Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL 2022 Season

Irishman

Ray Guy dies at 72: Raiders legend, first punter inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame, passes away: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ray-guy-dies-at-72-raiders-legend-first-punter-inducted-into-pro-football-hall-of-fame-passes-away/

Ray Guy, widely regarded as the greatest punter in NFL history, passed away Thursday morning following a lengthy illness, his alma mater, Southern Miss, announced. He was 72 years old. 

A member of both the College and Pro Football Hall of Fame, Guy became the first punter inducted into Canton, Ohio, when he was enshrined in 2014. 

"Fittingly, much was written when Ray Guy was enshrined in Canton about how his election as the first true punter created a "full roster" of players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Too often overlooked, however, was the man behind his powerful right leg," Hall of Fame president Jim Porter said in a statement. "Ray was a warm, humble Southern gentleman who represented the game, the Raiders organization and the Hall of Fame with dignity and class at all times. 

"A truly gifted athlete, he could have been a star in Major League Baseball or pro basketball. Fans of the NFL thank Ray for choosing to focus on football."

A sad day.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Haha. I love watching Burrow throw the ball. His accuracy is insane. Looks like the NFL is proving that 2018 LSU passing offense was indeed freakishly good with Burrow, Jefferson, and Chase. 

He has the quickest release of any QB I’ve seen, other than The GOAT. I guess that’s what comes from leading the league in getting sacked for a couple of seasons.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/03/sports/football/nfl-damar-hamlin-bills-injury.html

Whatever the truth, football fans — and even former star players — are once again asking whether the game they enjoy is worth the risk. Ryan Clark, a former hard-hitting defensive back who is now an analyst on ESPN, said many players fool themselves into thinking they are modern-day gladiators when in fact they are highly paid entertainers smashing their bodies for a living.

“We use these cliches. ‘Going to war,’ ‘willing to die,’ ‘give it all,’” Clark wrote on Twitter on Monday night. “That’s all talk. It’s a game. A game! You never suit up & think you’re not going to make it home.”

Coaches, too, appeared to be grappling with the dilemmas raised by football and an event that has thrown the league’s hard-and-fast rhythms off kilter. Coaches at several teams canceled their scheduled conference calls with reporters, though many continued their preparation for this weekend’s games.

Hamlin’s collapse was far from the only reminder of football’s “next man up” culture in a league where the lack of guaranteed contracts incentivizes players to return to action as soon as possible. Indeed, Hamlin had joined the Bills’ starting lineup in September as a replacement for safety Micah Hyde, who has been out with a neck injury.

On Sunday, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Nick Foles left a game after being sacked by Giants linebacker Kayvon Thibodeaux, who celebrated the hit as Foles appeared to convulse on the field. Foles was carted off, but was listed with a rib injury.

Also on Sunday, Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Josh Sweat left the field on a cart after trying to make a headfirst tackle on New Orleans Saints fullback Adam Prentice. Sweat stayed on the ground facedown for several minutes and raised his arm to the crowd as he left the field. He later vowed on Twitter to return this season.

In September, Bills cornerback Dane Jackson injured his neck and was immobilized and transported in an ambulance to a hospital in Buffalo. He was released from the hospital the next day and returned to play in October.

Injuries and even deaths are not uncommon in football. Every year, a handful of high school football players die, some from heat stroke, some from broken necks. Families and communities are shattered. Yet while participation in high school football has slipped in recent years, it remains the most popular sport among boys.

The N.F.L. is another realm because it has turned the game into mass entertainment, complete with cheerleaders, packed stadiums and big-name sponsors hawking their products. Yet the N.F.L. knows the game’s violence has turned off fans, and has watched families steer their sons into baseball, basketball and soccer.

So the league takes pains to remind fans that it is using its vast resources to “make the game safer” and “take the head out of the game.” In 2019, the league even produced a video on how to recognize and rescue players who suffer sudden cardiac arrest.

But tackle football centers on bigger, stronger and faster players crashing into one another on every down, and no amount of dollars, training and good intentions will change that. The best the N.F.L. can do is reduce risk, not eliminate it.

It looks like Damar Hamlin is progressing quite well.  He's off the ventilator and talking to his family and teammates.  The on field support was more than adequate, as has been his support in the intensive care unit of the UC Hospital!  Hats off to all who participated to this point.

• Like 2

Interesting comments from Sean Peyton when asked about coaching next season. Asked for the latest, Denver is the only team to seek permission to talk to him. He added that the roster he has right now on Fox is better than any roster out there, and that his current position is better than any position that is currently available. So, he is not coming to Indy. When Jimmy Johnson asked what he was looking for, solid QB? Roster? Chance to win? he said no; for him it is more about the front office and ownership. He was asked 1-10, what are your chances of you returning to this set (Fox). His answer....7. 

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Well, if I was Jimmy, Ballard would have been gone, along with Frank, after the season ending loss to Jacksonville last season.  IMO, a top level coach isn't going to consider the Colts as long as Ballard is the GM.

I agree....

My fear goes beyond the GM....and I am purely speculating.  The Colts were a top tier team during the Polian era.  He left after unsuccessfully pushing one of his son's for the GM job.

Irsay since has hired 2 rookie GM's.  (Grigson and Ballard)  My fear is that we have an owner that likes to be heavily involved.  And if so, that can also be a deterrent for both a top coach or GM.

I may be way off base...but that is my fear.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

I agree....

My fear goes beyond the GM....and I am purely speculating.  The Colts were a top tier team during the Polian era.  He left after unsuccessfully pushing one of his son's for the GM job.

Irsay since has hired 2 rookie GM's.  (Grigson and Ballard)  My fear is that we have an owner that likes to be heavily involved.  And if so, that can also be a deterrent for both a top coach or GM.

I may be way off base...but that is my fear.

Keep in mind too the coaching fraternity is a tight knit group. Irsay has shown he is a big part of the problem with the team. Coaches see that. While Reich was not successful, he is still well respected in coaching circles. He will never say anything publicly, but coaches know. Sure, someone will be eager enough to take the job, but it will likely be someone with little to no experience as a head coach. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Nice comeback win for the Jags!  They win 31-30 on a last second FG.  They trailed the entire game.

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

If I were the Chargers’ coach, I wouldn’t send my laundry out.

To amplify, not only did he play their #1 WR, Mike Williams, deep into a meaningless game last week - with the result that he was injured and out for this game - but he also was ahead 27-7 at halftime yesterday, and they threw 22 passes on 29 snaps in the 2nd half. They lost on the last play of the game, which never would have happened if they’d run some clock in the 2nd half. I heard someone describe it as “coaching malpractice.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

To amplify, not only did he play their #1 WR, Mike Williams, deep into a meaningless game last week - with the result that he was injured and out for this game - but he also was ahead 27-7 at halftime yesterday, and they threw 22 passes on 29 snaps in the 2nd half. They lost on the last play of the game, which never would have happened if they’d run some clock in the 2nd half. I heard someone describe it as “coaching malpractice.”

Good points!

On 1/15/2023 at 11:01 AM, Bobref said:

Seems like the Chargers would be a great landing spot for Sean Payton. 

On 1/15/2023 at 10:01 AM, Bobref said:

Absolutely no way they can bring him back after all that. Getting your best WR's back broken in a meaningless game is bad enough but that collapse was the nail in the coffin