Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern (5-0) at Heritage Hills (3-2)

43 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

"More stupider".....south gibson education?

Just messing...

(Note to self:  Label my self-satirical humor when in a HH thread next time) 😁

No, sir.  I proudly gots me edumacation from the Land of Lincoln.  That's a totally different state than Indiana.

On a more serious note, how much to get one of those pavers for the HH Hall of Fame Plaza?  I have a design idea and a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket:

GS.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

7C063285-7FA0-4C2C-B57F-EE02167D6817.thumb.jpeg.59725f5c6e9d38b6d3e0a2e8357f9333.jpeg

A61DA349-C42A-42C7-AB36-CA0830D3C47D.thumb.jpeg.d48c70ca183a588a5d3069c9089d9496.jpeg

Final box score for this game.  Can’t imagine either team is happy with the turnover tonight….but both teams played hard and in the rain. Good win for the Titans today. 

Continuing to meet adversity, and continuing to overcome it.  These kids just keep fighting 

Yeah we overcame a LOT.  The umpire not allowing any tempo was cute.

Using Bobref's post on good mechanics....tonights crew didnt score well.

particular order of priority or frequency:

1. Do the wing officials “square off” their forward progress spots? Proper technique, other than in goal line situations, is to trail the play up the sideline to the forward progress spot, and then move in perpendicular to the sideline. If that wing official’s route to the spot looks like a banana, that’s a sign of lack of attention to detail that doesn’t bode well for other calls.

2. Does the crew make timeouts look like a local officials’ association meeting? Everyone on the crew has a specific job to do during a dead ball interval. That is not the right time for the crew to all get together and chew the fat.

3. Is the sideline clean? IHSAA officials are under a very clear mandate to properly manage the sidelines. This means no coaches on the field itself at any time, except during charged or injury timeouts, and no one in the 6 ft. “restricted area” when the ball is alive. All coaches are fully aware of this. If the crew is lax in its enforcement of this directive, it’ll likely be lax in other areas as well.

4. Is the goal line covered? Goal line officiating is probably the greatest challenge for a 5-person crew. There is a complex set of mechanics associated with goal line officiating, but they all boil down to one thing: having someone on the goal line in a position to rule on a TD. It’s not easy, and it’s not always possible. But if a kid scores on an off tackle run from the 4 yd. line, and the wing official signaling the TD is at the 2, that’s a real problem.

5. Watch the two officials under the crossbar on a scoring kick (try or field goal). Are they talking to one another before the snap (they are supposed to be identifying eligible receivers and communicating that to one another)? Do they have to look at one another before signaling the kick? They shouldn’t. If the kick threatens an upright, and is above the top of the goalposts, does only the official on that side signal the kick? When both officials signal, do they do it in unison? Attention to details like these spills over into other areas of officiating.

6. Proper use of the beanbag is another such detail. Does the back judge use a beanbag to mark the spot where every punt ends, even if there’s a fair catch, or the ball is downed by the kickers? When the ball is fumbled, do the officials mark the spot of the fumble with a beanbag? Do they refrain from using the bag for marking the spot of a fumble behind the LOS? If a kick was “first touched,” did they mark that spot?

7. What happens during penalty enforcements? All 5 crew members have specific duties during the administration of penalties. Are all the officials moving with purpose? Or is administration left to the Referee and Umpire, while the other 3 crew members just sort of wander around?

8. Does the crew hustle? I see a lot of walking around some Friday nights. That sort of body language can be interpreted as lack of engagement, which can be fatal to your credibility. Good officials avoid it like the plague.

9. How many whistles blow at the end of the play? On most plays, two are plenty. One is better. Too many whistles means too many officials watching the ball … and not paying attention to other responsibilities.

10. How does the crew handle the ball? Proficient crews use well-established ball handling procedures designed to get the ball back in play as efficiently as possible. It’s done with a minimum of delay, and the ball doesn’t spend any time on the ground.

Realistically, you cannot evaluate the crew’s performance in many areas without formal training and a better vantage point. But these 10 things to watch for will give you a pretty good idea of what you’re dealing with as a crew.

•  

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Can’t imagine either team is happy with the turnover tonight….but both teams played hard and in the rain. Good win for the Titans today. 

"Rain" is probably a pretty generous term. It misted, but I'm sure from the press box it looked worse than it was with the lights shining down (if you were hearing it on the radio). I'm still wearing the clothes I went to the game in if that says anything.  But it was definitely wet, I don't mean to diminish that part.  It did get a tad heavier at halftime, but let up again before the 3rd. Admittedly some sloppy play from both sides, and I can't imagine either coach is pleased with the TOs, but a couple were more good defensive plays than offensive errors. But tell that to a HC! 😂 Both side played hard and didn't let up.

