Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern (5-0) at Heritage Hills (3-2)

Gibson Southern (5-0) at Heritage Hills (3-2)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Patriot Field.
COACHES: Nick Hart, 110-20 in 11th year at Gibson Southern. Todd Wilkerson, 79-38 in 11th year at Heritage Hills.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Gibson Southern, 72.55, 56th overall, 7th in 3A. Heritage Hills, 53.88, 124th overall, 25th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Gibson Southern defeated Southridge, 24-14. Heritage Hills lost to North Posey, 33-26,2OT.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Gibson Southern 11-13. Heritage Hills 14-11.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Heritage Hills, 25-11
LAST MEETING: Gibson Southern, 42-7, Nov. 5, 2021, sectional.
jh PREDICTION: Gibson Southern, 38-21.

History of the Hart Wilkerson era

09-21-2012 Heritage Hills 10 - 14 Gibson Southern 28-6

09-27-2013 Heritage Hills 26 - 50 Gibson Southern 28-7

09-26-2014 Heritage Hills 38 - 33 Gibson Southern 29-7

11-07-2014 Heritage Hills 14 - 13 Gibson Southern 30-7

09-25-2015 Heritage Hills 13 - 42 Gibson Southern 30-8

09-23-2016 Heritage Hills 10 - 38 Gibson Southern 30-9

09-22-2017 Heritage Hills 7 - 48 Gibson Southern 30-10

09-21-2018 Heritage Hills 31 - 7 Gibson Southern 31-10

10-26-2018 Heritage Hills 14 - 24 Gibson Southern 31-11

09-27-2019 Heritage Hills 49 - 14 Gibson Southern 32-11

11-01-2019 Heritage Hills 21 - 20 Gibson Southern 33-11

09-25-2020 Heritage Hills 0 - 38 Gibson Southern 33-12

10-23-2020 Heritage Hills 10 - 21 Gibson Southern 33-13

09-24-2021Heritage Hills 3 - 42 Gibson Southern 33-14

11-05-2021Heritage Hills 7 - 42 Gibson Southern 33-15

CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings
PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2022] Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 38, [2022] Heritage Hills (Lincoln City, IN) 10

image.thumb.png.fe7786d05d144e0f709ad88d882c9ec5.png

image.png.a75fddb4aeb1b2ae9761722272811fb0.png

• Like 1

Gibson Southern (64.73) is a 16.5-point favorite vs. Heritage Hills (46.62) and has about a 78.19% chance of winning (1.47-point home-field advantage).

I think that Sagarin's ratings are still significantly skewed toward the weaker side for Gibson. I'd add at least a touchdown or two to their predictor rating.

ETA: Has Gibson already played seven games? @Titan32

4 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Gibson Southern (64.73) is a 16.5-point favorite vs. Heritage Hills (46.62) and has about a 78.19% chance of winning (1.47-point home-field advantage).

I think that Sagarin's ratings are still significantly skewed toward the weaker side for Gibson. I'd add at least a touchdown or two to their predictor rating.

What am I missing on 7 games?  Did I mess something up lol?

I think HH is close to a breakthrough.  What I have observed over the years is they are able to make a few personnel tweaks about this time of year that will pay huge dividends.  Also, they will save some interesting wrinkle for us and it could be on either side of the ball.  Any time we have played at the jungle I have never felt like the favorite at any level.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Maybe

i think the ELO score (i think it’s that one) probably the best right now.  ELO has GS at 33rd while the other two are in the 60s 

33rd best team in the state seems fair 

11 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Maybe

i think the ELO score (i think it’s that one) probably the best right now.  ELO has GS at 33rd while the other two are in the 60s 

33rd best team in the state seems fair 

Sagarin doesn't count our South Warren game at all.  You can see the difference that makes in Calpreps.

6 hours ago, TitanFootball said:

What happened to the Goldsberry kid playing QB this yr?  That was the rumor in the off-season. 

