Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 8

2 hours ago, FootballFan2000 said:

I find it interesting we haven’t heard from any of the memorial fans their opinions on this play. I know you posted it but you gave no comment. Clearly looks like a TD to me too. 

Here’s my opinion as it has been for years with officials.  The official made a call, live with it and move on. 

Edited by Screagle

2 hours ago, FootballFan2000 said:

I find it interesting we haven’t heard from any of the memorial fans their opinions on this play. I know you posted it but you gave no comment. Clearly looks like a TD to me too. 

It looks like a TD to me.  But maybe they said his foot touched the sideline before he reached for the pylon?

You can’t see from that video if he did or not.  But I guess it’s possible.

Does it matter if the ball crosses over the sideline in the air before crossing the goal line plane?  Good question for @Bobref

Edited by MHSTigerFan

4 hours ago, tango said:

LOL. Listen to the coaches interview on the WZDM livestream after the game. Coach Salters had some serious red @ss going on. 

2 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

VL sideline did not look happy at all

Sounded pretty calm and collected I thought. Just general frustration, as this was probably the third loss that Lincoln has let slip through their fingers.

He even said Memorial was the better team tonight, which they were.

But also I think it was obvious that VL left a couple TDs on the field. They really didn’t have trouble moving the ball all night on the Memorial D  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

Sounded pretty calm and collected I thought. Just general frustration, as this was probably the third loss that Lincoln has let slip through their fingers.

He even said Memorial was the better team tonight, which they were.

But also I think it was obvious that VL left a couple TDs on the field. They really didn’t have trouble moving the ball all night on the Memorial D  

I was very surprised that VL didn’t score on the pick in the 3rd Quarter. Heck, it was 1st and goal after a couple of plays after the INT. And the missed FG drive too, since VL was driving the ball well. The sideline was visibly upset after the 4th and Goal call. Vincennes made a lot of mistakes in the game last night, same with Memorial, but overcame them in the 2H. Pretty sure both teams had 11+ penalties throughout the game too.

6 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Just watched it, Salters was heated 

Complaining about the refs:  “That crew was terrible.  Every time we play Memorial it’s….Mr. Hurley.”

That’s pretty low-rent there, Coach.  I’m surprised he said that publicly.

Edited by MHSTigerFan

On 10/8/2022 at 9:39 AM, MHSTigerFan said:

It looks like a TD to me.  But maybe they said his foot touched the sideline before he reached for the pylon?

You can’t see from that video if he did or not.  But I guess it’s possible.

Does it matter if the ball crosses over the sideline in the air before crossing the goal line planet?  Good question for @Bobref

Does it matter if the ball crosses over the sideline in the air before crossing the goal line plane?

The answer, of course, is “it depends.” If the runner is grounded, as long as he crosses the plane inside the pylon the goal line extends, and the ball can be outside the pylon. The plane extends through the sideline. If the runner is airborne, however, the ball has to pass inside (or over) the pylon for the TD. Otherwise, it’s out of bounds where the ball crosses the plane of the sideline.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Does it matter if the ball crosses over the sideline in the air before crossing the goal line plane?

The answer, of course, is “it depends.” If the runner is grounded, as long as he crosses the plane inside the pylon the goal line extends, and the ball can be outside the pylon. The plane extends through the sideline. If the runner is airborne, however, the ball has to pass inside (or over) the pylon for the TD. Otherwise, it’s out of bounds where the ball crosses the plane of the sideline.

I bolded and underlined the portion of your answer that pertains to this situation. Had someone send me these screen shots from the video clip from twitter. Based on your explanation, and by this picture, should’ve been a TD. And again, why some frustration is probably warranted from Coach Salters. 

What would that have made the score at the time? Obviously would be a momentum shift either direction based on the call, either a TD or 4th down stop. 

Not surprised by the answers from the Memorial faithful though, I wouldn’t want to admit it was a blatant missed call that went in my favor either. 

A130DBB4-82F1-40E6-B85E-D089AB0A91A8.jpeg

B3B9BBB0-9AF9-464A-BF6A-962A5F3FB1EE.jpeg

And with that, it’s on to rivalry week!

Edited by FootballFan2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Thank you for the explanation, Bob.  I knew I could count on you!

I never knew that the runner being grounded or airborne makes such a critical difference.

1 minute ago, FootballFan2000 said:

I bolded and underlined the portion of your answer that pertains to this situation. Had someone send me these screen shots from the video clip from twitter. Based on your explanation, and by this picture, should’ve been a TD. And again, why some frustration is probably warranted from Coach Salters. 

What would that have made the score at the time? Obviously would be a momentum shift either direction based on the call, either a TD or 4th down stop. 

Not surprised by the answers from the Memorial faithful though, I wouldn’t want to admit it was a blatant missed call that went in my favor either. 

Would like to see a Memorial sideline video of this, but I’m looking at a TD right now. I believe the call on the field said he stepped out on the 2 when he lunged forward

3 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

Man, if you can make that call from 2 still pics, we need to sign you up and get you a whistle!  Unfortunately, there’s no official at the pylon where we’d like to have one. Where was the ball snapped from and what type of play was it?

• Like 2

Just now, Bobref said:

Man, if you can make that call from 2 still pics, we need to sign you up and get you a whistle!  Unfortunately, there’s no official at the pylon where we’d like to have one. Where was the ball snapped from and what type of play was it?

QB sweep. D strung out the play and he was close to sideline when he dove. The pics would have been after the player was allegedly OOB. 

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

here is clip of the play you can slow down and try to see. Great effort all around. I LOVE OFFICIALS! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerFan20 said:

I think it’s time for a sky cam in HS football!

Yes! Sky cam and instant replay reviews! 

(I'm kidding of course about the second part)

too bad this wasn’t 5 years ago, we wouldn’t have people behind the end zone posting clips online causing all this drama! 

Edited by FootballFan2000

10 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Ball was snapped at the 5

Then there should have been an official planted at the goal line when the play got there. Goal line mechanics require the wing official on that sideline to move from the 5 directly to the goal line as soon as the ball is snapped.

11 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

here is clip of the play you can slow down and try to see. Great effort all around. I LOVE OFFICIALS! 

Error in goal line mechanics by that wing official makes it easy to dispute the call. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

21 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Then there should have been an official planted at the goal line when the play got there. Goal line mechanics require the wing official on that sideline to move from the 5 directly to the goal line as soon as the ball is snapped.

Error in goal line mechanics by that wing official makes it easy to dispute the call. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

This is from the C&P Article:

On fourth-and-goal, Vincennes quarterback Xander Hunt — who Memorial coach John Hurley said he's “not too sure he’s not the most athletic kid in our conference" — dove for the end zone, knocking over the pylon on the goal line. But he was ruled out. The officials appeared to have said his diving attempt was out of play, which is what Hurley thought before the referees indicated the call.

47 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

The two pieces of info we can glean from those pictures are that (a) Hunt did go airborne, and (b) the ball hit the pylon from the inside.

But we don’t know whether or not his foot touched the sideline or if the ball crossed the sideline plane before doing so.  If it did, it was down at that point.

Edited by MHSTigerFan