a new OC but they're running the same stuff they have the last couple of years. (They do run it well). They don't do anything fancy, they just run behind their big oline and hit you with play action off of it.

3 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

Umm just so you know… Andrean has played a harder schedule last few years than luers. And it’s not close. I think right now they are ranked 25-30 spots apart on the schedule??? But 2A starts with Andrean. They right now look like a clear walkthrough ti me to state again. Once they put drayk in that backfield I don’t see much of anyone slowing him down! 

Umm, just so you know, playing Snider, Homestead, Carroll, and Dwenger, year in and year out, and all 5A and 6A schools, is harder than what I have seen Andrean play on a consistent basis. Yes, Andrean plays good team, but just not the meat grinder of a schedule that Luers plays

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

They gained a new OC but they're running the same stuff they have the last couple of years. (They do run it well). They don't do anything fancy, they just run behind their big oline and hit you with play action off of it.

Sometimes simple is the most effective.  I always thought that Pioneer was a great example of that ... nothing flashy, no trick plays, no screwy formations ... just line up and play ball and win.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I agree there. Of course having Mr. Kiser helped too 😉 

Didn't hurt while he was there, but Pioneer had been doing it successfully before he got there.

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

Sometimes simple is the most effective.  I always thought that Pioneer was a great example of that ... nothing flashy, no trick plays, no screwy formations ... just line up and play ball and win.

Ive always thought Linton was the epitome of that. Straight up football.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, fenderbender said:

Since IHSAA wend to 5 classes in 1985, Southridge and MD are the only real "South" teams to win 2A.

(I was grouping Monrovia and WeBo as more "Indy Area" than South.)

Southridge scored MORE points...But Woodlan's coach (AGAIN) lost a State Championship for his squad, IMO!  

Edited by Yuccaguy

On 9/15/2022 at 7:45 AM, Piratefan101 said:

When you failed to mention any Fort Wayne teams as contenders in 5a, I knew right off the bat that you didn't know much about football in Northeast Indiana. I'm guessing it has something to do with your age, 18-22 if I'm guessing right. But your "it's not close" comment really takes the cake here. I would argue that Luers has the harder schedule and it's not close.

Andrean is a great program and it's a compliment to say that 2a starts with them. But to Luers credit, they do have 11 state titles in that class. In 2020 they somehow allowed two scores in the final 1:30 that prevented them from number twelve. I'd also argue that they had the best team in 2a last year, but were the victim of an upset early in the tournament. No offense to the Eastside team that beat them last year, but Luers defeated Carroll, Dwenger, Homestead, and North Side. You won't find a better resume than that for a 2a program going back any number of years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BTF said:

No offense to the Eastside team that beat them last year, but Luers defeated Carroll, Dwenger, Homestead, and North Side. You won't find a better resume than that for a 2a program going back any number of years. 

I’m sure that Eastside team is not offended by this one bit since they were the ones representing the northeast against Andrean last season. They were awful happy to be a line item on that Luers’ team’s resume last year, which ended in an early loss in what the Knights were hoping would be a deep playoff run. 

Totally agree with the disappointment in the lack of respect for northeastern teams in 2A. There’s a lot of good football being played without the same attention that schools in other regions receive. 

31 minutes ago, Bunch Right Red Money said:

I’m sure that Eastside team is not offended by this one bit since they were the ones representing the northeast against Andrean last season. They were awful happy to be a line item on that Luers’ team’s resume last year, which ended in an early loss in what the Knights were hoping would be a deep playoff run. 

Totally agree with the disappointment in the lack of respect for northeastern teams in 2A. There’s a lot of good football being played without the same attention that schools in other regions receive. 

Them boys in Butler can play some football. I could see them meeting up with Luers again this year in yet another game decided by a touchdown or less.