Good game tonight, HH. Still glad we don't have to see you in sectionals this year!

17 minutes ago, Titan20 said:

Well learned two things tonight…that Heritage Hills’ 2 minute offense just means their QB sprints to the sideline after each play instead of a leisurely stroll.  

I imagine the 2 minute drill in practice consist of the offense watching the qb run gassers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

(Note to self:  Label my self-satirical humor when in a HH thread next time) 😁

No, sir.  I proudly gots me edumacation from the Land of Lincoln.  That's a totally different state than Indiana.

On a more serious note, how much to get one of those pavers for the HH Hall of Fame Plaza?  I have a design idea and a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket:

GS.jpg

Yeah, I caught it....but seriously, you are going to admit that you are from Illinois?  (My dad is from there too--explains all my problems)

As for the paver, that is easy.  Send a check to Heritage Hills Quarterback Club for $1,000,000.  Next to your paver we will place our championship record.  

Again my man, just screwing with you.  We will sell you one for way less than that.  10K?

8 hours ago, Titan20 said:

Well learned two things tonight…that Heritage Hills’ 2 minute offense just means their QB sprints to the sideline after each play instead of a leisurely stroll.  

And Willowdale Nursing home in Dale supplies the officiating crew!

Dude, don't get me started.  A buddy asked me last night why we still do that....It has to be right we have done it for 50 years!  Geesh.

The ref on the chains was 80.  Steve Seifert (white hat) told me that last night.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

7C063285-7FA0-4C2C-B57F-EE02167D6817.thumb.jpeg.59725f5c6e9d38b6d3e0a2e8357f9333.jpeg

A61DA349-C42A-42C7-AB36-CA0830D3C47D.thumb.jpeg.d48c70ca183a588a5d3069c9089d9496.jpeg

Final box score for this game.  Can’t imagine either team is happy with the turnover tonight….but both teams played hard and in the rain. Good win for the Titans today. 

Continuing to meet adversity, and continuing to overcome it.  These kids just keep fighting 

Take out the blocked punt and the botched drive at the start of the 2nd half and it is a much more interesting game.  We still don't win, but it is more interesting.

8 hours ago, Titan76 said:

I imagine the 2 minute drill in practice consist of the offense watching the qb run gassers.

Send 2 plays in?  I dunno...maybe a thought.  We will be doing this forever.

9 hours ago, Titan76 said:

10. How does the crew handle the ball? Proficient crews use well-established ball handling procedures designed to get the ball back in play as efficiently as possible. It’s done with a minimum of delay, and the ball doesn’t spend any time on the ground.

🤐

10 hours ago, Titan76 said:

Curious to know how many total  Freshmen HH has. I was surprised to hear they canceled the remainder of their season, including their game with GS Freshmen.  

I could really be off here but since the JV QB went down in the varsity game (with what seems to be a really bad injury, prayers for that young man), the freshman QB had to play JV.  My guess is there is nobody left to play freshman QB (although you would think someone could play the part for a few games).  I have no idea what the rest of their freshman numbers look like at the moment.

50 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I could really be off here but since the JV QB went down in the varsity game (with what seems to be a really bad injury, prayers for that young man), the freshman QB had to play JV.  My guess is there is nobody left to play freshman QB (although you would think someone could play the part for a few games).  I have no idea what the rest of their freshman numbers look like at the moment.

I guess I will just say, yes, it is this reason you state.  Our frosh QB had to move up to JV and they didn't feel as if there was an option to go to.  There is an option (or 2), but whatever...

While I can't speak for Apollo, I think I can say that neither GS or Mater Dei would care if we played our current freshman QB 8 quarters.....both of those schools would rather play than not.  Am I wrong?

Playing with a freshman back up on the freshman team and losing beats not playing at all.  In the JV game Monday against you guys, we had to play a freshman fullback (2.5 quarters due to FB injury) and a freshman QB....who cares????   Outside of Friday night wins/losses don't matter, it is all about feeding varsity.  Get these kids as many reps as you can get them.

2 of the last 3 games the freshman had (GS and MD) would have been great for competition and learning...

11 hours ago, Titan76 said:

Curious to know how many total  Freshmen HH has. I was surprised to hear they canceled the remainder of their season, including their game with GS Freshmen.  

We have 21 freshman, but really only 19.  1 plays only varsity (we all know who that is) and the other is a kicker that always has a conflict with soccer on Thursday and only plays JV.  So 19 is the real number on the freshman team.

The last 10 years GS is 10 wins and 5 losses against HH,the ten years before that, GS is 1 win 10 losses!

That is a amazing turn around,HH, in my opinion,has always been tough and to do this is something else.Both schools  have had good runs,GS  beat a great Lawrenceburg team last year and HH  did a couple years before that. ( Good football in the Pocket)