Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL 2022 Season

Irishman

• 2 weeks later...

Great game, for a change, and a terrible playing field.  It was sad to see the players slipping and sliding so much.

A very questionable call on the holding as a lot of other things were let go during the game that probably would have been called in the regular season or earlier in the playoffs.

Steichen looks like the right hire for the Colts also.  Maybe Jeff Saturday will accept a position coaching job or a front office job with the Colts?

Everyone is going to focus on the call at the end of the game, which is fine (though it was the correct call), but I have a different bone entirely to pick.  @Bobref and our other fine official friends, is the so called "Double Cheek" QB sneak play not illegal in that it appears that the entire Philly offensive line is well into the neutral zone?  I admittedly like the concept, and if pushing the QB forward is now perfectly legal am all for it, but the alignment of the interior OL makes my head explode.

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

The guy who was called for the foul doesn’t think so. He fessed up.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/eagles-cb-james-bradberry-on-controversial-penalty-i-tugged-his-jersey

Yea, he fessed up...it was holding....but as minor as it gets.  Smith-Schuster was not impaired in running his route and showed no emotion like he did earlier in the game when he was held (at least in mind) with no call.

Guarantee if we go back and look at tape, we will see much more egregious levels of holding that was not called.  Sometimes its not a matter of being right...its a matter of consistency.  The official that threw the flag for something very minor and not called consistently during the game , basically ended the contest and took away a chance to see a magnificent ending.  But yes, technically his call was correct.

One former NFL DB indicated his failure was to wear a black glove.  Had his glove been white up against a white jersey, he predicted a non-call.  The color contrast did him no favors.  Thought that was interesting.

13 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Yea, he fessed up...it was holding....but as minor as it gets.  Smith-Schuster was not impaired in running his route and showed no emotion like he did earlier in the game when he was held (at least in mind) with no call.

Guarantee if we go back and look at tape, we will see much more egregious levels of holding that was not called.  Sometimes its not a matter of being right...its a matter of consistency.  The official that threw the flag for something very minor and not called consistently during the game , basically ended the contest and took away a chance to see a magnificent ending.  But yes, technically his call was correct.

One former NFL DB indicated his failure was to wear a black glove.  Had his glove been white up against a white jersey, he predicted a non-call.  The color contrast did him no favors.  Thought that was interesting.

It was a foul. Everything else is speculation, subjective opinion, and, ultimately, irrelevant.

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It was a foul. Everything else is speculation, subjective opinion, and, ultimately, irrelevant.

No disagreement....so call it consistently.  Don't allow muggings earlier in the game with no calls and then flag a ticky tack at the end of the game impacting it.  Not a hard concept to understand.  That is not speculation or irrelevant.

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

The guy who was called for the foul doesn’t think so. He fessed up.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/eagles-cb-james-bradberry-on-controversial-penalty-i-tugged-his-jersey

But Bob, it's the Super Bowl and no one is going to rock the boat and criticize anything that happened.  You didn't hear anything about the terrible "grass" field either, but you know the players didn't like it much.  There were a lot of penalty calls not made last night, but that one was and it was borderline at best, no matter what time of the game it occurred.  I can't remember that many motion calls not made in a game before, and I've seen a lot of games in my years.

• Like 1