Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp’s Big Ten Rankings After Week 3

temptation

Feel like we can accurately assess most conference teams after three weeks.

Here goes.

1.  Ohio State

2.  Michigan 

3.  Penn State

4.  Minnesota

5.  Wisconsin

6.  Michigan State

7.  Purdue

8.  Maryland

9.  Iowa

10.  Rutgers

11. Indiana

12. Illinois

13.  Northwestern 

14.  Nebraska

What say you?

7 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Hard to argue......Penn State looked really good, and may move up later. Scary thing is they have a few freshmen that are REALLY good. I think we will see a lot of movement in the teams at 6-10. 

How bad is Auburn?

Taking nothing away from Penn State but all I heard this off season was that their offensive line was putrid and would hold them back yet they steam rolled Auburn’s defense.

Could not run against Purdue yet they put up 250 on Auburn?

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

How bad is Auburn?

Taking nothing away from Penn State but all I heard this off season was that their offensive line was putrid and would hold them back yet they steam rolled Auburn’s defense.

Could not run against Purdue yet they put up 250 on Auburn?

Harsin won’t make it through the season.

40 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Northwestern becomes the first team from a Power 5 conference to lose to a FCS opponent....Southern Illinois.

Southern Illinois was 0-2 coming into the game, and lost their opener to Incarnate Word (?) 64-29.

Wow....

Which makes you think....just how bad is Nebraska? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Michigan should be lower

if Purdue was 3-0 right now they wouldn’t be ranked that high and Purdue has played better teams than Michigan by far.  

i think Michigan is 4th right now. Behind OSU Penn state and Mn.  Arguably Wisconsin too but that’s just my bias showing 

Well Purdue isn't 3-0, they're 1-2. And a 3-0 Purdue team would be ranked right behind Michigan and Ohio State had that been the case. 

There is still a level of an eye test that goes into this and despite playing 3 high school teams, Michigan looks the part.

Wisconsin doesn't belong anywhere near this list. The lost at home to Washington State. 

On 9/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, temptation said:

Feel like we can accurately assess most conference teams after three weeks.

Here goes.

1.  Ohio State

2.  Michigan 

3.  Penn State

4.  Minnesota

5.  Wisconsin

6.  Michigan State

7.  Purdue

8.  Maryland

9.  Iowa

10.  Rutgers

11. Indiana

12. Illinois

13.  Northwestern 

14.  Nebraska

What say you?

1. OSU

2. UM

3. Penn St

4. Minnesota

5. Mich State

6. Maryland

7. Wisconsin

8. Purdue

9. Iowa

10. Indiana

11. Rutgers

12. Illinois

13. Northwestern

14. Nebraska

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Which makes you think....just how bad is Nebraska? 

The crazy part was, watching the Nebraska NU game, it was a great game. Both teams played well. I did not get the impression that either team was bad; much less THAT FREAKIN bad.....wow. 

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The crazy part was, watching the Nebraska NU game, it was a great game. Both teams played well. I did not get the impression that either team was bad; much less THAT FREAKIN bad.....wow. 

Nebraska is (was) horribly coached and their defense is just atrocious. No doubt it was an exciting game but when Northwestern does that to your defense it should have been foreshadowing. They've given up 31 to NW, 17 to an FCS team that was a game through 3 quarters, 45 to GA Southern, and 49 to Oklahoma who called off the dogs early. 

Edited by Footballking16

15 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Well Purdue isn't 3-0, they're 1-2. And a 3-0 Purdue team would be ranked right behind Michigan and Ohio State had that been the case. 

There is still a level of an eye test that goes into this and despite playing 3 high school teams, Michigan looks the part.

Wisconsin doesn't belong anywhere near this list. The lost at home to Washington State. 

The eye test means nothing for Michigan  playing who they have played.  

My problem is we have seen this too many times with Michigan. Until they can beat out of conference ranked opponents I won’t say they deserve to be ranked just under OSU.  

Michigan under Harbaugh has consistently been able to pull in 5star guys and plenty of 4 star guys…..and they end up underperforming with them.  I bet 70% of the B1G would outperform Michigan if they had the exact same recruiting classes as Harbaugh has had. 

