Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Penn vs Carroll

Arguably the most intriguing first round game state wide. It's ok to start this thread early since both teams will win their Week 9 games and rest their starters in the second half. Penn is on an upswing this year and is looking like what a Penn team is supposed to look like. Unfortunately they drew a Carroll team that appears to be on a mission. I've got the Kingsman bowing out in the first round, but Carroll will have to give them their best shot on the road. Anything less and the Chargers will be cleaning their lockers. Coach Dinan knows this. He was coaching at Snider in 2003 when the 12-1 Panthers took the trip to Freed Field and got waxed 62-27. 

18 minutes ago, BTF said:

Arguably the most intriguing first round game state wide. It's ok to start this thread early since both teams will win their Week 9 games and rest their starters in the second half. Penn is on an upswing this year and is looking like what a Penn team is supposed to look like. Unfortunately they drew a Carroll team that appears to be on a mission. I've got the Kingsman bowing out in the first round, but Carroll will have to give them their best shot on the road. Anything less and the Chargers will be cleaning their lockers. Coach Dinan knows this. He was coaching at Snider in 2003 when the 12-1 Panthers took the trip to Freed Field and got waxed 62-27. 

I am going with Brownsburg @ Ben Davis.  

I honestly can't see a Carroll team that is dealing with a 'traditional' offensive scheme losing this contest.  Now the 2nd Round (perhaps against Warsaw at Gorsuch?....that's a different story).  

Sectional #1 - Crown Point..is my choice. 

Sectional #3 has Fishers v. HSE written all over it. 

Sectional # 4 - Carmel/Westfield pick em

10 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I am going with Brownsburg @ Ben Davis.  

I honestly can't see a Carroll team that is dealing with a 'traditional' offensive scheme losing this contest.  Now the 2nd Round (perhaps against Warsaw at Gorsuch?....that's a different story).  

Sectional #1 - Crown Point..is my choice. 

Sectional #3 has Fishers v. HSE written all over it. 

Sectional # 4 - Carmel/Westfield pick em

Ben Davis/Brownsburg was the other game that caught my attention.

HSE and Fishers drew a favorable road to the sectional championship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I don't think so , you have to win to move on . Does it really matter if it's the first or second round ?

It matters plenty to a number of different constituencies. But most importantly, it’s better for High School Football in general — a constituency that no one seems to take into account.

19 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It matters plenty to a number of different constituencies. But most importantly, it’s better for High School Football in general — a constituency that no one seems to take into account.

I guess I just don't see the difference if this game is week one or week two . The best team is going to win the Sectional , why does it matter which week this happens ? Both teams will play just as hard trying to move on , as they would if it was the Sectional Championship . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

I really think Carroll will beat Penn by 10-14 points…

Could be true. I don't see Carroll scoring more than 28 points on Penn's defense , unless they have a D1 QB and receiver like Cathedral . That means Carroll's D would have to hold Penn to 14-17 points . This is possible as I still think Penn's Offense is to predictable. Should be a great game regardless . 

5 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Could be true. I don't see Carroll scoring more than 28 points on Penn's defense , unless they have a D1 QB and receiver like Cathedral . That means Carroll's D would have to hold Penn to 14-17 points . This is possible as I still think Penn's Offense is to predictable. Should be a great game regardless . 

I respect your opinion and I have always had great respect for the Penn program. May the best team win and stay healthy!!!

3 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

The feeling is mutual. Long history between Penn and Snider , maybe Carroll will become our new Rival from the Fort .  

Where was Penn when open dates came to fruition for the SAC? I have a hard time believing that Snider didn't reach out to them. I'm just speculating. 

37 minutes ago, BTF said:

Where was Penn when open dates came to fruition for the SAC? I have a hard time believing that Snider didn't reach out to them. I'm just speculating. 

Don't think Penn will ever give up that first game with Valpo , been that way for 20 years . As for other non conference games ,With the exception of Cathedral , they have been scheduling out of state teams (Michigan , Ohio)

49 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Don't think Penn will ever give up that first game with Valpo , been that way for 20 years . As for other non conference games ,With the exception of Cathedral , they have been scheduling out of state teams (Michigan , Ohio)

Who would put more fans in the stands? An out of state team or Snider?

26 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Well Snider of course . We did play Snider in the regular season for a few years11,12,13 and14 , don't know what happened after that . 

Snider picked up Penn after Elmhurst and Harding shut down. Then the SAC picked up Homestead and Carroll in 2015. So before 2011 and after 2014, the SAC was an island conference. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I am pretty sure it was a "scheduling" thing.  Penn had contracts that overlapped the SAC's transition period from a closed conference to the 2 open weeks starting in 2023.  

So it was on Snider to get teams set up.  They went with Warren Central as one of the new match-ups, not sure about the other.  I know the 1st Warren Central matchup will be at LOS next year.  The 2nd will be on a Saturday at Spuller Stadium in 2024.  

8 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I am pretty sure it was a "scheduling" thing.  Penn had contracts that overlapped the SAC's transition period from a closed conference to the 2 open weeks starting in 2023.  

So it was on Snider to get teams set up.  They went with Warren Central as one of the new match-ups, not sure about the other.  I know the 1st Warren Central matchup will be at LOS next year.  The 2nd will be on a Saturday at Spuller Stadium in 2024.  

Thanks for the heads up on Snider/Penn. I would have been shocked if the two teams didn't at least look into it. 

Snider signed a four year deal with East Noble. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

I am a little shocked that Snider signed a 4 year deal with East Noble…

You're not the only one. At the minimum I thought they would pick up a 5A school. But that's coming from a fan with no inside ties to the program. They have a quality coaching staff. Maybe there is a method to their madness. 

• Like 1

They (Snider) also have at least a 2 year deal with Warsaw in the 2025 and 2026 seasons.

I am excited for this game though. I think Carroll is somehow even better than they were last year, and the Kingsmen are getting very little respect outside the Michiana area. They're 6-2, with their 2 losses coming freaking Cathedral and St X! Those two teams ain't scrubs! And are far better opponents than anyone Carroll has faced this season. My hopes are high for a very good high school football game with this matchup! Penn's defense is the real deal and the Charger offense is lethal. Something has to give.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

They (Snider) also have at least a 2 year deal with Warsaw in the 2025 and 2026 seasons.

I am excited for this game though. I think Carroll is somehow even better than they were last year, and the Kingsmen are getting very little respect outside the Michiana area. They're 6-2, with their 2 losses coming freaking Cathedral and St X! Those two teams ain't scrubs! And are far better opponents than anyone Carroll has faced this season. My hopes are high for a very good high school football game with this matchup! Penn's defense is the real deal and the Charger offense is lethal. Something has to give.

That transcends the years that Snider/Penn would have been able to agree upon for extended contracts.

The discussion was Snider/Penn...not Penn vs. Cathedral/St. X.  

Penn and Snider, IMO would be far better off to the Indiana FB faithful to face off with one another than the games that are in place....Indy Cathedral withstanding.  

As for the game in Sectional #2 this season...This will/can say alot about Northern IN FB in playoffs.  I have a feeling that they/we are more formidable than most people are giving them for the tournament cycle.  

And as for Warsaw.... I am NOT EVEN GONNA get into saying anything turse about Coach Curtis.  Let's leave that alone, and accept that Warsaw is doing the things that will make the Tigers formidable (no matter the outcome) in the North!   

Edited by Yuccaguy