SIAC Week 7

Massey

North (-2) at Vincennes, 54% chance of victory for the Huskies 

Central at Harrison (-3), 54% of victory for the Warriors

Bosse at Mater Dei (-34), 96% chance of victory for the Cats

Jasper at Castle (-7), 62% chance of victory for the Knights

Reitz at Memorial (-1), 51% chance of victory for the Tigers

14 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

His status will be important Friday night, but I’m pretty sure he will play anyways. The C&P article said he could’ve played against Castle, but it was coaches decision to have Vera to start. Reitz likely saw the size advantage against Castle judging by the rushing yards, since Castle’s starting D-Line is undersized and surprised they didn’t have any 2 way players on it

It took Reitz a bit to get going due to turnovers and realizing they didn't need to pass at all, but once they got going it turned very lopsided. Castle had to have known what was coming but they just didn't have an answer for Vera or Burnett. Two very skilled runners. I was still shocked with how many points and yards Reitz put up considering they did not use Summers or Thomas at all.  Additionally, the Reitz defense is very impressive with their QB/run pursuit and pass coverage. They fly around, get off blocks, and tackle well. Castle did not have much success on offense.

I will be interested to see what Memorial's plan of attack will be. But if there is any coaching staffs in the area that can find something that works, Memorial's is one of them. Reitz has to be hoping Davies is back for this one to open up their playbook again. But even with Davies potentially coming back, I could see there being some rust and them taking a few drives or a quarter to get going. But, they're going to score. Castle's defense is no slouch; Reitz had 10 points at half, 17 into the 4th, and then they still put up 41. Even if they struggle at times, they're going to have stretches where they put up points. The big question will be can Memorial score enough to stay in it and what will they have success with. Definitely will be watching this one.

Edited by Football Fanatic

9 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

It took Reitz a bit to get going due to turnovers and realizing they didn't need to pass at all, but once they got going it turned very lopsided. Castle had to have known what was coming but they just didn't have an answer for Vera or Burnett. Two very skilled runners. I was still shocked with how many points and yards Reitz put up considering they did not use Summers or Thomas at all.  Additionally, the Reitz defense is very impressive with their QB/run pursuit and pass coverage. They fly around, get off blocks, and tackle well. Castle did not have much success on offense.

I will be interested to see what Memorial's plan of attack will be. But if there is any coaching staffs in the area that can find something that works, Memorial's is one of them. Reitz has to be hoping Davies is back for this one to open up their playbook again. But even with Davies potentially coming back, I could see there being some rust and them taking a few drives or a quarter to get going. But, they're going to score. Castle's defense is no slouch; Reitz had 10 points at half, 17 into the 4th, and then they still put up 41. Even if they struggle at times, they're going to have stretches where they put up points. The big question will be can Memorial score enough to stay in it and what will they have success with. Definitely will be watching this one.

I rewatched the Castle/Reitz game in the 2H and it looked like Reitz’s size advantage on the OL wore Castle’s DL down in the 4th, since that is when Reitz started to figure out running the ball might be the best option. Since Castle’s passing defense was locked down the entire night. There was some of videos of the Burnett TD and oh my he is super fast on the ground. Castle’s LB core and backfield couldn’t get to him on time. Also, I liked how Reitz utilized Vera’s speed too in the 2H, since the OL blocked very well for him to find holes or go to the outside.

With, or without Davies, Memorial is going to have their hands full the entire night anyways. Like you said, the passing attack will open if he plays, however, with 2 very good players in Burnett and Vera, Memorial will have some problems with their speed. All 3 levels of Offense, Defense and Special Teams will be factors in this one. I think a lot of people are wishing these 2 will meet in the Sectional at some point. Should be a classic game on a cool evening!

57 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Massey

Massey drinking for breakfast?

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:17 PM, Screagle said:

That was a great game by Jasper.  I just don’t think Jasper will have much for Memorial if they meet again. Tigers would be 6-0 with 6 convincing Wins if healthy all season.  I get injury’s are part of it but rarely do teams start the season with 4 or 5 all SIAC kids out weeks 1 and 2.  

no doubt.  folks dont like to talk about it but its true

59 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

Really thinking about North. 1600 students, parents who are involved, feeder programs. They should run the SIAC. The comment someone made about 500 is so true. This make zero sense. 

This might be the first thing you and I agree on... LOL. But you are right. They have facilities out the wazoo, large enrollment, diverse socio-economics, etc. I will point out their boys beat us in soccer a few weeks ago, which is a fairly rare occurrence for any of the city schools. Their girls golf team has been incredible for the last decade, but kind of fell back to Earth this season. 

