Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Low Teacher Wages forces Coach to Resign

9 minutes ago, psaboy said:

That's plain stupid

Meanwhile, they increased funding for charter and voucher schools several orders of magnitude higher than the increase in public school funding. Rural schools are getting hammered because their enrollment is declining. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Meanwhile, they increased funding for charter and voucher schools several orders of magnitude higher than the increase in public school funding. Rural schools are getting hammered because their enrollment is declining. 

And usually its not declining because students are choosing to go to a charter or private school!  So the argument of "be a better school" does not apply!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

And usually its not declining because students are choosing to go to a charter or private school!  So the argument of "be a better school" does not apply!

Why is it declining? I know in our area, Springs Valley, Paoli, Crawford County, Orleans, NE Dubois, Shoals are all declining when there are more jobs in the area than ever before. So people aren't really transferring to other schools. Are people not reproducing as much? A smart man told me that the issue is there are more jobs in the area so all the people that like to draw unemployment moved out of the area. He might be on to something.

As I am just finishing up my second year teaching, I am currently looking and applying into other professions.  Where I see myself and want myself to be in 10, 20, or 30 years, teaching cannot get me there.  Pathetic I have to choose between mine and my future families well being vs the growth and well being of students.  Thankfully, I was hired in at the right time and last year was the first year everyone got a raise. Before that the corporation went 6 years without a raise WITH insurance costs increasing.  I encourage all of us to put your foot down if you feel so inclined. Nothing will change unless there is drastic change from our corner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psaboy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Catholic schools are pretty much funded by that certain church, not with tax payer money like these charter schools?

One of the things that makes me question my mother church.  

7 minutes ago, Robert said:

Going in to start my PGP adventure now.  LVIS is in the building. 

I just did too, even though my license doesn't expire until 2023.

Still awaiting some answers.

28 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Why is it declining? I know in our area, Springs Valley, Paoli, Crawford County, Orleans, NE Dubois, Shoals are all declining when there are more jobs in the area than ever before. So people aren't really transferring to other schools. Are people not reproducing as much? A smart man told me that the issue is there are more jobs in the area so all the people that like to draw unemployment moved out of the area. He might be on to something.

In the olden days, small rural communities would be where the whole family lived.  Nowadays we have social media, therefore many people feel more comfortable moving away while keeping good relationships.  Statistics show most young people move to the city, where they might find a hiring paying job.  Some people may think there is less opportunity here.  Statistics also show many Americans are reproducing less.  There are a lot of different reasons the numbers are declining.  I will give you an example. Teacher lives in NE Dubois and his/her children go to school in Jasper. "Jasper can offer my child more opportunities so I send them there." 

• Like 1

Who is gonna make these changes? The only ones getting screwed here are teachers. Legislators spend all day making decisions that don’t apply to them or affect their lives in any way...school administrators make way too much money now (and continue to get raises)...most parents are so jaded and bitter that they have no respect for the teaching profession. I think the ultimate goal of the Indiana Legislature is to privatize education. Their policies are creating a teacher shortage. When the teacher shortage becomes critical, they will take action to privatize education....problem solved. A once vital and noble profession has been reduced to that of a public whipping boy. 

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

So many teachers logged in from yesterday through today,  it crashed the system. lol

yes!

I dont want to "waste" over 4 years of my license just to get started on this before 7/1.

my question to my building was, how far into the process of renewing our license do we need to get to that grandfathers us in?

Basically if I start it now and sit on it for another 4 years, am I good?

I have my contract from 2007-2008 when that was the last use of the old sliding scale.   I remember being sold on the fact we can make more money because of RISE and they have to pay for the earned evals.  I think we all know that even if you have EARNED a raise the school still can say, yes, but there is not Money for your earned raise, oops.     If I were to have been able to use the same sliding scale from that contract 12 years ago, I would of made $3200 more dollars on my base, that is if there was NO RAISE to the scale in the last 12 years and it stayed status quo.    

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Coach_K said:

What is the ultimate goal of those in charge?

