Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OT rules

EasyEJay

Question

On 4th and 15 , Speedway intercepted Cascade in the Endzone and the play was blown dead immediately with no chance of a return . speedway has yet to posses the ball . Was this the right call or should the speedway defender been allowed to return the interception and end the game ? 

21 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

I guess I should have clarified 4th down from the 15 yard line 3rd down play was a loss of 5 

It is not possible for the defense to possess the ball in OT. But it is possible for the defense to score and win the game.

17 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

On 4th and 15 , Speedway intercepted Cascade in the Endzone and the play was blown dead immediately with no chance of a return . speedway has yet to posses the ball . Was this the right call or should the speedway defender been allowed to return the interception and end the game ? 

Inadvertent whistle.  Yes they can return out of the EZ

36 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That is not correct. Any time the defense possesses the ball in OT, the play is over.  OT rule 5-1-1: “If the defensive team gains possession, the ball becomes dead immediately and the offensive team’s series of downs is ended.”

Gotcha thanks so much for letting us know! We really weren’t sure so we took there word for it . Overall they were a solid crew . A few late game PI calls 😉 wish we wouldn’t have seen but a good crew in a high stakes emotional game 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

That is not correct. Any time the defense possesses the ball in OT, the play is over.  OT rule 5-1-1: “If the defensive team gains possession, the ball becomes dead immediately and the offensive team’s series of downs is ended.”

Sorry @Bobrefand @EasyEJayf.  I didn't realize/read that this was an OT situation.  DUH!   

Absolutely correct with the killing of the play.  DOne once the defense possesses the ball.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

How did you get to 4/15 in OT? Or was it 4/goal?

Years ago (Early 90's I believe, I was at a sectional game between Hamilton SE and Cathedral. It was bitterly cold and the game was low scoring. It went to OT. HSE had the ball, threw a pass and Brian Ford, the kicker for Cathedral intercepts it and runs 97 yards for what many thought was the game winning score....no whistles at any point. The officials met to discuss it. Got the call right, but Cathedral could not yet line up for a FG to win.......the kicker just ran 97 yards, so he was gassed......They had to run a couple plays, then while he was as rested as possible, went out to kick the game winner. 

I thought of that sequence as I read the OP. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Years ago (Early 90's I believe, I was at a sectional game between Hamilton SE and Cathedral. It was bitterly cold and the game was low scoring. It went to OT. HSE had the ball, threw a pass and Brian Ford, the kicker for Cathedral intercepts it and runs 97 yards for what many thought was the game winning score....no whistles at any point. The officials met to discuss it. Got the call right, but Cathedral could not yet line up for a FG to win.......the kicker just ran 97 yards, so he was gassed......They had to run a couple plays, then while he was as rested as possible, went out to kick the game winner. 

I thought of that sequence as I read the OP. 

There was a sectional game some years back where the defense had a pick six in overtime, and the officials screwed it up, and allowed it to stand for the win. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:10 AM, Impartial_Observer said:

I believe West Washington has been involved in two OT anomalies. 
The pick-six game and the infamous 1/10@25 in OT incident and someone scored on their fifth snap and the other team didn’t score in their four snaps. 

It wasn't OT, but a handful of years ago, South Putnam's stud running back got ejected in the season finale @ Cascade, and the IHSAA played Sgt. Schultz and let him play in the sectional opener at West Washington.

Weird stuff happens down there.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, Impartial_Observer said:

I believe West Washington has been involved in two OT anomalies. 
The pick-six game and the infamous 1/10@25 in OT incident and someone scored on their fifth snap and the other team didn’t score in their four snaps. 

Can you remind me the 1st-10 from the 25?  There was a dead ball penalty on their defensive possession, which is why they spotted it at the 25?  

And it should have been 1st and goal from the 25, correct?

20 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Can you remind me the 1st-10 from the 25?  There was a dead ball penalty on their defensive possession, which is why they spotted it at the 25?  

And it should have been 1st and goal from the 25, correct?

I believe there was a dead ball foul on the last play of the game. They set up the stakes 1/10@25, correct the line to gain in OT is ALWAYS the GL. 

On 10/1/2022 at 12:27 AM, Yuccaguy said:

Sorry @Bobrefand @EasyEJayf.  I didn't realize/read that this was an OT situation.  DUH!   

Absolutely correct with the killing of the play.  DOne once the defense possesses the ball.  

What confuses it even more - and @Bobref has pointed this out a time or 16 - is that the college rule (which most people know) is different than the HS rule (which a lot of fans don't know). In NCAA, the defense can possess the ball in OT in college and run an INT back for a TD (just like the defense can tally a two-point conversion with an interception or fumble recovery in college), but as soon as the defense possesses the ball in OT in high school, it's a dead ball.

I'm wondering if that also played into the 1st-and-10 from the 25 in OT confusion.  

I'm frequently having to point those out to our listeners on radio - especially when you have DPI on a play where the team has more than 15 yards to gain :). And honestly, although I'm not an official, the insights on this forum are really helpful as a broadcaster. 

• Like 1

Because the ball is dead when the defense possesses it ... 

Are the only ways a defense could score in OT 
*-A safety (which would be incredible, given it would require the loss of 90 yards)
*-The offensive team fumbling in its own end zone and the D recovering it (and if that happens, is that a score or a dead ball? I presume it's a touchdown for the defense since they don't ever truly "possess" the ball). 

Obviously, both would be ridiculously extraordinary situations.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Because the ball is dead when the defense possesses it ... 

Are the only ways a defense could score in OT 
*-A safety (which would be incredible, given it would require the loss of 90 yards)
*-The offensive team fumbling in its own end zone and the D recovering it (and if that happens, is that a score or a dead ball? I presume it's a touchdown for the defense since they don't ever truly "possess" the ball). 

Obviously, both would be ridiculously extraordinary situations.  

These situations you describe are the same that I thought of in being the only possibilities for the defensive team to score.

Sometimes scenarios are written into rules because they can happen, no matter how unlikely. What a way to lose a ball game.

In my case @crimsonace1..  I stupidly didn't read the BASIS of the question:  OT Rules.

I feel totally silly with responding.  And yes you are correct, the ONE POINT safety is a possibility.  UGH!  

And so is an unbelievable fumble into the offensive end zone resulting in a defensive possession for a TD.  DOUBLE UGH!