Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

ACAC Week #6

The top 3 teams in the standings are pretty well-established - 

1. AC
  2. Heritage
  3. SA

I would actually argue that SA may be better than Heritage, but it can't really be justified in the overall standings in the conference. I do think SA would win if they played Heritage again. That being said, here goes the 2nd half of the season...

AC @ SA - This will be a close game in the first half. Grant Moser usually gets his guys up for these games. Even in regional last year, the Stars only had a 14-0 deficit at half and nearly scored right before half. I think AC's physicality will wear down SA in the 2nd half. Opponents will actually need to account for the passing game against AC this year, which makes their offense difficult to stop assuming the Jets are willing to pass against a 9-man box. AC by 28

Bluffton @ Southern Wells - Bluffton by 40+

Heritage @ Lapel - I see Heritage bouncing back against an average Lapel team, but don't count out the Bulldogs. Two of their losses have come from Indy Lutheran and North Decatur, possibly the top 2 teams in 1A South. Heritage by 7

Woodlan @ Jay County - Does anyone on GID know what's going on with Woodlan's Head Coach? He has been suspended by administration the last two games. Either way, I think Jay County wins by 2.

AC vs SA is going to feature strength vs weakness. AC has been good defensively overall, but the secondary has had moments of giving up plays. The guys back there for the most part are getting their first varsity action as Juniors. South Adams has a great passing offense. The question will be if AC's D line & LBs disrupt the SA QB. Now flip side, AC has ran over teams and at times SA has had trouble stopping the run or making tackles like they did last wee vs Jones of MC. AC has also added a passing game. SA secondary has been solid for the most part. I think this one may be closer than most think, but I do believe AC will prevail in the 2nd half.

I'm sure the media will hype up the SA vs AC game all week, only for it to be a blowout. I am a little worried about the secondary but think they will get the job done. 28 points sounds fair. Hoping for a competitive game as AC will not have much competition until playoff time after this game and needs to be tested.

Thought the AC vs SA game played out as expected. Thought SA played pretty well especially on offense when passing. Feel the AC lines were just more physical which was the difference. For AC, they have to fix the coverage breakdowns in the secondary as well as kickoff coverage. 

9 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Serious question - What would need to happen to remove Southern Wells from the conference? 

That would be pretty dumb when you only have 7 schools in the conference with them. Honestly the best scenario would be for Southern Wells and Jay County to change up their districts a bit. Send more Pennville & Northwestern Jay County kids to Southern Wells. Jay County would benefit with lower enrollment as they'd compete in 3A more than 4A. Southern Wells would have more students and hopefully find some more athletes. Southern Wells ended my career on their way to semi state and we had tough battles the other 3 years that we (AC) held on. To me, that's like asking Woodlan to drop out right now or Heritage about 3 or so years ago. AC will have some drop off after this Freshmen class. The MS & youth need some work bc they lost a year or so to Covid.

13 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Serious question - What would need to happen to remove Southern Wells from the conference? 

The same thing it would take to remove AC from the conference.

4 hours ago, Basementbias said:

That would be pretty dumb when you only have 7 schools in the conference with them. Honestly the best scenario would be for Southern Wells and Jay County to change up their districts a bit. Send more Pennville & Northwestern Jay County kids to Southern Wells. Jay County would benefit with lower enrollment as they'd compete in 3A more than 4A. Southern Wells would have more students and hopefully find some more athletes. Southern Wells ended my career on their way to semi state and we had tough battles the other 3 years that we (AC) held on. To me, that's like asking Woodlan to drop out right now or Heritage about 3 or so years ago. AC will have some drop off after this Freshmen class. The MS & youth need some work bc they lost a year or so to Covid.

No need to change the districts with open enrollment.  SW already gets a few students from Pennville and the NW corner of Jay County.  They also get some from Warren.  They get a bunch from Montpelier, especially now that Montpelier Elementary has closed.  Many families in Montpelier have chosen to send to SW instead of staying in district and going to Blackford.  The enrollment at SW from within their district has declined as you would expect with some families moving to cities to be closer to jobs.  The only way the school has maintained their enrollment is by accepting from outside the district.  Montpelier, Warren, and Pennville are not towns with a substantial number of strong athletes, so SW athletic programs aren’t really benefiting.  They are just helping with funding enough to keep the school going.

5 hours ago, Basementbias said:

I bet if you talked to most ACAC coaches - football as well as other sports - they’d be fine with getting rid of Southern Wells. I could be wrong, but I doubt I am.

17 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

I bet if you talked to most ACAC coaches - football as well as other sports - they’d be fine with getting rid of Southern Wells. I could be wrong, but I doubt I am.

Conferences tend to get rid of dominant teams a lot more than weaker teams just ask Carroll and Homestead.