Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp’s Big Ten Rankings After Week 5

temptation

On 10/2/2022 at 12:08 PM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Purdue, if they can win back to back weeks at Wisconsin and home vs Iowa, those are their biggest games 

Please no. I'll gladly take the easy schedule and a padded record if Purdue can continue to win. I don't want to see an embarrassing loss to Ohio State or Michigan in the Big Ten Title. 

13 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Please no. I'll gladly take the easy schedule and a padded record if Purdue can continue to win. I don't want to see an embarrassing loss to Ohio State or Michigan in the Big Ten Title. 

Just stop.  Purdue would kill to be in that game.

16 hours ago, temptation said:

Just stop.  Purdue would kill to be in that game.

Of course they woudl, but it would be a very unpleasant game to watch. I can't imagine, presumably Michigan or Ohio State with a CFP berth on the line, letting this Purdue team hang in the game very long. I would guess the opening line would be around -17.5 and could hit 20 if it was Ohio State in the game.

On 10/2/2022 at 6:19 AM, temptation said:

This is shaping up to be a historically bad year for the Big Ten.

Who wants to win the west?

1. Ohio State
  2. Michigan
  3. Penn State
  4. Maryland
  5. Purdue
  6. Minnesota
  7. Iowa
  8. Illinois
  9. Michigan State
  10. Rutgers
  11. Wisconsin
  12. Nebraska
  13. Indiana
  14. Northwestern 

Tough to argue with this. I might put Illinois ahead of Iowa but that's my only nitpick.

Really tough year for the B10 top to bottom. 

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Nice job...I was debating Purdue vs Maryland ranking.  Purdue fans have to be in some angst as to the 2 losses that got away.

The Boilers beating Minnesota was huge this past weekend....puts them in the drivers seat for winning the Big 10 West....

Definately enjoyed that W after the way they lost to Penn State and Syracuse. The 'Cuse was the worst for me. Can't give up 30 yards in penalties after you score the assumed game winning TD! It could be worse. At least I'm not one of the boosters who committed $95M to Mel Tucker, lol.

I respect what PJ Fleck has done in Minnesota; however, his Row The Boat schtick and reading children's books to his team just really annoys me for some reason.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Nice job...I was debating Purdue vs Maryland ranking.  Purdue fans have to be in some angst as to the 2 losses that got away.

The Boilers beating Minnesota was huge this past weekend....puts them in the drivers seat for winning the Big 10 West....

They’d be in firm control if they hadn’t blown that PSU game.

9 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Since I don't want to reply to myself anymore, I'll add a post: winning a league, even it's just a division, creates a buzz for recruits.    Just don't blow out a knee or anything else very severe against Ohio State or Michigan!

Good points. I'm just expecting it would be very painful to watch as a Purdue fan. Oh well, need to take the cup is a half full approach and just be happy to be there. My wife is always telling me I'm too pessimistic.

34 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Good points. I'm just expecting it would be very painful to watch as a Purdue fan. Oh well, need to take the cup is a half full approach and just be happy to be there. My wife is always telling me I'm too pessimistic.

After last year's debacle in Columbus, I concur.  Then again, Michigan or Penn State could easily win the East as we have a score to settle with PSU while Harbaugh can't whine that the locker rooms aren't air conditioned.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:08 AM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Purdue, if they can win back to back weeks at Wisconsin and home vs Iowa, those are their biggest games 

It’s going to be awfully tough now that Jim Leonard is the coach. 

he was the best kept secret in college football and nfl teams have been trying to poach him for years.  Have to imagine he will have the badgers playing back at their usual level.  Purdue probably needs their A game 

11 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

It’s going to be awfully tough now that Jim Leonard is the coach. 

he was the best kept secret in college football and nfl teams have been trying to poach him for years.  Have to imagine he will have the badgers playing back at their usual level.  Purdue probably needs their A game 

I agree and have heard this for years now but didn’t his D just let Illinois run up and down the field on them?

Just playing devil’s advocate here as I know Illinois is improved but they couldn’t solve IU’s defense just four weeks ago.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I agree and have heard this for years now but didn’t his D just let Illinois run up and down the field on them?

Just playing devil’s advocate here as I know Illinois is improved but they couldn’t solve IU’s defense just four weeks ago.

And the ultra underachieving Mertz is still the QB. I am definately curious to see what kind of an impact Leonard could actually make this year as the CEO of the program. His auditition may be more about how he conducts himself as the CEO and less about on field success the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Game got away from Wisconsin in the second half, but I'm not sure you can entirely fault the Leonhard and the defense. Illinois only have 300 yards of total offense which doesn't suggest the beat down at hand, but when you factor in that Wisconsin only had 200 yards of offense, multiple 3 and outs, and 3 turnovers, two of which happened at their own end of the field, you can see how the defense was put in a bad spot over and over again. 

19 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Game got away from Wisconsin in the second half, but I'm not sure you can entirely fault the Leonhard and the defense. Illinois only have 300 yards of total offense which doesn't suggest the beat down at hand, but when you factor in that Wisconsin only had 200 yards of offense, multiple 3 and outs, and 3 turnovers, two of which happened at their own end of the field, you can see how the defense was put in a bad spot over and over again. 

That I can see.  Great point.

Just feel like most successful head coaches these days are known for their offensive innovation/genius.  I could be wrong there however.

Being a successful DC has never been harder in the sport in my opinion.

Edited by temptation

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

That I can see.  Great point.

Just feel like most successful head coaches these days are known for their offensive innovation/genius.  I could be wrong there however.

Being a successful DC has never been harder in the sport in my opinion.

Leonhard will be a breath of fresh air from Chryst. Young, fiery and animated demeanor which is complete opposite from Chryst. Wisconsin recruiting has been down these last two classes. Young coach should help in that department.

Does need to hire an innovative OC. Wisconsin doesn't need to change everything about their brand, but it does need a facelift. Running the ball 40-50 times a game isn't going to attract elite skill position athletes. If I'm Leonhard/Wisconsin, I break the bank to get Brian Hartline and making him offensive coordinator. 

55 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Leonhard will be a breath of fresh air from Chryst. Young, fiery and animated demeanor which is complete opposite from Chryst. Wisconsin recruiting has been down these last two classes. Young coach should help in that department.

Does need to hire an innovative OC. Wisconsin doesn't need to change everything about their brand, but it does need a facelift. Running the ball 40-50 times a game isn't going to attract elite skill position athletes. If I'm Leonhard/Wisconsin, I break the bank to get Brian Hartline and making him offensive coordinator. 

Iowa agrees.