Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HNAC Week Seven

10 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Coming into the final third of the regular season.

Here we go . . .

Caston at Culver

Glenn at LaVille

Pioneer at Knox

Triton at North Judson

West Central at Winamac

What say you?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

I would love to hear from someone who was at the Laville/Knox game on how Knox almost pulled off the upset!

I wasn't at the game, but we saw them week 2. It is night and day how much better this Knox team is from last year. I was shocked when Judson beat them 26-0. That was a statement game for Judson that I don't think a lot of people realized was. I did hear from someone there might have been some uncommon mistakes from Laville that helped Knox back in the game because it was 21-7 halfway through the 4th quarter. Has not been a good year for Knox and going for two in the closing minutes. Lost to Rochester by two on an unsuccessful two point conversion with under a min left in the game. Lost to Laville with under a min left going for two to win the game. The difference in a 3-3 season for them so far rather than 5-1.

So, LaVille scored first. 

One play, and boom . . . In the end zone.

Knox the kick.

Then Knox scored on a long drive.  Must have been 15 plays or something like that. 

Knox held LaVille on downs twice in the second quarter. Knox offense definitely had the ball more in the first half than LaVille and led 7-6.

LaVille looked like it wanted to run the ball more than pass.

LaVille's quarterback had a few runs, maybe six or seven, but was able to score inside the 10.

With LaVille ahead, Knox started its comeback in the 4th.

The Knox QB is pretty sharp.  Several times he kept the ball and ran for 5-6 yards at a time.

The Knox RB is quick and is probably one of their best players. I think he's a freshman. And he was able to make some big plays to help the offense.

He made a nice catch in double coverage that led to a Knox score. 

After Knox scored and the score was 21-20, two timeouts were called.  Look like Knox was trying to draw LaVille offside, but LaVille didn't bite.

Then Knox went for a Wildcat to RB and he tried up the middle.

LaVille stuffed them and then was able to run out the clock.

I give Knox at of credit. They hung in and gave LaVille a good game.

Knox certainly nearly pulled off the upset.

from_the_sidelines007 

Some interesting matchups this week.  

I was shocked by how close Knox played the Lancers.  I tend to think that was a letdown by LaVille, but who knows?  Maybe they are more vulnerable than I thought.  I don't think they'll have any trouble with Glenn this week.

Before last Friday's outcome, I would have given Pioneer a decent chance to beat Knox.  But now I don't know.  Pioneer is still a pretty good team!  They are disciplined and well-coached like always!  But they may not have the athletes to hang with Knox for 48 minutes.

Triton and Judson should be a good one!  Obviously you want to win every game, but I wouldn't worry too much about winning this Friday night.  I'd be more concerned about trying to discover Judson's weaknesses and areas of vulnerability.  If a conference title were on the line, then I'd do everything possible to win the game.  But I'd much rather win the rematch in October/November than win this one.  I would definitely be trying out stuff to see what might work on both sides of the ball.

Culver should win easily.  Winamac will have their hands full with West Central.

5 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

So, LaVille scored first. 

One play, and boom . . . In the end zone.

Knox the kick.

Then Knox scored on a long drive.  Must have been 15 plays or something like that. 

Knox held LaVille on downs twice in the second quarter. Knox offense definitely had the ball more in the first half than LaVille and led 7-6.

LaVille looked like it wanted to run the ball more than pass.

LaVille's quarterback had a few runs, maybe six or seven, but was able to score inside the 10.

With LaVille ahead, Knox started its comeback in the 4th.

The Knox QB is pretty sharp.  Several times he kept the ball and ran for 5-6 yards at a time.

The Knox RB is quick and is probably one of their best players. I think he's a freshman. And he was able to make some big plays to help the offense.

He made a nice catch in double coverage that led to a Knox score. 

After Knox scored and the score was 21-20, two timeouts were called.  Look like Knox was trying to draw LaVille offside, but LaVille didn't bite.

Then Knox went for a Wildcat to RB and he tried up the middle.

LaVille stuffed them and then was able to run out the clock.

I give Knox at of credit. They hung in and gave LaVille a good game.

Knox certainly nearly pulled off the upset.

from_the_sidelines007 

Laville could have been up anywhere from 27-7 to 31-7 at the start of the 4th as they missed a field goal and got stuff on 5 yard line by Knox in 2nd quarter! But that’s why play the game and keep fighting! Great game by Knox! 