Well

he leads the team in tackles…..and though he only has 1 rush attempt…it went for 63 yards and a td lol 

maybe it’s not QB but he seems to be making an impact. 

13 hours ago, TitanFootball said:

What happened to the Goldsberry kid playing QB this yr?  That was the rumor in the off-season. 

As has been stated, that was just as you said, a rumor.  Around here, we knew that he wouldn't get a shot at it so I think that was just the talk outside of the area.  The kid that everyone thought might get a shot at QB is a sophomore, I am not sure he got a shot....dunno about that.

Goldsberry only has got in on offense a few times and has carried the ball once, and well, we saw how that went.  I said something to him about it the next week and he told me that he told Todd, "Give me the ball and I will score."   LOL--he doesn't lack confidence.   We don't often play freshman on offense....it is extremely rare, Clayton started freshman Cole Seifrig on Defense (20 years ago), but not on offense....he was likely the fastest kid on the field over all.   Kenton Crews...   Of course Jay, but he wasn't QB.

Jett is playing at a level above virtually everyone on the field.  You will see a bunch of him, next year.  And yes he is leading the team in tackles, but he is doing that as a DB not a linebacker.  That is impressive.  Put the kid at linebacker and see where that number goes--way ↑. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TitanFootball said:

Not into the rumor game - but word on the street is Coach Wilk is getting a lot of heat to make this happen. Will see how it transpires...

19 minutes ago, jets said:

Not into the rumor game - but word on the street is Coach Wilk is getting a lot of heat to make this happen. Will see how it transpires...

I don’t know if this is the week to make any changes or if this is the right move to make.  

i mean…I don’t really care who it is….starting a freshman at QB in their first start against GS…not ideal at all.  This is a matchup meant more for the upperclassmen imo.  But if he were to play and do well…well at least HH knows they got their guy for the next 3 1/2 years.  

pros and cons for sure 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I don’t know if this is the week to make any changes or if this is the right move to make.  

i mean…I don’t really care who it is….starting a freshman at QB in their first start against GS…not ideal at all.  This is a matchup meant more for the upperclassmen imo.  But if he were to play and do well…well at least HH knows they got their guy for the next 3 1/2 years.  

pros and cons for sure 

QB change?  I'd say that ship has sailed. But you know that is a discussion.  

2 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

And yes he is leading the team in tackles, but he is doing that as a DB not a linebacker.

I guess it may depend on how the HH defense uses their DBs on run fits, but having one lead the team in tackles can't be a good sign for the overall D performance, right?  I don't mean that as a disparaging comment or for bulletin board material.  I've just not seen a DB lead in tackles when the front 7/8 are performing as you'd like.  I speak from personal experience from roughly two and a half decades ago... and it wasn't a good thing in that instance.  Some of us preferred getting PBUs and INTs, not taking on bearded 195# RBs who slobbered at the chance to try to steamroll a baby faced CB.  Almost thought about getting one of those giant old school linebacker neck rolls, but I digress. lol

That just made me check back a few seasons to look at the HH ppg allowed. It looks like right at 19/game so far in 2022.  Last year it was under 10 (excluding the two GS games).  2019 was closer to 6 (excluding the Chatard game), and 2018 was about the same.  The 2022 HH offense looks to be throwing up plenty of points and the two losses on paper look to be pretty close... basically less than two scores away from being 5-0.  I know it is still early and HH is always dangerous, but that ~20 ppg allowed seems very out of the ordinary.  Do you think it is a matter of moving some pieces around or tweaking the scheme some to better fit the players in place?  Or is this sort of just an odd year for the D?