Back to this question... some "fun" stats to consider. From Forbes Magazine, looking at average pay increase over the time span of 2002-2017, Indiana ranked 50th out of 50 in the nation, with the average increase over that time of $6,900. From USAToday, the average teacher salary in Indiana is 38th. That poll includes US territories as well. So, what is the goal? there is no doubt in my mind that legislators put teachers more clearly in their cross hairs this session. There is now a requirement that two bargaining sessions have to be done in public, allowing for public comments. There was also a bill that started as saying that if a teachers' association was slapped with a unfair labor practice complaint, it would be fined $5,000. the original bill had no such penalty for district administrations being slapped with a fine for a ULP. The bill was later amended to include administrations; but here is the rub. If a district gets hit with a ULP, the money to cover the fine comes from the general fund, while the money to pay the penalty for an association comes out of the pockets of teachers. And now we have this 11th hour change to licensing. So the questions arise, what is the end game here? Are we trying to keep the great teachers we have? Are we trying to attract teachers from other states? Are we trying to make the profession attractive to young people so they consider it a career option? Politicians claim the teacher shortage is a national problem. While that may be true, the fact is a number of states are trying hard to fix it. Even Alaska, who ranks first in that Forbes poll, has seen an average increase of $27,000. Sadly, Indiana's politicians are interested in destroying the concept that teaching is a career path. They do not want teachers staying more than 5 years. The mindset is that the high turnover will weaken local associations. Buuuuut, membership in districts in this area has increased. I hope that happens in other areas as well.

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Word from Dr. McCormick's office is that yes, you are good if you start now.

nice, basically just start it and thats it?  dont have to pay right now or hit the submit button to renew license?

17 minutes ago, SSHS said:

Who is gonna make these changes? The only ones getting screwed here are teachers. Legislators spend all day making decisions that don’t apply to them or affect their lives in any way...school administrators make way too much money now (and continue to get raises)...most parents are so jaded and bitter that they have no respect for the teaching profession. I think the ultimate goal of the Indiana Legislature is to privatize education. Their policies are creating a teacher shortage. When the teacher shortage becomes critical, they will take action to privatize education....problem solved. A once vital and noble profession has been reduced to that of a public whipping boy. 

I used to think that privatizing the system was the ultimate goal. I am not so sure though. If the system were completely privatized, there would be a LOT less money going to those schools. The goal in my mind, is that tax dollars go more toward these "choice" schools than what goes to public schools. More investment means greater profit to their lobbyist friends.

Don't forget you can professionalize your license 1 time during your career.  That is a 10 year license, not 4 or 5 for normal renewal.  I professionalized the last time I renewed.  Then I had enough and got out of teaching after 18 years and went to work in private industry.  Best career move I could have made.  Doubled my pay, better insurance, way, way, way better retirement benefits and get this........I am treated well and like a professional!  I just could take public education anymore.  Not the profession I went into many years ago.  Good luck my education friends.......don't think it will get much better.  May improve some but once you lose benefits, rights, etc. they tend to never come back.  Idiots in Indy make sure of that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

yes!

I dont want to "waste" over 4 years of my license just to get started on this before 7/1.

my question to my building was, how far into the process of renewing our license do we need to get to that grandfathers us in?

Basically if I start it now and sit on it for another 4 years, am I good?

Or you just wait a year or two and do nothing and the licensing will change again.  

When I got my license initially under Rules 2002, we had to create a portfolio showing something (I never did it because I did not find a teaching job right away) but by the time I landed a job, the portfolio was already scrapped.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

Or you just wait a year or two and do nothing and the licensing will change again.  

When I got my license initially under Rules 2002, we had to create a portfolio showing something (I never did it because I did not find a teaching job right away) but by the time I landed a job, the portfolio was already scrapped.

LOL.  Just got the same advice from my building.  Almost verbatim.

5 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

Good info!

3 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

Good info!

5 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

LOL.  Just got the same advice from my building.  Almost verbatim.

Is it bad that we are teachers and this is how we are spending our time??  It's the end of the year is a good excuse....

• Haha 1

Just now, SoIndRef said:

Is it bad that we are teachers and this is how we are spending our time??  It's the end of the year is a good excuse....

My kids just got done iLearn testing.

4 minutes ago, SquidBlitz said:

Civil War portfolio for my 8th graders.  Today they are working on making biography cards for Union and Confederates.  Pretty much self lead for me.

good lesson plan my man