10 hours ago, Oldschool said:

I would love to hear from someone who was at the Laville/Knox game on how Knox almost pulled off the upset!

It was a combination of LaVille playing their worst game of the season and Knox playing maybe their best. 

Gotta give a lot of credit to Knox. I don't know the numbers, but T.O.P. had to be crazy lopsided. LaVille only had 3 possessions in the first half! 1 TD, incomplete pass on 4th and goal, and a punt. They did a great job keeping LaVille's offense off the field. 

The late run by Knox was set up by some bone headed personal fouls down the stretch by LaVille. 

Knox and LaVille seem to always play eachother really tight, so I'm not surprised by the score. 

It was a nailbiter to watch! Glad the good guys came out on top! 😜

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gap Down Backer said:

Caston at Culver- 

Glenn at LaVille

Pioneer at Knox

Triton at North Judson

West Central at Winamac

I'm intrigued by Pioneer at Knox and Triton at NJSP this week.

Pioneer is a good program, I just think the way Knox played with LaVille that this could be an very interesting game.

I give Knox a lot of credit.  People can say what they want, I watched the game and thought Knox did a heckuva job coming back after being down 14 points deep into the third quarter.

They had to get two scores on LaVille's defense and they got two scores.

LaVIlle is still a very strong team.  A lot of veterans playing on that team and a solid coaching staff.

Those seniors have played in many ballgames and I believe that matters come crunch time.

Triton and NJSP also intrigues me.  Both teams have some talented kids.

IMO thIS one might just come down to who has the ball last.

Like we've said . . .  that's why we play the games boys and girls!

from_the_sidelines007

I don't see any of these games being super close this week. I don't know anything about West Central so that game with Winamac might be close, but all the others I see them being three touchdown games. Knox will just wear Pioneer down for four quarters. Laville is going to be refocused with something to prove this week. It feels odd saying that for a team coming off a win, but I feel a statement this Friday will be made by the Lancers. As for Triton and NJ, the improvement is very obvious in this Triton team. I watched a few games on the IHSAA website and was very impressed with their team as a whole, not just the running back who is a great player. I just don't think they can keep it close with Judson. This North Judson team is just something special. I picked them back in June to represent the North at LOS. The good teams find a way to keep getting better and that is exactly what this Judson team seems to do week in and week out. Comes down to great leadership from the players and one heck of a coaching staff!

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I don't see any of these games being super close this week. I don't know anything about West Central so that game with Winamac might be close, but all the others I see them being three touchdown games. Knox will just wear Pioneer down for four quarters. Laville is going to be refocused with something to prove this week. It feels odd saying that for a team coming off a win, but I feel a statement this Friday will be made by the Lancers. As for Triton and NJ, the improvement is very obvious in this Triton team. I watched a few games on the IHSAA website and was very impressed with their team as a whole, not just the running back who is a great player. I just don't think they can keep it close with Judson. This North Judson team is just something special. I picked them back in June to represent the North at LOS. The good teams find a way to keep getting better and that is exactly what this Judson team seems to do week in and week out. Comes down to great leadership from the players and one heck of a coaching staff!

I know you play the game on the field.  But I find it interesting that @hhpatriot04 prediction tool has Triton a 7 point favorite in this game.

image.png.a7cffc48a5cf915373353785f6de1648.png

Harrell has Judson winning by 11, 35-24.

So far, the only team Judson has played that could have given them a challenge was Knox.  And the Jays won that one comfortably.  I think Triton will give Judson a good game and I don't think it will be a blowout.  Triton's defense is pretty good (LaVille game the blemish on the stat line).  So we'll see how it goes.  But as I've said before, this one is not the one that will define either team's season.  It's the potential sectional matchup that matters.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, littledog said:

Don’t worry they won’t. They’ve heard all year how Laville and triton are the big dogs of the conference. 

50 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

I know you play the game on the field.  But I find it interesting that @hhpatriot04 prediction tool has Triton a 7 point favorite in this game.

So far, the only team Judson has played that could have given them a challenge was Knox.  And the Jays won that one comfortably.  I think Triton will give Judson a good game and I don't think it will be a blowout.  Triton's defense is pretty good (LaVille game the blemish on the stat line).  So we'll see how it goes.  But as I've said before, this one is not the one that will define either team's season.  It's the potential sectional matchup that matters.

Fine Print,  wondering what the prediction was on that site for the Triton/Bremen game?  Harrell had Bremen as a 11 point favorite as well.