35 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

I guess it may depend on how the HH defense uses their DBs on run fits, but having one lead the team in tackles can't be a good sign for the overall D performance, right?  I don't mean that as a disparaging comment or for bulletin board material.  I've just not seen a DB lead in tackles when the front 7/8 are performing as you'd like.  I speak from personal experience from roughly two and a half decades ago... and it wasn't a good thing in that instance.  Some of us preferred getting PBUs and INTs, not taking on bearded 195# RBs who slobbered at the chance to try to steamroll a baby faced CB.  Almost thought about getting one of those giant old school linebacker neck rolls, but I digress. lol

That just made me check back a few seasons to look at the HH ppg allowed. It looks like right at 19/game so far in 2022.  Last year it was under 10 (excluding the two GS games).  2019 was closer to 6 (excluding the Chatard game), and 2018 was about the same.  The 2022 HH offense looks to be throwing up plenty of points and the two losses on paper look to be pretty close... basically less than two scores away from being 5-0.  I know it is still early and HH is always dangerous, but that ~20 ppg allowed seems very out of the ordinary.  Do you think it is a matter of moving some pieces around or tweaking the scheme some to better fit the players in place?  Or is this sort of just an odd year for the D?

A couple things, it may be the D-line and the LBs slouching a bit, but Jett absolutely flies to the ball and never takes a play off.  The kid ain't scared, but he ain't got whooped by the bearded man that you mention above yet....after all he is a boy playing with men.

Odd year?  Yes, it seems that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

2014 flashbacks with this.  

Logan Wilkerson was the best QB that we have had since the Clayton era ended.  He wasn't as fast and shifty as Cole Sigler, but he was the best all around QB that we have had in the last 10 years.  Cool, collected kid, could throw well and would burn you if you flushed him.  That is not to be dogging on anybody else at the QB spot, it just is what it is.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

Logan Wilkerson was the best QB that we have had since the Clayton era ended.  He wasn't as fast and shifty as Cole Sigler, but he was the best all around QB that we have had in the last 10 years.  Cool, collected kid, could throw well and would burn you if you flushed him.  That is not to be dogging on anybody else at the QB spot, it just is what it is.  

He was the only one who was good enough to get HH to change up their scheme on offense a little.  The level of versatility that team had was nuts and it was just crazy to run the spread and more pass happy concepts but then at a moments notice switch it up and use the wish/flex and milk the clock completely dry.  Very hard to find a QB who can do this for a team. 

in some ways, I see some comparable things between GS and it’s QBs. Everyone will agree that Brady Allen was by far and away the best QB GS has ever had.  No question to it. 

but nick sellers from 2013-2015 played some truly phenomenal ball.  He set pretty much every passing record at GS before Brady played and on top of that he was a big bodied runner who put up 36 rushing TDs in 37 games around 1400 rushing yards.  All around just great at everything.

to me at least, that’s what exciting about Boyd at QB now…we have the type of QB that is a true dual threat but one that can still light it up in the pass game. 

• Like 1

Indeed Tanner is a very Sellers type QB.  Sellers was special, not to mention a great kid.....his little brother should be a freshman now, no?  He was a little guy last time I saw him, but SURELY he plays football.  Last time I saw him was on the basketball court in middle school.

59 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

Indeed Tanner is a very Sellers type QB.  Sellers was special, not to mention a great kid.....his little brother should be a freshman now, no?  He was a little guy last time I saw him, but SURELY he plays football.  Last time I saw him was on the basketball court in middle school.

I’m not aware of any younger sellers than Isaac…but Isaac played for Gs 2016/2017 and has been a coach since then I believe.  At least for last year GS had both Sellers on the sideline coaching. An understated thing that helped Brady have the year he had no doubt. 

Maybe I’m just old now.  Nick was a freshman when I was a senior….and he graduated in 2015/16….yeah I’m old now 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

30 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m not aware of any younger sellers than Isaac…but Isaac played for Gs 2016/2017 and has been a coach since then I believe.  At least for last year GS had both Sellers on the sideline coaching. An understated thing that helped Brady have the year he had no doubt. 

Maybe I’m just old now.  Nick was a freshman when I was a senior….and he graduated in 2015/16….yeah I’m old now 

Lloyd Sellers is a freshman receiver.

• Like 1