Jump to content
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $2,942.04 of $3,600 target

Field Turfs suck


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

In my time at Cathedral, the football team jogged, ran, to CYO Field, which was at least two miles from school.  And, of course, after practice, they ran back to school.

Knowing where CYO Field was (and it looks like the east stands still exist as part of Kuntz Stadium), I'm assuming this is when Cathedral was downtown? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

I played Indiana HS football in the 80's.  Yes, the condition of the field at the end of the season was def not as good as the start, but I don't remember our field or competitors fields being dangerous/unplayable parcels of ground.  All of a sudden it's almost akin to child abuse to have the kids play on grass in Nov/Dec?  Can't remember anyone ever complaining about the game fields or even the practice fields, for that matter.  Also don't remember an inordinate amount of foot/ankle/leg injuries late in the season vs. early on.  They conditions were what they were.  We were just happy to be out there knocking the crap out of each other.

Probably because we didn't have anything else, we didn't know what we were missing.  Now with continuously more schools being turf, I can see how a grass field in late season might not look as attractive to those used to turf, and yes a good turf field keeps the game more consistent in bad weather conditions, I'll admit that.

This curmudgeon still prefers grass and no one's changing my mind.  I know I'm stuck in the past on this, sorry.

I think if we had cried about deteriorating field conditions when I played, the coaches would have told us to HTFU.

We played at Heritage in 2006 in a torrential downpour. When the referee set the ball the dang thing near floated away. We threatened to score but we fumbled on the 3 yard line.  Heritage came down and scored to go up 6-0. Heritage missed the extra point and the rest of the game was football follies.    Heritage and Cass had a good little rivalry going in the early to mid 2000's before sectional realignment. Seeing Heritage under your moniker reminded me of this night and that game.  Coldest, wettest and sloppiest game I have seen.  If the game would have been played on turf I wouldn't have had that memory (LOL).  Im not sure anyone in Northeast Indiana should have been playing on October 27th 2006.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Knowing where CYO Field was (and it looks like the east stands still exist as part of Kuntz Stadium), I'm assuming this is when Cathedral was downtown? 

Yep that is it. We played on it when I was in grade school. Also had the City CYO Track meet there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dcjjones said:

We played at Heritage in 2006 in a torrential downpour. When the referee set the ball the dang thing near floated away. We threatened to score but we fumbled on the 3 yard line.  Heritage came down and scored to go up 6-0. Heritage missed the extra point and the rest of the game was football follies.    Heritage and Cass had a good little rivalry going in the early to mid 2000's before sectional realignment. Seeing Heritage under your moniker reminded me of this night and that game.  Coldest, wettest and sloppiest game I have seen.  If the game would have been played on turf I wouldn't have had that memory (LOL).  Im not sure anyone in Northeast Indiana should have been playing on October 27th 2006.

2006 was the year we moved from IN to TX.  Late October up there has the potential to "interesting"  One of those nights when you want to be on the field, not on on the side line, so you can keep moving and stay somewhat warm.  You def don't forget those epic weather games!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

2006 was the year we moved from IN to TX.  Late October up there has the potential to "interesting"  One of those nights when you want to be on the field, not on on the side line, so you can keep moving and stay somewhat warm.  You def don't forget those epic weather games!

I actually remember a couple of those in Texas too.  Being from Texas you know about how it's really weird that even though it's below 32 degrees, it doesn't really freeze or snow there; at least in the large cities due to the trapped heat.  Played an 8th-grade game where it was raining, but didn't freeze, so we were just wet in that cold the whole game.  Being the center, I had a guy on the sideline dedicated to keeping my hands dry and rubbed down the whole game to keep them somewhat "bendy."  Won the game 8-0.  Headed to the locker room and realized that my hands were so frozen that I couldn't grip the latch to pull it up to open my locker.  Had to sit there for 15 minutes waiting for the ability to pinch my fingers together to open the locker. 

The thing I always remember about that game/season was 1) our coach making us "warm up," butts on the ground stretches, in the water puddles on the field as the opponent's bus pulled in and 2) sitting in that locker room after the game waiting for my hands to thaw out.  I thought our coach was kind of crazy for having us in that water before the game, but looking back, it was genius.  The other team got there and avoided the water as long as they could and no one on their team hit the ground until the game started.  Our team drove that first possession, being about as comfortable as you can be while wet and freezing, and scored while the other team got accustomed to being wet.  Once they got over tiptoeing on the field and trying to avoid falling in the slime of mud and freezing water, they settled down after that first drive, but it turned into a stalemate for the rest of the game; giving us the win.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Knowing where CYO Field was (and it looks like the east stands still exist as part of Kuntz Stadium), I'm assuming this is when Cathedral was downtown? 

We oldtimers still call it the "real" Cathedral.😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...