Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blocked Field Goal Live?

AW0352

Question

23 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

I feel like I know the answer but I’m going to ask.  
On a field goal try that is blocked can the defense pick it up and run it back? Not an extra point but a field goal. 

As long as the ball does not break the plane of the goal line, it can be advanced by the defense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

I feel like I know the answer but I’m going to ask.  
On a field goal try that is blocked can the defense pick it up and run it back? Not an extra point but a field goal. 

Punts and FG's are both scrimmage kicks. Several years ago at a coaches' clinic in Indy, this staff from a small school in Wisconsin did not have anyone who could punt well, so they chose to line up in PAT formation and kick away. It looked funny on film to see a team backed up at their own 20 or so lining up to kick a FG. lol 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Irishman said:

As long as the ball does not break the plane of the goal line, it can be advanced by the defense. 

17 hours ago, Irishman said:

Punts and FG's are both scrimmage kicks. Several years ago at a coaches' clinic in Indy, this staff from a small school in Wisconsin did not have anyone who could punt well, so they chose to line up in PAT formation and kick away. It looked funny on film to see a team backed up at their own 20 or so lining up to kick a FG. lol 

I remember reading about this.

If it lands on the 3 yard line and nobody touches it what happens?

If treated the same as a punt would it be declared dead and spotted on the 3? If it goes out of bounds at the 5 is that where the ball is spotted? 

Aside from the higher possibility of a kick being blocked if the snap is at normal 7 yards (although that distance can be extended if desired) and the lower trajectory as well as being a little harder to cover what other disadvantages are there?

Seems like the place kick could be more accurately kicked if you have a good kicker. Could be a good weapon if used correctly. 

1 hour ago, cloudofdust said:

If treated the same as a punt would it be declared dead and spotted on the 3? If it goes out of bounds at the 5 is that where the ball is spotted? 

Aside from the higher possibility of a kick being blocked if the snap is at normal 7 yards (although that distance can be extended if desired) and the lower trajectory as well as being a little harder to cover what other disadvantages are there?

Seems like the place kick could be more accurately kicked if you have a good kicker. Could be a good weapon if used correctly. 

If no one touches it, it  is a dead ball at the 3. 
If it goes out of bounds at the 5, that is where it is spotted. 

26 minutes ago, Irishman said:

If the clock is winding down, there are advantages to not touching it, but they better be in place to cover in case someone picks it up to run. 

Yeah, why I edited my comment away. I was thinking 3 yard line...........touchdown............then I thought, wait,  no one is going to be kicking a 97 yard field goal, lol, so I deleted what I wrote but not before you quoted me.

18 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Yeah, why I edited my comment away. I was thinking 3 yard line...........touchdown............then I thought, wait,  no one is going to be kicking a 97 yard field goal, lol, so I deleted what I wrote but not before you quoted me.

It’s not considered an awarded fair catch. R is merely awarded the ball. 

Reason I ask…

JV game had a blocked FG.  Defense picked it up and ran it 75 yards back for a TD.  One of the officials blew the whistle when it was recovered.   Time was at 0:00 in the half.   They declared an inadvertent whistle.   The team that blocked the FG got the ball for one untimed down.   They threw a pick 6.  

2 hours ago, AW0352 said:

Reason I ask…

JV game had a blocked FG.  Defense picked it up and ran it 75 yards back for a TD.  One of the officials blew the whistle when it was recovered.   Time was at 0:00 in the half.   They declared an inadvertent whistle.   The team that blocked the FG got the ball for one untimed down.   They threw a pick 6.  

Double ouch.

7 hours ago, AW0352 said:

Reason I ask…

Somebody’s buying a round of double shots!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AW0352 said:

Reason I ask…

The confusion arises because (1) field goal attempts are not all that common … especially in JV games, and (2) under the NF code, a kick try fails and the play is dead when the kick is blocked. That’s why varsity crews remind one another before a field goal attempt that “the ball remains alive.” Not an excuse, just an explanation.

• Like 4

On 9/20/2022 at 2:02 PM, cloudofdust said:

The coaches I've talked to have said this is a big risk for long field goals. Plus you have a snap to someone mostly immobile on the ground so harder to respond to a poor snap. Plus you add in the complexity of getting the ball placed properly. The risks outweigh the potential benefits in many cases. But it's an entirely possible option that could have positive outcomes if the FG is not successful.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JustRules said:

The coaches I've talked to have said this is a big risk for long field goals. Plus you have a snap to someone mostly immobile on the ground so harder to respond to a poor snap. Plus you add in the complexity of getting the ball placed properly. The risks outweigh the potential benefits in many cases. But it's an entirely possible option that could have positive outcomes if the FG is not successful.

We tend to take PAT/FG’s for granted. A lot of stuff has to happen correctly in a very short period of time. There’s just a lot of moving parts. Then add in the fact the kicker is trying to get a little extra leg into it. 

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

We tend to take PAT/FG’s for granted. A lot of stuff has to happen correctly in a very short period of time. There’s just a lot of moving parts. Then add in the fact the kicker is trying to get a little extra leg into it. 

As a Referee, field goal attempts were the scariest things for me, for all those reasons. Plus, I knew if there was a block, I was responsible for the kicker’s goal line. Only thing scarier was an interception runback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

As a Referee, field goal attempts were the scariest things for me, for all those reasons. Plus, I knew if there was a block, I was responsible for the kicker’s goal line. Only thing scarier was an interception runback.

Int’s I start heading that way immediately. Blocked FG……are inadvertent whistles really that bad? 😅

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Good thing you weren't an umpire. You have that every play and twice on punts or any COP. You have to be tough and resilient in the hole.