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

Ok, I think we can scratch that prediction from the Matchup Tool.  I believe the factor used for Triton has been mixed up with (2A) Triton Central.  When that gets corrected I would expect Triton to be the underdog.  The tool uses Sagarin's predictor rating, and Judson's rating is about 8 points higher than Triton.  That makes more sense to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinePrint said:

Ok, I think we can scratch that prediction from the Matchup Tool.  I believe the factor used for Triton has been mixed up with (2A) Triton Central.  When that gets corrected I would expect Triton to be the underdog.  The tool uses Sagarin's predictor rating, and Judson's rating is about 8 points higher than Triton.  That makes more sense to me.

Thanks. I'll have to look at why it's doing that.

6 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Winamac lost to Culver by 6 but had 5 turnovers against the Cavaliers.  They've had turnovers issues the last 3 games especially since they had to rely on their sophomore QB a lot more due to their main running back being out. 

Winamac's best player missed the last 3 games and will be back this week. Jones is by far their best play maker and that should bode well for the Warriors. I think had Jones been playing these last 3 games, they beat Culver and score once or twice on both LaVille and Judson.

3 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

I definitely see Triton giving NJ a good game this week, but I agree with wht Fine Print said earlier, If I'm Triton I am keeping in vanilla.  No need wasting all the secrets on them now, save it for the post season.

I would totally not do that. The last two years it seemed Winamac kept it pretty vanilla but opened it up against LCC. Last season it seemed they didn't want to show Judson much but when it came time for the game, the rain and field conditions didn't allow Winamac to do that. 

And it's not even guaranteed that Triton will face Judson in sectionals one or both could get upset (I doubt it) but it could happen. 

4 hours ago, FinePrint said:

CMA challenged North Judson for a half and Winamac only trailed 7-0 with 4 mins to go in the first half. A big TD run and a pick 6 pushed it to 21-0. Winamac also had some success throwing the ball as well...and this is without Jones. Winamac doesn't win with him but it wasn't a blow out like it appeared and they compete a little longer with Jones. 

The Jays match up w Winamac this year was much closer then the 2021 game. 

Judson has a great front 7 but their secondary and offensively they still got some work to do.

Edited by WalterSobchak

If North Judson is going to give Adams Central a challenge to represent the north at LOS, they can prove themselves in the next three weeks.  Arguably, they will play the two best teams on their schedule in the last three weeks of the regular season.  A nice way to head into sectional play if they can take care of business!  They'll have some good momentum going into the tourney.  Of course a loss to either Triton or Pioneer could really play with their heads.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:54 AM, FinePrint said:

Some interesting matchups this week.  

I was shocked by how close Knox played the Lancers.  I tend to think that was a letdown by LaVille, but who knows?  Maybe they are more vulnerable than I thought.  I don't think they'll have any trouble with Glenn this week.

Before last Friday's outcome, I would have given Pioneer a decent chance to beat Knox.  But now I don't know.  Pioneer is still a pretty good team!  They are disciplined and well-coached like always!  But they may not have the athletes to hang with Knox for 48 minutes.

Triton and Judson should be a good one!  Obviously you want to win every game, but I wouldn't worry too much about winning this Friday night.  I'd be more concerned about trying to discover Judson's weaknesses and areas of vulnerability.  If a conference title were on the line, then I'd do everything possible to win the game.  But I'd much rather win the rematch in October/November than win this one.  I would definitely be trying out stuff to see what might work on both sides of the ball.

Culver should win easily.  Winamac will have their hands full with West Central.

Some interesting points you make here, FinePrint.

I'm not sold on a potential match up that may or may not happen.

I'm more you play the here and now.  You go with what you know.

And Triton and North Judson both know that they play a Hoosier North game Friday.

Now I'm not saying that you throw your entire playbook at NJ.  Definitely take notes, see what works.  What doesn't work.

You'll also have the tape to refer to down the road should a state tournament game between the two happen.

Just not a big believer that you hide something now in exchange for something that may not even happen.

If what you are doing works, stick with what works.  Why would you go away from what you are doing to keep things 'vanilla'?

Make the other team stop what is effective for you.

I guess my big question here is, what do you tell your team?

Oh, we are going with these five plays for the entire game because there is this chance that we might play them in the state tournament and we don't want to show them anything now.  You've been working hard in the off-season to play a game that has a 'vanilla' package?

I just don't believe that is a good strategy.

Let the kids play the game and let the kids decide who wins.

Just one person's opinion.

from_the_sidelines007