Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How bad are things in South Bend?

9 hours ago, psaboy said:

I always wondered why the Eddies don't play (or vice versa) any of the area high schools in the greater SB/Mish/Elkhart tri-plex area. 

Football-wise they couldn't before this season. Their conference was 10 teams, so no OOC games. It wasn't a particularly good conference, a couple of the schools who've had good programs in the past (Dowagiac, Allegan, Comstock), have experienced rapidly shrinking districts. Edwardsburg definitely felt like that impacted their postseason success. The conference has now contracted to 8, EHS added two OOC games this season. Both against very solid traditional Michigan powers, which should help them in the post season.

I'm not sure who they'd want to play, if they were to schedule anyone fr/ St Joe / Elkhart counties. Edwardsburg's enrollment is between 850-900. Doubt they'd see much upside in tangling with  a 5 or 6A opponent. Maybe a Northwood, Northridge, St Joe or Marian? Guessing they'd rather add someone closer, like a Lakeshore or St Joseph (MI).

4 hours ago, MichGuy said:

Football-wise they couldn't before this season. Their conference was 10 teams, so no OOC games. It wasn't a particularly good conference, a couple of the schools who've had good programs in the past (Dowagiac, Allegan, Comstock), have experienced rapidly shrinking districts. Edwardsburg definitely felt like that impacted their postseason success. The conference has now contracted to 8, EHS added two OOC games this season. Both against very solid traditional Michigan powers, which should help them in the post season.

I'm not sure who they'd want to play, if they were to schedule anyone fr/ St Joe / Elkhart counties. Edwardsburg's enrollment is between 850-900. Doubt they'd see much upside in tangling with  a 5 or 6A opponent. Maybe a Northwood, Northridge, St Joe or Marian? Guessing they'd rather add someone closer, like a Lakeshore or St Joseph (MI).

From what I've seen on TV 46, Hudl Highlights, and the Michigan state championship games the last decade or so, the typical Edwardsburg team would be a handful for any 4 or 5a opponent in Northern IN.    I don't think they want to schedule Penn, but they would have the same punchers chance that Mishawaka always seems to have.  

I think you have to think of Edwardsburg almost like a parochial school.  Your going to have high numbers of 2 parent households (discipline, structure, nutrition are all there), athletics matter at home, and they've been good for a long time now (they catch some move-ins that at least have athletics in mind).  

11 hours ago, Say it aint so said:

Eddie’s has one of the best youth programs around. Draw kids from Bristol,Granger, Mishawaka and Elkhart. Their little league travel team is top notch ! Genius , get kids to play at a young age and bring em in.

Can and do residents of Indiana go to public schools in Michigan?

15 hours ago, psaboy said:

Can and do residents of Indiana go to public schools in Michigan?

Honestly? Depends on how creative they get 🙂

I have a friend who lives in Granger. About three years ago, we were training together to run a 10K. We'd jog through a series of connected subdivisions. One early Saturday morning, In a space of a mile, I saw three HS kids walk out of their house & drive off in their cars. One was in an Edwardsburg baseball uniform, the other two in softball uniforms. When I asked him what that was all about, he just smiled & said "apartments."

To be 100% fair, that was a few years ago & just one observation, albeit a personal one. I also have ZERO clue what their family situation was. Did find it interesting, though. 

On 9/23/2022 at 8:19 AM, MichGuy said:

New Prairie?

21 hours ago, MichGuy said:

Honestly? Depends on how creative they get 🙂

I have a friend who lives in Granger. About three years ago, we were training together to run a 10K. We'd jog through a series of connected subdivisions. One early Saturday morning, In a space of a mile, I saw three HS kids walk out of their house & drive off in their cars. One was in an Edwardsburg baseball uniform, the other two in softball uniforms. When I asked him what that was all about, he just smiled & said "apartments."

To be 100% fair, that was a few years ago & just one observation, albeit a personal one. I also have ZERO clue what their family situation was. Did find it interesting, though. 

Yea, I'm sure it happens one way or another. I could see case of divorced family one parent in IN and one in MI.

I would like to hear more from people in the know about SB schools.  I heard Milt Lee talk to the school board and it seemed like he talk the talk is he walking the walk.

Both Washington and Clay enrollment is in the hundreds.  Comments of Clay closing as a traditional high schools has hurt.  In all honesty I think SB need 2 traditional high school and one magnet high school.

According to comments from the school board, there will be no schools consolidated.  

With that in mind the current populations of all the school is about:  Adams 2000, Riley 1000, Washington and Clay 800 each.

Many students don't attend their school for the magnet, only for their district.  Also, because of Plan Z (federal order) the school boundaries are gerrymandered.

There hasn't been a big name hire in South Bend for a long time.  They also have trouble finding quality coaches in the middle schools.  There is no Pop Warner in South Bend.  There is Rocket Football, but that is more for Penn than South Bend.

South Bend had more success when their middle school football was in the spring.  The high school coaches could work with the kids and there was better transition to high school football.  To me, that would be a tremendous first step.

37 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

According to comments from the school board, there will be no schools consolidated.  

With that in mind the current populations of all the school is about:  Adams 2000, Riley 1000, Washington and Clay 800 each.

Many students don't attend their school for the magnet, only for their district.  Also, because of Plan Z (federal order) the school boundaries are gerrymandered.

There hasn't been a big name hire in South Bend for a long time.  They also have trouble finding quality coaches in the middle schools.  There is no Pop Warner in South Bend.  There is Rocket Football, but that is more for Penn than South Bend.

South Bend had more success when their middle school football was in the spring.  The high school coaches could work with the kids and there was better transition to high school football.  To me, that would be a tremendous first step.

Washington consolidates into Adams. Clay stays the Magnet school and Riley stays open?

When the announce the new enrollment numbers it will be interesting

I have had parents tell me the sent their children to Adams because they did not see Clay open in 4 years.

If numbers continue to drop they cannot continue to keep open all of their buildings but they are afraid if they close one it will become a charter school and more students will leave.

There are many issue in some of the middle schools (Jackson, Edison, Dickinson) with education and staffing. They keep hiring consultants and spending money but have no real clue what the big issue is.

13 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

There isn't pop warner in South Bend? Could of fooled me I just watched a 8U game go into double OT yesterday and a 9U team beat Hanover Central yesterday. It needs better organization but they do have several teams.

13 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The better solution would be to combine Washington and Clay and reopen LaSalle.  But no high school will be consolidated.  That was from the school board

I think SB need 2 traditional high school and one magnet high school.

Asjc said that and I was just being curious which high school would close, which one would become magnet and what two would stay open?

4 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

I think SB need 2 traditional high school and one magnet high school.

Asjc said that and I was just being curious which high school would close, which one would become magnet and what two would stay open?

If you read some of the previous posts, the South Bend School Board said no schools will be closed.

So it will remain 4 high schools in the foreseeable future

It sounds like Clay could remain a high school for the fine arts only of about 450 kids.  It would not be in the current high school building.

That is what the consultant wants to see happen which is why the Clay Twp people are not happy

The school board could be shaken up in November with the election and one current member did not seek reelection