Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Field Turfs suck

11 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Come on now.  

anyone who has played on grass in Indiana knows that by October/early November it’s basically like playing in concrete.  The grass has stopped growing…gets cold and wet….grounds managers can’t really fix anything either.

It’s nice on the grass in august when it hasn’t been destroyed and patched up 10x over and everything is level and it’s still warm. 2 months in though it’s just dirt spots and a few ankle killers scattered around 

Meh, I did it in the 1980's.  What is so difficult about doing it now?

15 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Just keep trying MarshallCounty.  I've posted many of the same reports on various other threads concerning field turf here on the GID, and they are all discounted by the pro-turfers.  They just love spending taxpayer dollars, I guess.

9 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

i think (or hope) everyone can do their own laundry but let’s be honest here….if the teenagers were left to wash their own jerseys, every team would have a 4th school color of green or brown lol 

In my football playing days washing uniforms was primarily the job of the team managers.  Do they still have those?

5 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I feel like you answered your own question.

only thing constant in life is change 

But not all change is good.

Just give me the new-fangled LED stadium lights with their bling-bling flashing colors.  I hear it only cost Frankfort around $350,00 to install.

Roncalli lost their soccer field when they built the Fine Arts wing.  Due to ADA regulations, it was going to cost over $1.5 million to build a new grass soccer stadium.  Instead Roncalli saved over $700,000 by placing field turf on the football field.  Now that facility is used nearly every day all year round - band practices, football practices & games, soccer practices & games, lacrosse practices & games, early season baseball practices, early season softball practices, CYO football games, K-2 flag football games, Scecina football game rentals, IHSAA football playoff game rentals, professional ultimate disc game rentals, graduation ceremonies, etc.    

• Like 1

Is this thread serious??? 

Isn't there a big push in the NFL right now to get rid of all sod/grass fields because of injuries?? 

Believe it was the Shepard receiver who went down on Monday night and they made a big deal about grass fields being unsafe. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, jets said:

Is this thread serious??? 

Isn't there a big push in the NFL right now to get rid of all sod/grass fields because of injuries?? 

Believe it was the Shepard receiver who went down on Monday night and they made a big deal about grass fields being unsafe. 

Actually it is the opposite. They are making a big push to bring back grass fields in the NFL because of Sterling Shepard and Odell Beckam Jr both having non-contact injuries on turf fields.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Actually it is the opposite. They are making a big push to bring back grass fields in the NFL because of Sterling Shepard and Odell Beckam Jr both having non-contact injuries on turf fields.

The thing with NFL grass fields is it looks like the grass height requirements set forth by the NFL are so short that some fields look more like painted dirt.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a30692808/super-bowl-field/

While the grass was kept at a steady height of 5/8ths an inch at the sod farm, the game will be played at a height of 3/4ths an inch.

We should probably make the distinction that NFL non contact injuries are not exactly comparable to HS.  Size speed strength are at an entirely different level. 

the most common injury for Hs football is probably sprained ankles from running on uneven surfaces.  Nfl teams also have entire departments dedicated to preparing the field to make sure the conditions are as ideal as possible.  

basing an argument against turf using Nfl data is so flawed.  

6 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

We should probably make the distinction that NFL non contact injuries are not exactly comparable to HS.  Size speed strength are at an entirely different level. 

the most common injury for Hs football is probably sprained ankles from running on uneven surfaces.  Nfl teams also have entire departments dedicated to preparing the field to make sure the conditions are as ideal as possible.  

basing an argument against turf using Nfl data is so flawed.  

Except they've done studies specifically focused on high school and found the exact same thing. 

image.png.e8e99b9f63dc96e3bc8f9d53a703ca03.png 

6 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Field turf schmield turf. Let's go back to concrete and carpet.

When did carpet come into the mix with concrete?  Most Catholic school kids probably recall that there really wasn't a true "playground" for recess in elementary school.  After the cars dropped off kids in the morning, the parking lot became the playground.  To make matters worse at our school, the school uniform required hard-soled shoes unless your class was on "gym day" ... then you were allowed to wear tennis shoes.  You learned very quickly how to make cuts on concrete and oil slicks when you were playing and how to control your body to keep from ending up on that concrete surface.  And God forbid it had rained before recess.  Acrobatic catches are all the rage on ESPN, but try making those on concrete. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Just now, foxbat said:

When did carpet come into the mix with concrete?  Most Catholic school kids probably recall that there really wasn't a true "playground" for recess in elementary school.  After the cars dropped off kids in the morning, the parking lot became the playground.  To make matters worse at our school, the school uniform required hard-soled shoes unless your class was on "gym day" ... then you were allowed to wear tennis shoes.  You learned very quickly how to make cuts on concrete and oil slicks when you were playing and how to control your body to keep from ending up on that concrete surface.  And God forbid it had rained before recess.  Acrobatic catches are all the rage on ESPN, but try making those on concrete. :classic_smile:

I think we've finally cracked the code on why the Catholic schools are so successful 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Ahhhh took me back to the good ole days!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

Except they've done studies specifically focused on high school and found the exact same thing. 

image.png.e8e99b9f63dc96e3bc8f9d53a703ca03.png 

I think I’m going to have to read over this study when I find some time. 

im curious to see why soccer had no increase to acl injuries but football did.  Would also like to know what injuries were documented seeing as they are talking about torso and upper extremities seeing an increase.  

im not trying to discredit it by any means…but that short synopsis has left me questioning their process as it seems they are including injuries that might not have had anything to do with the field conditions.  The end result shows more injuries but does that mean those injuries were influenced into existence because of the turf? 

17 minutes ago, Rodney said:

I've always been under the impression that football would be better suited to be played on a blacktop

Been there, done that, got the "top-rash" elbows and knees.

6 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

So the group sentiment is convience over saftey. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Not at all........on our grass field, I know of 3 players whose career ended with serious knee injuries, between the game field we played on and our practice field.....have not had a single serious injury in the 5 seasons the turf has been in place. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Not at all........on our grass field, I know of 3 players whose career ended with serious knee injuries, between the game field we played on and our practice field.....have not had a single serious injury in the 5 seasons the turf has been in place. 

Anecdotal evidence vs studies done by medical professionals…

Wonder which is better

I fully agree that more scientific study on this issue needs to be conducted.  Research across multiple sports and including HS, college, and professional teams.  I think there is a place for intelligent discussion and analysis of the data surrounding field turf and injuries to the lower extremities, especially the knee. 

I'm just not so sure this is the place. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

I fully agree that more scientific study on this issue needs to be conducted.  Research across multiple sports and including HS, college, and professional teams.  I think there is a place for intelligent discussion and analysis of the data surrounding field turf and injuries to the lower extremities, especially the knee. 

I'm just not so sure this is the place. 🙂 

Some people are arguing about getting back to old school football

others are arguing about tax dollars 

others are arguing about player safety 

yeahhhh….we are a bit all over the place lol

• Haha 1