Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2022-23

Irishman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

12 years , 3 coaches , dozens of different players . Last night they looked like the same old IU Big Ten road performance. 1 step forward - 2 steps back it’s sad I want them to succeed I like Mike Woodson I get these are young college kids but as a fan it’s just so darn frustrating to watch it time and time again 

i realize the glory days are long gone and so do most rational fans . I just want a program that can consistently compete in the top half of the Big Ten . Win 21-25 games a year and be a solid presence in the NCAA tourney and who knows when a run can happen ? 

your roster is comprised of an All American , 2 5-star freshman and multiple seniors and you can’t win a road game against a team that is 0-3 in the Big Ten and lost to Eastern Illinois at home ? 

I know it’s early January BUT these next couple of games might decide to fate of the Hoosiers this season they could dig themselves a hole they won’t get out of like they almost did last year 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

For sure , however in college basketball and especially Indiana it’s a what have you done for me lately business. 

Rutgers has had your number the last couple of times you’ve met , last year after a massive win vs Purdue they got ran off their own home court by Michigan. 

I feel like Indiana under Mike Woodson has at times taken 1 step forward but then also taken 1 step backward ending right back up where you were .  Reality is this is a very big game Tuesday night . A win ties you for 2nd in the Big Ten and might solidify you as the only challenger to the Boilers in the Big 10 this year and set you down a course to be very comfortable on Selection Sunday 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:49 PM, Irishman said:

24-1 Keep it going Hoosiers!!!!

Teri Moren has built and absolute buzz saw in Bloomington . Also I don’t think you can overstate the importance of Sydney Parrish transferring back to IU , shows top instate recruits that Indiana is a desirable destination instead of being lured away by top programs like UCONN or Oregon 

though I will say seems like South Carolina is a totally different animal after beating #3 LSU by almost 30 points . We shall see come April hopefully 

• Like 2

As far as the Men’s go another big game tonight in Evanston . Not a must win from a NCAA tourney standpoint a must win for other reasons 

1) sole possession of 2nd in the Big Ten 

2)I don’t think PU runs away with the title and suddenly that match up in Mackey gets real interesting especially if Maryland can clip them on Thurs. 

3) road wins continue to show growth of your program and helps NCAA tourney seeding seeing IU as high as 3 seed . Should help avoid long flights and early round upset match ups . ( I want NOTHING to do with Oral Roberts and Max Abrams !) 

no matter what continues to be the most fun I’ve had watching the Hoosiers since 2016 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

Teri Moren has built and absolute buzz saw in Bloomington . Also I don’t think you can overstate the importance of Sydney Parrish transferring back to IU , shows top instate recruits that Indiana is a desirable destination instead of being lured away by top programs like UCONN or Oregon 

though I will say seems like South Carolina is a totally different animal after beating #3 LSU by almost 30 points . We shall see come April hopefully 

Unfortunately it seems like in women’s BB there is always a 600 gorilla, UT, UConn, and now SC. Best of luck to Coach Moren and the team. 

• Like 1

Tough one tonight for more reasons than 1 . The emotions will be high in that building tonight tough ask for any team to go in the Breslin center and win under normal circumstances.

2-2 in the last 4 will be fine with hopefully 1-2 wins in Chicago you never know ? should keep a favorable 4 or 5 seed in March . Just glad I can go into selection not sweating / excited for the first time since 2016. Enjoying this stretch run for sure ! 

• Like 1

Huge S/O to NW for blowing an 18 pt halftime lead now the Boilers have a chance to clinch vs IU Saturday probably not gonna be a fun road trip to WL for the Hoosiers . 

oh well you get the last 2 at home in very winnable games win 1 or 2 in the Big 10 tourney and your sitting at a solid 5 maybe sneak to a 4 seed on Selection Sunday and let’s go from there ! 

• Like 1

Great road win. Tough and gritty effort by the Hoosiers. The Boilers could not buy a bucket in the second half. Felt like they got away from going inside to Edey. With the foul trouble IU had, Purdue missed chances to get them out of the game. 
How about Jalen Hood Schifino though? Wow, what a great night. He seems to be getting better as the season goes, and making fewer mistakes. 

There is always a lot of talk about changing the narrative of the program . Things like can’t win on the road in the Big Ten , can’t advance in the Big a ten tourney etc etc . 

But this win was just totally different , to beat a top 5 Purdue team in road is not something that the program consistently did even at the peak of success (Woodson talking about how he never won in WL as a player) . The years IU had won in WL are usually years Purdue  is down ( 2013 ) . 

hands down this is a biggest IU regular season win since UK in 2012 . I know I should probably calibrate but I’m SO excited for March !!! 

• Like 1

And crashing back to earth they come......Granted though, nothing was stopping Iowa in this one. Seems they pick a few games a year to shoot like they have, and be average at best the rest of the season. That said, I really dislike this Iowa team....and their coach.....just seems to be a lack of class in all of them. The constant shit talking to fans is not needed. And McCaffery has always been a dick, so they seem to take after him. 

• Like 1

Many times this year where I’ve thought man , where would IU be if Xavier Johnson was healthy? Last night was one of them may have limited Perkins . Biggest issue lastnight was IU just flat didn’t have a wing athletic enough or a guard big enough to guard Murray . There was a lot on the line for IU to come out that flat , not that I’m surprised they got beat just played that horrible. Should be the last time the national media falls in love with them 

consistent guard play gets you deep in March and the only Big Team that has anything close to that IMO is Maryland with Jamir Young . Audgie and Bouie are close for NW but got exposed vs Maryland . 

