Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Punt Return

I've had the pleasure of attending a few games this year, and I've gotta tell you. I don't like what I've been seeing. every single punt has been caught with a fair catch, or just not caught at all. This is cowardice. I propose that we implement a simple two step solution to solve this epidemic.

1. No more fair catches

2. Anything after 30 yards is a live ball.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 2

If you really think about it….this is really because kids are listening to their coaches and sticking to the gameplan as it unfolds.

you don’t see as many punt returns because punters are trying to get hang time and minimize a return….and the return kids are more disciplined/not selfish and will only take the return if it’s a situation that is favorable to the team. 

is safety a factor? Yes…but we have rules for protecting the players already.  This is more about teams wanting to just take the field position and get their offense out there…minimize the risk of not getting the defense off the field.  

if you want more punt returns in todays game you need to find matchups where the talent isn’t proportionate….like a punter on a team who can kick it further than his teammates can run in 6 seconds….or a returner who is a step above everyone in the speed department. 

1 hour ago, Rodney said:

Then he should go play baseball

According to Carlin, that could be made more exciting by letting guys take the bat with them around the bases on a hit.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Rodney said:

I've had the pleasure of attending a few games this year, and I've gotta tell you. I don't like what I've been seeing. every single punt has been caught with a fair catch, or just not caught at all. This is cowardice. I propose that we implement a simple two step solution to solve this epidemic.

1. No more fair catches

2. Anything after 30 yards is a live ball.

A man after my own heart. Although the illegal blindside block penalties need to be removed as well. 

If Tommy doesn’t want to be looking out of his earhole after running down on kick coverage, he should learn to keep his head on a swivel.

HEAD ON A SWIVEL. (Which just happens to be my life motto.) 

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

36 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

A man after my own heart. Although the illegal blindside block penalties need to be removed as well. 

If Tommy doesn’t want to be looking out of his earhole after running down on kick coverage, he should learn to keep his head on a swivel.

HEAD ON A SWIVEL. (Which just happens to be my life motto.) 

what an amazing contribution to this solution, I will happily add it into a three point strategy.

5 hours ago, Rodney said:

what an amazing contribution to this solution, I will happily add it into a three point strategy.

Is this the opportunity to pick up extra points to pick-up an additional three points?  Kind of like Carlin's 25-point bonus in basketball for any ball that goes into the basket off of another player's head?  Talk about a way to offset the running clock.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Or burying mines in the outfield.

It's funny in the Carlin piece for MLB, but I always see that, in a different way when I watch young kids play baseball.  With 9 and 10 year olds, there's no such thing as a routine fly ball.  Sometimes it's just like Vegas waiting for the roulette ball to finally settle into a slot ... or fly off the table completely.

• Like 1

You could always adopt Canadian rules: 

No fair catches, but the kicking team has to give the returner a 5-yard halo until he touches the ball (if not, it's a 15-yard "no-yards" penalty). 

The kicker and any player who is behind the kicker when the ball is kicked (this includes both free kicks and punts) may recover the ball and gain possession for his team, as well as advance it (which incentivizes the return team to pick up the ball). 

4 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

You could always adopt Canadian rules: 

No fair catches, but the kicking team has to give the returner a 5-yard halo until he touches the ball (if not, it's a 15-yard "no-yards" penalty). 

The kicker and any player who is behind the kicker when the ball is kicked (this includes both free kicks and punts) may recover the ball and gain possession for his team, as well as advance it (which incentivizes the return team to pick up the ball). 

Definitely some fun stuff, eh.  I went down the rabbit hole of Canadian football highlights one night and stumbled across this beauty DonChaKnow:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

How do you feel about a runner going out of bounds to avoid a tackle? A QB throwing the ball away to avoid a sack?

We could have the It Follows rule.  Basically, once you touch the ball you will be hit/tackled unless you give it away to someone else. :classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

We could have the It Follows rule.  Basically, once you touch the ball you will be hit/tackled unless you give it away to someone else. :classic_smile:

I’m guessing @Rodneywould prefer to do away with football altogether, the way it’s currently played, and replace it with Buzkashi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m guessing @Rodneywould prefer to do away with football altogether, the way it’s currently played, and replace it with Buzkashi.

No wonder the goats get real nervous when fall approaches. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

No wonder the goats get real nervous when fall approaches. :classic_laugh:

It would also be a way to break the stranglehold central Indiana schools have on championships … given the relative scarcity of goats in central Indiana. Southern Indiana schools would have “inherent advantages.” We may have to go with some form of “goat multiplier” eventually.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

I find using the dead goat to be a little disrespectful, but I wouldn't mind putting half of each team on a horse at any given time. (players who get a horse can be decided by the coach and can changed at any given time, to promote strategic gameplay.)

• Haha 2