1 minute ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

The eye test means nothing for Michigan  playing who they have played.  

My problem is we have seen this too many times with Michigan. Until they can beat out of conference ranked opponents I won’t say they deserve to be ranked just under OSU.  

Michigan under Harbaugh has consistently been able to pull in 5star guys and plenty of 4 star guys…..and they end up underperforming with them.  I bet 70% of the B1G would outperform Michigan if they had the exact same recruiting classes as Harbaugh has had. 

They were in the CFB playoff last year. Penn State has routinely taken dumps outside the conference and Wisconsin hasn't beaten anybody to date AND has already lost at home to Washington State. 3-0 Minnesota hasn't played a soul either and there's no way they look better than Michigan right now. 

I hate to defend Michigan and Harbaugh, but outside Georgia, they look about as good as anybody in the country and I don't care who they've played. Penn State is the only team that you can even attempt to make an argument should be ahead of Michigan right now.

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

They were in the CFB playoff last year. Penn State has routinely taken dumps outside the conference and Wisconsin hasn't beaten anybody to date AND has already lost at home to Washington State. 3-0 Minnesota hasn't played a soul either and there's no way they look better than Michigan right now. 

I hate to defend Michigan and Harbaugh, but outside Georgia, they look about as good as anybody in the country and I don't care who they've played. Penn State is the only team that you can even attempt to make an argument should be ahead of Michigan right now.

I think people are too hung up on last year and how much of an impact haskins/Aiden had for that team.  

i just don’t think they have proven anything yet…I sure as hell don’t think they should be ranked 4th in the country.

i know Penn state has taken some losses out of conference but at least they schedule those games. 

there are 7 teams currently 3-0 in the B1G and 4 who are 2-1. 

the teams Michigan has played are right now a combined 0-9 against FBS opponents this year and have 2 wins against FCS schools

the fcs schools are Duquesne University who is 1-3 and lost to Hawaii by just 10 points.  Their 1 win was against an NAIA school that is typically a .500 team 

and Central Connecticut State who is  0-3 and lost 28-3 against Connecticut….a game that was 7-3 at the half and 14-3 entering the 4th

Michigan loaded with 4 and 5 star talent is playing teams that can barely win against bad FCS schools. 

im just not going to give them any credit until they do something worth noting.  

All the teams that are 3-0 right now

Penn State with #37 SoS

Ohio State with #69

Indiana with #102

Maryland with #105

Rutgers with #116

Minnesota with #130

Michigan with #131

it’s that bad 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Maryland gives them all they can handle.  Maryland just happens to have Tua’s little brother at QB and he can sling it. 

1 minute ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think people are too hung up on last year and how much of an impact haskins/Aiden had for that team.  

i just don’t think they have proven anything yet…I sure as hell don’t think they should be ranked 4th in the country.

i know Penn state has taken some losses out of conference but at least they schedule those games. 

there are 7 teams currently 3-0 in the B1G and 4 who are 2-1. 

the teams Michigan has played are right now a combined 0-9 against FBS opponents this year and have 2 wins against FCS schools

the fcs schools are Duquesne University who is 1-3 and lost to Hawaii by just 10 points.  Their 1 win was against an NAIA school that is typically a .500 team 

and Central Connecticut State who is  0-3 and lost 28-3 against Connecticut….a game that was 7-3 at the half and 14-3 entering the 4th

Michigan loaded with 4 and 5 star talent is playing teams that can barely win against bad FCS schools. 

im just not going to give them any credit until they do something worth noting.  

All the teams that are 3-0 right now

Penn State with #37 SoS

Ohio State with #69

Indiana with #102

Maryland with #105

Rutgers with #116

Minnesota with #130

Michigan with #131

it’s that bad 

So you would rank Minnesota ahead of Michigan (as you previously stated above) because Minnesota's SOS is one spot higher than Michigan? That's legit the worst rationale I've ever heard. 

Penn State is the only team in the B10 who comes close to making an argument that they should be ranked ahead of Michigan. Penn State is good, they aren't Michigan good. 

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

So you would rank Minnesota ahead of Michigan (as you previously stated above) because Minnesota's SOS is one spot higher than Michigan? That's legit the worst rationale I've ever heard. 