8 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Massey

Vincennes 

Harrison 

Bosse to cover 

Castle

Memorial 

2 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

Really thinking about North. 1600 students, parents who are involved, feeder programs. They should run the SIAC. The comment someone made about 500 is so true. This make zero sense. 

It’s puzzling. The basketball team has improved over the last few seasons and even won a couple of sectionals. Baseball team has always been top half of the league but hasn’t been able to win a sectional for awhile. 
Football team seems to start out on fire then fades away 2nd half. They have a very impressive roster. Size and athletes all over the field. 

week 6 predictions

North at Vincennes - This one should be close for a while but I think the Alices pull away and win by a few scores. North is trending towards another underachieving season it seems. 

Central at Harrison - This one is a decent matchup by records, but I actually think the Warriors win this one by three scores.

Bosse at Mater Dei - potential running clock for MD in this one. Bosse is currently going through a tough stretch of games.

Jasper at Castle - This one could definitely be close. Reitz just ran all over the stingy Castle defense, but can Jasper do the same? Not so sure. I think the Knights bounce back with a win.

GAME OF THE WEEK:
Reitz at Memorial - Another huge test for the Panthers and a chance to lock up the SIAC title. Memorial will be chomping at the bits to knock off the undefeated team. But I doubt either team will unleash everything considering they'll most likely have a much more important matchup again in the sectional. The big questions in this matchup revolve around Davies being back or not and Memorial scoring enough to stay in it. I predict Davies will play so it may take their offense some time to get going again. So, I think similar to their game against Castle, this game will be low-scoring and close at half. But I think the Panthers just have too much firepower on offense and pull away in the 2nd half again. I'll pick Reitz by a few scores to stay undefeated. 

Edited by Football Fanatic

14 hours ago, Screagle said:

It’s puzzling. The basketball team has improved over the last few seasons and even won a couple of sectionals. Baseball team has always been top half of the league but hasn’t been able to win a sectional for awhile. 
Football team seems to start out on fire then fades away 2nd half. They have a very impressive roster. Size and athletes all over the field. 

Seems like we've been hearing about North turning the corner for 5-7 years now and it hasn't happened.  They were clearly bigger than MD in the trenches on Friday night and weren't able to get much going at all on offense.  their passing game was not impressive and their rushing attack didn't generate much at all.  Their only score occurred as time expired at the end of the game with their starters still in vs MD's back ups.  I wonder how long of a leash this coach will have to turn them into a consistent winner

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Seems like we've been hearing about North turning the corner for 5-7 years now and it hasn't happened.  They were clearly bigger than MD in the trenches on Friday night and weren't able to get much going at all on offense.  their passing game was not impressive and their rushing attack didn't generate much at all.  Their only score occurred as time expired at the end of the game with their starters still in vs MD's back ups.  I wonder how long of a leash this coach will have to turn them into a consistent winner

Watching the Castle game it was clear they (North) had more size and athleticism than Castle.   

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:39 PM, TigerFan20 said:

Season is almost over, Reitz is 2 games ahead

Friday, Sep. 30
Bosse at Mater Dei ©, 7 pm
Central at Harrison ©, 7 pm
North at Vincennes ©, 6:30 pm
Reitz at Memorial ©, 7 pm
Jasper at Castle ©, 6:30 pm

Mater Dei

Harrison

Vincennes

Reitz

Castle

6 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

What about previous coaches?   How long were they there?   I don’t know why but I feel like North doesn’t expect much and keeps coaches around forever.   I could be completely wrong. 

Well, Bret Szabo only lasted 5 seasons (2013-17).  Before him, Mike Wilson was there over 20 years.  Wilson had some years of success (especially during the Deke Cooper era).  But he was around .500 over his career.

But part of the underlying dynamic here is that North HS moved around 2011 or so.  The school has seen demographic changes and such.

8 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Well, Bret Szabo only lasted 5 seasons (2013-17).  Before him, Mike Wilson was there over 20 years.  Wilson had some years of success (especially during the Deke Cooper era).  But he was around .500 over his career.

But part of the underlying dynamic here is that North HS moved around 2011 or so.  The school has seen demographic changes and such.

I've always felt Mike Wilson was a good coach and solid person, and kind of got the shaft when the move to the new school happened. North had inadequate facilities and what seemed like less support than some of the other EVSC schools for much of the time he was there. When all that changed, he got pushed out. We have a couple of coaches from his staff that have been with us for 10 years or so, and they have been great additions. 

• Like 2