Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Schools/Programs

Was just thinking about how some schools are projected to move up to higher enrollment classes and it got me thinking a little bit. 

a lot of states have 400/500/600+ schools with football programs.  Indiana is sitting at around 325-350…somewhere in there.  

we have schools pushing 5000 kids if not more

Are there any new high schools being built/proposed? At some point there will have to be new schools made to be able to take in the ever increasing population

2 minutes ago, footballfan2012 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Whitestown High School again at some point!

I have a friend who I often visit in that area and every time I visit I swear it has grown by a few hundred houses.  I don’t live in the area but it definitely seems like the suburbs are exploding…and we are getting to the point where some 6A schools could lose 1000 kids for a new 4A school and they would still be 6A by a mile of enrollment 

• Like 1

I think there's a new charter school getting ready to launch in the Lafayette area.  The last one didn't last though and it didn't have anything akin to a sports program.

22 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Was just thinking about how some schools are projected to move up to higher enrollment classes and it got me thinking a little bit. 

a lot of states have 400/500/600+ schools with football programs.  Indiana is sitting at around 325-350…somewhere in there.  

we have schools pushing 5000 kids if not more

Are there any new high schools being built/proposed? At some point there will have to be new schools made to be able to take in the ever increasing population

It's highly unlikely - the modus operandi in the suburbs seems to be to grow schools to huge sizes (a la Carmel) rather than split (like HSE, Southport & Perry Meridian did). Meanwhile, the cities are losing population and seeing schools close (Elkhart, Muncie, Michigan City, Anderson, et al, have all consolidated back into one school in the last 30ish years). I doubt we'll see many school splits. Possibly a few new private schools here and there. 

Whitestown was mentioned in the thread - that community is mostly in the Lebanon school district. I highly doubt Lebanon splits into two, especially given they're already significantly smaller than Zionsville even with the rapid growth of Whitestown. 

8 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

It's highly unlikely - the modus operandi in the suburbs seems to be to grow schools to huge sizes (a la Carmel) rather than split (like HSE, Southport & Perry Meridian did). Meanwhile, the cities are losing population and seeing schools close (Elkhart, Muncie, Michigan City, Anderson, et al, have all consolidated back into one school in the last 30ish years). I doubt we'll see many school splits. Possibly a few new private schools here and there. 

Whitestown was mentioned in the thread - that community is mostly in the Lebanon school district. I highly doubt Lebanon splits into two, especially given they're already significantly smaller than Zionsville even with the rapid growth of Whitestown. 

Yeah and some of these things are definitely affected by politics. 

i wasn’t specifically thinking about Carmel and they are probably the best public school to send your kid to….but at the same time they could lose 1000 kids make a new 4A school….and still have either the #1 or #2 for enrollment.

google says they have somewhere between 5200 and 5400 kids, with Ben Davis 2nd with about 4400 kids 

off of those 2 specific school….I just kinda think it would be cool to see some new schools/mascots/teams for sports and I know there are a lot of areas in Indiana where people are talking about the rapid expansion of suburbs and more/less new life to areas….yet almost no talk of any new schools

30 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I think there's a new charter school getting ready to launch in the Lafayette area.  The last one didn't last though and it didn't have anything akin to a sports program.

I’m a little confused on this…I guess my confusion is basically “what’s wrong with LCC?”  

30 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

off of those 2 specific school….I just kinda think it would be cool to see some new schools/mascots/teams for sports and I know there are a lot of areas in Indiana where people are talking about the rapid expansion of suburbs and more/less new life to areas….yet almost no talk of any new schools

Because school physical infrastructure is expensive, and most taxpayers are loath to foot the bill.

2 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m a little confused on this…I guess my confusion is basically “what’s wrong with LCC?”  

Nothing, but realize that most people that go to LCC are Catholic.  There are a few non-Catholics, but for the most part, the kids come from Catholic families.  There's another private school with a high school in the Lafayette area, Faith Christian.  It recently joined the IHSAA, but has been around for a while.  The vast majority of kids that attend it are non-Catholic.  In both schools, there are a very small number that see those two schools as private options as opposed to seeing them as religious schools. 