Penn State is the only team in the B10 who comes close to making an argument that they should be ranked ahead of Michigan. Penn State is good, they aren't Michigan good. 

For the annoyance, yeah I would put Minnesota over MU.  3 years ago they were 11-2 and last year 9-4.  It’s not like they are Rutgers. 

ultimately though.  I see this Michigan team as a 9-3 team and probably finishes #20-25 in the nation 

hasaan haskins had to have some crazy games last year with 20+ TDs to get them where they were and they had Aiden Hutchinson who was by far and away the best college defender.  

There is no eye test for this team right now…it’s just riding the success of last year while getting confirmation bias against truly one of the worst schedules so far. They haven’t been tested at all and it’s going to only take 1 close game with a conference opponent for people to move them closer to #10 immediately.  1 loss and they probably drop to 15 because nobody will pick them over OSU at that point. 

And that’s the problem.  The actual best programs can take a loss and still be ranked in the top 10 because they still have something to point at and say “we are still great”.  If Michigan loses they have last year. 

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Michigan should be lower

if Purdue was 3-0 right now they wouldn’t be ranked that high and Purdue has played better teams than Michigan by far.  

i think Michigan is 4th right now. Behind OSU Penn state and Mn.  Arguably Wisconsin too but that’s just my bias showing 

LOL, gimme the reasoning on Minnesota…

New Mexico State, Western Illinois and Colorado are powerhouses huh?

2 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

For the annoyance, yeah I would put Minnesota over MU.  3 years ago they were 11-2 and last year 9-4.  It’s not like they are Rutgers. 

ultimately though.  I see this Michigan team as a 9-3 team and probably finishes #20-25 in the nation 

hasaan haskins had to have some crazy games last year with 20+ TDs to get them where they were and they had Aiden Hutchinson who was by far and away the best college defender.  

There is no eye test for this team right now…it’s just riding the success of last year while getting confirmation bias against truly one of the worst schedules so far. They haven’t been tested at all and it’s going to only take 1 close game with a conference opponent for people to move them closer to #10 immediately.  1 loss and they probably drop to 15 because nobody will pick them over OSU at that point. 

And that’s the problem.  The actual best programs can take a loss and still be ranked in the top 10 because they still have something to point at and say “we are still great”.  If Michigan loses they have last year. 

Where do you see 3 losses on this Michigan schedule? I made a bet with @temptationin the offseason that Michigan wouldn't win 10+ games and am already regretting it. The B10 is awful this year and Michigan's schedule is extremely favorable. Their 3 hardest remaining games are home games against Penn State and Michigan State and an away game at Ohio State to end the year. I think at worst Michigan goes 10-2 but they will be a TD+ favorite in every game until the rivalry game with Ohio State. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Where do you see 3 losses on this Michigan schedule? I made a bet with @temptationin the offseason that Michigan wouldn't win 10+ games and am already regretting it. The B10 is awful this year and Michigan's schedule is extremely favorable. Their 3 hardest remaining games are home games against Penn State and Michigan State and an away game at Ohio State to end the year. I think at worst Michigan goes 10-2 but they will be a TD+ favorite in every game until the rivalry game with Ohio State. 

@ Iowa still makes me nervous.  Crazy nonsense always seems to happen  there…must be the pink locker rooms.

Thankfully it was announced as a noon game today.  Want no part of the hornet’s nest that is Kinnick at night.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I don’t want you to hedge against yourself on a bet lol

I think Penn state/OSU and then they lose to someone they shouldn’t 

might even be Maryland. 

10-2 also possible and I’m not against it….but I don’t think they are nearly as good as last year 

Just now, temptation said:

@ Iowa still makes me nervous.  Crazy nonsense always seems to happen  there…must be the pink locker rooms.

Thankfully it was announced as a noon game today.  Want no part of the hornet’s nest that is Kinnick at night.

That was my third loss for Michigan when I had originally made the bet with you. Iowa would have to play 8 quarters to score enough points to beat Michigan. 

I still think the Wolverines get rolled by Ohio State in a revenge game from last year but I just don't see them losing any more than two games, if two at all.