Honestly won’t be surprised if not a single Big Ten team makes it past the Sweet 16 . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never put a lot of weight in doing well in the B1G tournament, but just have a feeling to get any momentum going into the NCAA tournament, the Hoosiers need a good showing in this one. Their tourney record is not good having only reached the final once.....in 2001, losing to Iowa. 

Solid win against kent State tonight, a scrappy team that plays hard....out of control at times, but they go 100 mph the whole 40 minutes. TJD really stepped up the 2nd half, and I cannot praise Race Thompson enough for doing a lot of the dirty work with offensive rebounds, diving for the ball. The question is can they play like that 2 games in a row? 

On 3/18/2023 at 1:13 AM, Irishman said:

Solid win against kent State tonight, a scrappy team that plays hard....out of control at times, but they go 100 mph the whole 40 minutes. TJD really stepped up the 2nd half, and I cannot praise Race Thompson enough for doing a lot of the dirty work with offensive rebounds, diving for the ball. The question is can they play like that 2 games in a row? 

Nope....That was actually pretty pathetic. Miami shot the lights out and IU's defense was lost all night. Why Jackson Davis is chasing and guarding around the 3 point line is beyond me. The lane was wide open all night for them. Several players for IU just never showed up. Galloway played a HORRIBLE game. Hood Schifino played like a freshmen. Frustrating end to a decent season. 

Well 48 hours Later times time for 2022-2023 Obit 

I think the season and program in general is described as 1 step forward and 1/2 step back. There is progress BUT given to what was expected in Bloomington this off season maybe a bit of a let down. I consider myself a rational IU fan I said I just want a program that can win 20 + games and make the NCAA tourney because you never know what can happened in March. Mike Woodson has delivered that BUT the half step back ? IU was ran off the floor in the NCAA tourney the last 2 years by teams they were arguably as talented if not more talented than. Post game comments from Coach saying he's never had a team he coached that the Offense went through a post player is interesting and telling. Without Jackson-Davis to hid behind anymore a massive retooling of IUs roster is coming that will have to be done primarily through player development and the transfer portal. The 2023 recruiting class for IU leaves a little to be desired even by Pre-Woodson standards. IU swung for the fence by beige more of a Player on the national stage, Cupps and Newton have bright futures at IU in the back court for the foreseeable future but that might take some time. So im gonna play with the roster. assuming JHS is 100 % gone and X. Johnson will be back.

X. Johnson - Starting PG and leader of team need to get some upperclassman maturity will have a good year 

T. Galloway - If he takes another step forward this year like last will continue to become a dynamic player on both ends 

M. Reneau - will be a dominate post player needs to be better on D and work to develop his range 

K. Banks - Showed flashes stole a lot of JGs min got a tighter leash at the end of the season needs to develop as a basketball player not an athlete 

Now we get hairy 

Tamar Bates - People forget that he had a kid this year. Going through your Freshman year knowing your about to be a dad , then your Sophomore year as a new dad is pressure I couldn't have handled as a 19 year old. But the way he continued to give himself the green light despite his struggles was tough to watch at times this year. Ultimately I think he chooses the the transfer portal and finds himself a nice home someplace a little smaller with less pressure. 

J. Geronimo - * transfer portal I just think injuries' held him back and he didn't develop the way we had hoped and he paid in playing time for it will seek playing tike elsewhere 

CJ Gunn - A coin flip for the Portal IMO might get mad that IU is activity going after more back court guys where we thinks he hasn't had the chance to prove himself? Woodson will tell him that he needs to change hos body and get stronger (very true) but i give it one more year in Bloomington next year will determine his fate.

Anthony Leal - He's more than just an Indiana kid he's a B-town kid. watching him on the sidelines makes me more than anything want to wake up and hear he's a lights out 3 point shooter who will get time next year. I'm just not sure that's going to be the case but transfer or stay i respect the hell out of the kid and would root for him in any jersey 

Logan Duncomb - Seemed to be trending in an upward direction prior to his sinus issue that turned into surgery that kept him out for basically the whole season ? More at play here ? Possibly Obvious need at the 5 Not sure I think portal for a fresh start. 

This Leaves IU will 3 Big time needs in the Portal: 

Lights out 3 pt Shooter who can handle themselves on the D end (ie Matt Roth, Nich Zeisloft) IU tied to Timberlake from Towson but so is everyone and their brother. Also interest in FLA SG not known as a 3 Pt shooter I'm worries it could develop into the Dexter Dennis Situation all over again on Social media NOT a good look.  

a stretch Athletic as hell 6-6-6'8 Wing who can score at all levels (Gonna be the hardest to find or get everyone wants that) 

A 5 who is not the focal point of the offense but does he's job as a Paint protector and a scorer in the Low post . 

It will be an interesting Spring and Summer in Bloomington 

• Like 1

Great summary/obit Easy....I agree with all you have stated. This is a critical off season for Woodson too. Next year will be the best gauge yet as to where the program actually is in its progress. I am curious too as far as any in State recruits if Purdue's epic fail, adding to their tournament history under Painter will have an impact/help IU. It may be a stretch because I honestly don't know how interested Woodson is in in State kids. 

• Like 1