Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Class Changes

We are new to Indiana and the WRC. Trying to figure out how they determine what class your school is in. For example I noticed PH and Seeger only have a difference of 19 students 9-12. However PH is 1A with Seeger 2A. Am I looking at this wrong?

5 minutes ago, Hoosier21 said:

We are new to Indiana and the WRC. Trying to figure out how they determine what class your school is in. For example I noticed PH and Seeger only have a difference of 19 students 9-12. However PH is 1A with Seeger 2A. Am I looking at this wrong?

Well every class will have a line drawn where X number of schools go into each class. In this example, it seems Seeger is above that line and Parke Heritage is below that line.

I guess to further clarify for every class, it isn't set at a firm enrollment number. Here's a simple example of 6 teams divided into 3 classes, based on the fact that there needs to be 2 teams in each class.

Team A - 100 kids

Team B - 80 kids

Team C - 79 kids

Team D - 70 kids

Team E - 60 kids

Team F - 35 kids

Even though there is a difference of 1 kid between Team B and Team C, Team B is in the higher class becaus there needs to be 2 teams per class/division. In the IHSAA, it's roughly divided as such:

Lets say there were 324 schools that play high school football in Indiana

32 Largest Schools - Class 6A

Then they work from the bottom up.

64 Smallest Schools - Class 1A

Next 64 Smallest to Largest Schools - Class 2A

Next 64 Smallest to Largest Schools - Class 3A

Next 64 Smallest to Largest Schools - Class 4A

That leaves 36 remaining schools, and they get placed in Class 5A

17 hours ago, Hoosier21 said:

The IHSAA classifies schools based on enrollment.  The goal is to have 64 schools in classes 1-4A and 32 each in 5-6A.  If there are not 320 schools, the numbers are adjusted in the lower classes.  You may also have schools moved up due to the Success Factor.

It is possible for schools that have 1 more student than another to be in different classifications due to where the divider falls between the divisions.  Classes are adjusted every 2 years, so schools on the border sometimes move up and down depending on their enrollment cycles.

• Like 1