Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Low Teacher Wages forces Coach to Resign

8 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

I teach in the middle school in the afternoon and the class is "Current Events" so it is basically whatever I make of it.

gotcha.  i guess i was wondering why you quoted me when i was quoting someone else.  sorry.  got lost.

6 hours ago, Robert said:

One of the things that makes me question my mother church.  

Agreed. When I taught in Indy Catholic schools, then Archbishop Buechlein was vehemently opposed to them as we were seeing what was happening with them in Milwaukee's Catholic schools. Quite the dramatic shift from those days.

6 hours ago, johnathanspencer said:

Don't forget you can professionalize your license 1 time during your career.  That is a 10 year license, not 4 or 5 for normal renewal.  I professionalized the last time I renewed.  Then I had enough and got out of teaching after 18 years and went to work in private industry.  Best career move I could have made.  Doubled my pay, better insurance, way, way, way better retirement benefits and get this........I am treated well and like a professional!  I just could take public education anymore.  Not the profession I went into many years ago.  Good luck my education friends.......don't think it will get much better.  May improve some but once you lose benefits, rights, etc. they tend to never come back.  Idiots in Indy make sure of that.

So, how do you "professionalize" your license?

21 minutes ago, psaboy said:

So, how do you "professionalize" your license?

Mine was professionalized last time I renewed it. No idea how. Just noticed it when it was sent back. 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:48 PM, DanteEstonia said:

Is Kagan a thing in Indiana?

It depends on the schools who bring them in.  I had some Kagan training way back when.  People look at me like I'm a nut sometimes when I get the music going.  

I believe it is a selection you make in LVIS when you apply for renewal.  It has been awhile.  I am letting mine expire.  I am done with teaching.  Working in private industry has been a breathe of fresh air.  And if I ever feel the call to coach again I can do it as a volunteer or position coach.  Just don't see the "call" being that strong again.  I am liking my golfing days way too much!

6 minutes ago, johnathanspencer said:

I believe it is a selection you make in LVIS when you apply for renewal.  It has been awhile.  I am letting mine expire.  I am done with teaching.  Working in private industry has been a breathe of fresh air.  And if I ever feel the call to coach again I can do it as a volunteer or position coach.  Just don't see the "call" being that strong again.  I am liking my golfing days way too much!

I have a friend who regularly runs marathons, plays 18 or 36, and eats like a king on the clock.  Must be nice.  I had a chocolate cake with cherry icing last week and a couple of tacos for teacher appreciation week.  Once, I gave a talk at an international conference, only to get sick and just kind of stand there while my colleague did all of the talking.    🙂

Edited by Robert

3 hours ago, SquidBlitz said:

The first year doing this one.  Seems to be a hit so far.

I guess another question I pose, is what is the Unions' position on this? Members pay over $700.00 a year to be represented, so what are they doing?

21 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I guess another question I pose, is what is the Unions' position on this? Members pay over $700.00 a year to be represented, so what are they doing?

I've dropped the union before and will watch this closely.

It still floors me, changing the topic a little, how people really think teachers do nothing but babysit.  I'm reading and rereading this BS on facebook from people in business who act as if we teachers aren't good enough to do anything.  When I chime in that I've worked on some darn fine teams and that many of the teachers I've worked with work elsewhere and are often asked to be management, they balk and/or say things about their wives being teachers...  Those who can, teach!  

43 minutes ago, psaboy said:

19 minutes ago, Robert said:

I've dropped the union before and will watch this closely.

It still floors me, changing the topic a little, how people really think teachers do nothing but babysit.  I'm reading and rereading this BS on facebook from people in business who act as if we teachers aren't good enough to do anything.  When I chime in that I've worked on some darn fine teams and that many of the teachers I've worked with work elsewhere and are often asked to be management, they balk and/or say things about their wives being teachers...  Those who can, teach!  

Watch what happens when the union goes away. Arizona is largely deunionized...

52 minutes ago, psaboy said:

You should see some of the things the union has actually kept from happening. The 15 hour externship had been one of them, but dirty politics at its worst pushed it through at the 11th hour; to the point that AFT, ISTA and even the DOE and Dr. McCormick were unaware.

That said, I will say that teachers have been their own worst enemies in Indiana. Even after ALL of this in the last 10 years, there are still teachers who will say there are other issues that are more important, and vote for these people any way; which has led us to having a supermajority that cares little about the people of this State. Add to it that a number of districts have been gerrymandered so bad, it literally eliminated competition; further diminishing our voices.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/9/2019 at 10:16 PM, psaboy said:

My emphasis below....

• Professional development provided by the state, a local business, or a community partner that provides opportunities for school and employers to partner in promoting career navigation;
  • Professional development provided by the state, a local business, or a community partner that outlines:
    • current and future economic needs of the community, state, nation, and globe; and
    • ways in which current and future economic needs described in (A) can be disseminated to students.

To me, this means your local school district AND the DOE should be working together to provide you with multiple hours of PD training each year that fit this role...in other words, part of your faculty training across the district should accomplish this without need for you to do it on your own.  If 3-5 of your PD hours each year were directed towards these topics, anyone on the PGP renewal plan would easily fulfill this requirement.

I'm not necessarily a fan of this plan, but I don't think its a "sky is falling" type of problem if your local district gears your PD towards meeting this need.  The result is that more and more of your professional meeting time is going to be eaten away by these types of requirements (these community partner hours, ALICE training, suicide prevention, etc) and less of your meeting time will be available to you to actual work on curriculum, planning, etc.

my 2cents....likely worth as much or less :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1