Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Field Turfs suck

Come on now.  

anyone who has played on grass in Indiana knows that by October/early November it’s basically like playing in concrete.  The grass has stopped growing…gets cold and wet….grounds managers can’t really fix anything either.

It’s nice on the grass in august when it hasn’t been destroyed and patched up 10x over and everything is level and it’s still warm. 2 months in though it’s just dirt spots and a few ankle killers scattered around 

• Like 7

Well, Cathedral and Cincinnati LaSalle are playing on grass Friday night.  Maybe you should come watch that.  BTW, I prefer Field Turf.  It's sad to see some NFL teams painting the dirt green late in the season.  Field Turf should be mandated.  

Oh, and if you need lawn service, Turf Dogs handles the grass field at Arlington and do an outstanding job.  Well, unless a couple of inches of rain falls on game day.  Not much can be done with that situation.

Back in the day, playing in the mud was fun, and to add on to what Dumfries said, and looking at the picture Thor posted, restoring a field back to good condition is very expensive. That includes the number of man hours involved in the work. And it may take years to fully restore it. Until it is restored, the field is useless. Schools that cannot afford to fully restore a field, will do patchwork repair. That, in my opinion, puts student athletes at far greater risk than the turf. Too many have these visions of their schools having had perfect fields like many NFL and college teams have, and that just is not the case. In the bigger picture, the new turf fields are safer, and save districts money. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You can also practice daily on field turf which you can't do on a grass game field. A turf field is more practical for schools in the long run because you can use it year round for a multitude of events which you really can't do with a grass field, especially if you are rehabbing it after football season.

• Like 1

I would also add that the use of turf fields has increased for mort schools dramatically. Just being able to have Physical Education classes using it is significant, but the band and soccer programs likely use them now as well. I know they do here. The PAL teams get to use it along with the middle school. Prior to turf, we were limited to just the Varsity, JV, frosh, and middle school games....no practices at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sure, you go play/officiate on that shit next week/rest of the season!

Lol, it was just fine for the one single game, but has been a mess ever since. A full off-season of recovery and it still isn’t fully back yet. Hopefully turf soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Another thing we are not considering

Parents, but mostly moms, who have to get the mud and grass stains out of white jerseys.

do you think anyone who does the laundry for the kids wants to go back to grass? Lol 

My mom was the best, she prepared me for life, hence I was doing my own laundry in HS and ever since! If you want it done right, do it yourself!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

So the group sentiment is convience over saftey. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

*convenience* *safety*

No, there is no proof that more injuries are caused by field turf. For every citation that states this, there is one disproving it. 

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

My mom was the best, she prepared me for life, hence I was doing my own laundry in HS and ever since! If you want it done right, do it yourself!

If I was a betting man i would still put my money on a mom of boys knowing how to get a stain out of something over the teenager lol

i think (or hope) everyone can do their own laundry but let’s be honest here….if the teenagers were left to wash their own jerseys, every team would have a 4th school color of green or brown lol