Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 6 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

Post your questions and observations here, and we’ll see if we can sort it out.

I’ll start with one we had in our game last night.

4th & 4 and Team K is punting. While the kick is in flight, there”s a flag on K8 for holding. Meanwhile, R6 sort of waves his hand in front of him, and the back judge has a flag for an invalid fair catch signal. R6 catches the kick, the back judge blows the whistle, but R6 takes off running anyway. The back judge has another flag for delay of game. Options? Enforcement? 

12 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Post your questions and observations here, and we’ll see if we can sort it out.

I’ll start with one we had in our game last night.

4th & 4 and Team K is punting. While the kick is in flight, there”s a flag on K8 for holding. Meanwhile, R6 sort of waves his hand in front of him, and the back judge has a flag for an invalid fair catch signal. R6 catches the kick, the back judge blows the whistle, but R6 takes off running anyway. The back judge has another flag for delay of game. Options? Enforcement? 

Delay of game enforced. Dead ball foul prior to the snap.

Edited by gonzoron

6 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Why didn't the delay of game prevent the entire play from even happening? 

The delay of game occurred when R6 ran with the ball after it was dead.

5 hours ago, Irishman said:

The holding and invalid signal offset. The delay of game is enforced from the previous spot; so, the penalty yards give K a 1st down. 

Sorry, thanks for playing.😂

Edited by Bobref
  • Haha 1

The key is that R’s live ball foul (invalid fair catch signal) is a post scrimmage kick foul. So, we first go to team R and tell them they can keep the ball, but only if they decline K’s holding penalty. If they don’t, the live ball fouls offset and the dead ball foul against R is enforced, giving K a first down. So, since R will decline the holding penalty, K accepts the 5 yd. penalty for invalid fair catch, and the 5 yd. dead ball foul for delay is also enforced. So, it’s R’s ball, 1st & 10, 10 yds. behind the spot where the ball was declared dead.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The key is that R’s live ball foul (invalid fair catch signal) is a post scrimmage kick foul. So, we first go to team R and tell them they can keep the ball, but only if they decline K’s holding penalty. If they don’t, the live ball fouls offset and the dead ball foul against R is enforced, giving K a first down. So, since R will decline the holding penalty, K accepts the 5 yd. penalty for invalid fair catch, and the 5 yd. dead ball foul for delay is also enforced. So, it’s R’s ball, 1st & 10, 10 yds. behind the spot where the ball was declared dead.

So, I was kinda right in one of the scenarios here......so I got that goin for me.........which is nice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, Irishman said:

So, I was kinda right in one of the scenarios here......so I got that goin for me.........which is nice. 

"When you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

• Haha 2