Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

8th week for the N.I.C.

I’ve been on here since I was 19 or so, some years there is a lot of good debate, other years not so much. 

I am 41 now, I’m older and more cantankerous. Don’t like the things I see from my alma mater. I feel like they are just going through the motions and aren’t thriving for more. This isn’t necessarily the football team but all sports. 

Stepping back a bit further, as a region I think we continue to fall behind the rest of the state and the gap grows larger every year. 

7 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Maybe a Big conference game between Penn and NP is a reminder of just how far we've fallen . 

and you guys have lost 2 of the past 3 of those "big conference games between Penn and NP". I kid I kid, looking forward to a good high school football game and hopefully the Cougs come to play and make it a game in Granger tomorrow night. 

27 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

and you guys have lost 2 of the past 3 of those "big conference games between Penn and NP". I kid I kid, looking forward to a good high school football game and hopefully the Cougs come to play and make it a game in Granger tomorrow night. 

Exactly what I’m talking about. 

2 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

And it wasn't intended to be a knock on NP .but more of a knock on Penn and how far they have slipped . Let's be honest , prior to 2015 going back some 30 years , Penn would easily beat NP 9 out of every 10 games . Going back over 30 years , NP has a losing record against Laporte . Laporte has always been either the bottom feeder or mid pack in the DAC . Penn owned the Top DAC teams for the better part of 30 years ,  I bet the DAC might have 6-7 wins from 1985-2015 . So talking about big conference games and losses to NP shows just how far Penn has slipped . 

3 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

And it wasn't intended to be a knock on NP .but more of a knock on Penn and how far they have slipped . Let's be honest , prior to 2015 going back some 30 years , Penn would easily beat NP 9 out of every 10 games . Going back over 30 years , NP has a losing record against Laporte . Laporte has always been either the bottom feeder or mid pack in the DAC . Penn owned the Top DAC teams for the better part of 30 years ,  I bet the DAC might have 6-7 wins from 1985-2015 . So talking about big conference games and losses to NP shows just how far Penn has slipped . 

It seems like many northern Indiana teams have slipped in the last 10-15 years.  Lets see what happens the rest of this year.  We might all be singing "Song of the South" by Alabama.

12 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

FYI , there is no high school in Granger. 

7 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Having seen both NP and Penn they both have weapons.  I think Penn hits harder on defense especially a couple of their linebackers.  I could see this game going either way.  Penn may have more offensive weapons

NP has quite a few weapons on offense, it’s whether or not they choose to utilize them. One of my biggest criticisms of this team is that a lot of times they are fine with just using 1 or 2 guys when they have multiple others that are just as effective if not better in some situations.

28 minutes ago, Rocket said:

NP has quite a few weapons on offense, it’s whether or not they choose to utilize them. One of my biggest criticisms of this team is that a lot of times they are fine with just using 1 or 2 guys when they have multiple others that are just as effective if not better in some situations.

When you play good teams many times it is the unexpected that help carry the team on if their key components were shut down.  It will be very interesting tonight

18 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

When you play good teams many times it is the unexpected that help carry the team on if their key components were shut down.  It will be very interesting tonight

Couldn’t agree more. I’d be very surprised if the Cougars come out and play their “normal “ style tonight 

27 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

I would imagine Penn would focus on the QB and RB  May boil down to how NP handles the Penn D

Penns front 7 on D is really tough, even the really good teams had issues with that. And Penn brings a large OL, and a QB who looks like he can catch a D sleeping and make some greats throws. I'm not sure it will be as close as people think. Wish we could get to see this one.

2 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

I would imagine Penn would focus on the QB and RB  May boil down to how NP handles the Penn D

As Rocket said NP has a lot of weapons that could score a TD in many ways. Unfortunately NP either only utilizes a few of them, doesn't play them all together, or not creative enough to get it to their playmakers multiple ways. If Penn has a front 7 that is tough that could spell doom for the cougars; not because NP doesn't have the athletes to adjust but they just simply won't adjust to keep the D honest.  First play of the game for NP will be a Mungia run off a guard for a 1 yard gain, it is every game...

8 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Just as I thought, game was closer than the last two at freed field. Road doesn’t get easier for NP with Elkhart looming. 

Yup, kinda what I was thinking going into it too. Penn wins 9 out of 10 times this year against the cougars. Frustrating game to watch on the NP side. granted some NP receivers dropped a few balls that would of been big gains. NP still refuses to do anything out of the box to try to trick, slowdown, or just get the defense guessing what's coming. it's been 3 years since we've seen a counter, screen, hard snap to get the defense to jump, or anything. Just follow the pulling tackle and you'll find the ball (which penns back side D end made about 5 plays from behind because the play is too slow to develop). I knew we weren't winning that game when NP got the ball down 14-0 with 4 minutes to go till the half and was completely content just running out the clock instead of trying to score. Congrats to Penn for the NIC crown. 

38 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

Yup, kinda what I was thinking going into it too. Penn wins 9 out of 10 times this year against the cougars. Frustrating game to watch on the NP side. granted some NP receivers dropped a few balls that would of been big gains. NP still refuses to do anything out of the box to try to trick, slowdown, or just get the defense guessing what's coming. it's been 3 years since we've seen a counter, screen, hard snap to get the defense to jump, or anything. Just follow the pulling tackle and you'll find the ball (which penns back side D end made about 5 plays from behind because the play is too slow to develop). I knew we weren't winning that game when NP got the ball down 14-0 with 4 minutes to go till the half and was completely content just running out the clock instead of trying to score. Congrats to Penn for the NIC crown. 

These last two games for NP will only make them better for a deep 4A playoff run. However , I don’t see anyone beating New Palestine/Roncalli  in 4A.