Charter schools provide an alternative to traditional public school education and religious education ... in a sense, secular private education alternative.  There are folks that want a private school environment, but without the religious component.  I suspect that there may also be some private religious school students who want a private school education without the influence of a different religion.  For example, there's St. James Lutheran in this area, but it only has K-8.  There is no Lutheran high school.  Just like there are Baptists that want a private education, but don't want a Catholic flavor ... and Catholics that want a private education, but may not want a Baptist flavor ... I could imagine that there could be some Lutherans that don't want that Baptist or Catholic flavor to their education.  I will say though that I know of a couple of families that attended St. James that now attend LCC.  And, again, there are some folks that just want a secular, private education.

The last charter school that was in Lafayette was New Community and closed down in 2016.  Indy-based, Paramount School of Excellence, is expected to move into the same location that was left when New Community closed.  New Community was only K-8 and it's my understanding that the Paramount School of Excellence will also start out K-8, but I'm not sure if they plans to operate beyond that.

39 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Because school physical infrastructure is expensive, and most taxpayers are loath to foot the bill.

Ironically it’s probably the same people who love to use the voucher program to their benefit. 

why foot the bill for a tax increase for a better school when you have open enrollment and vouchers and can just opt in to a better school.

the freedom of choice in education can be a wonderful thing but I’m sure there have been a number of schools who have suffered because of it 

28 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

How is their football team doing?

They don't do football. 

They do soccer, volleyball, baseball, softball, basketball. According to MaxPreps, last season varsity baseball team went 3-16-1.  Boys basketball went 11-11.  Boys soccer went 12-3-1.  Girls basketball went 9-14.  Girls soccer went 10-4-3.  Softball went 11-9. Volleyball went 21-8.

2 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

I've heard "talks" for a few years about a potential third Fishers high school but nothing substantiated.

I reckon we're still a ways out but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lawrence go to a 1 township high school here in the distant future. Consolidate LN and LC at around 3500-4000 students. Sooner or later Mount Vernon is going to get a fair amount of those kids as Hancock county continues to grow. 

Agree on Whitestown. Zionsville will take as many kids until they can't anymore and then it will likely force Lebanon to build a bigger high school. 

Edited by Footballking16

15 minutes ago, foxbat said:

They don't do football. 

They do soccer, volleyball, baseball, softball, basketball. According to MaxPreps, last season varsity baseball team went 3-16-1.  Boys basketball went 11-11.  Boys soccer went 12-3-1.  Girls basketball went 9-14.  Girls soccer went 10-4-3.  Softball went 11-9. Volleyball went 21-8.

Then they don't belong in this discussion.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

5 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Why?

Is it a foregone conclusion that Faith Christian will never field a football team? I would say the biggest precursor to starting a football program is a growing enrollment. It took Covenant Christian almost 20 years to field their first varsity team. And it coincided with an enrollment spike. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Why? Is it a foregone conclusion that Faith Christian will never field a football team? I would say the biggest precursor to starting a football program is a growing enrollment. It took Covenant Christian almost 20 years to field their first varsity team. And it coincided with an enrollment spike. 

Because this is a football forum. We talk high school football here.

If they're nearly the same size as LCC, there is no reason they can't field a football team.

There are smaller schools than LCC with football teams. 

• Disdain 1

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

Because this is a football forum. We talk high school football here.

If they're nearly the same size as LCC, there is no reason they can't field a football team.

There are smaller schools than LCC with football teams. 

Lol.

The literal idea of this thread is about potential new schools and/or new programs. Why wouldn't a school with a rapidly growing enrollment have the potential to start a football program??

Eat a Snickers man, geez.

• Haha 2
  • Sit and spin 1

28 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

They were mentioned in response to another person as to "what was wrong with LCC?"  I merely expanded that idea that there are new private schools or other private schools in the area are not necessarily tied to there being something wrong with LCC. 

I don't necessarily think that Faith will never have football; especially if their school continues to grow.  For a long time, they had sports, but weren't an IHSAA member ... although they played many of the IHSAA schools from the area.  They eventually joined the IHSAA and are now part of the post-season "festivities."  Incidentally, Faith has had folks who have played football in youth programs of other local schools that left Faith to continue playing football when they hit high school ... the vast majority with local public schools.

Edit: Faith might decide, if they get larger, that football helps preserve some of their enrollment without a negative impact.  When they first started out, they were small where fielding football would have been a huge undertaking.  As they get closer to 300, the cost of football, as well as potnetial risk against resources, goes down; especially if it helps retain some students.

Edited by foxbat

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

How does a new school or new program have an existing team? Unless the word new has been redefined in the last 20 or so minutes?

Elkhart, Fishers, Hamilton Heights, Maconaquah, Tri-West, Western Boone, to name a few. There are A LOT more.