Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Delta football

2 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Pre-season pick to make some noise in 3A after dropping down.  Good start including win over Columbia City.  Played Yorktown tough.  Then what happened?  Injuries?

Lots of injuries and a tough schedule. The HHC has some pretty good teams and coaches. New Pal, Mt. Vernon and Greenfield-Central have all been ranked this year. I believe Yorktown has, too.

Delta is also still really young. 

• Like 1

Delta has a lot of young talent. Freshman class was undefeated in middle school, sophomores lost 1 game (NewPal) and I believe the junior class only lost a couple. They do play a majority of the HHC in middle school. I also get it was middle school and stuff happens but there is talent coming!

9 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Honestly the only person I saw saying they could make noise in 3A was DT (rip)

Most likely one of the only schools that responded to his questionnaires he sent to coaches. He had a thread last year mentioning hottest junior linemen and failed to mention any of the high profile lineman at a certain south side Catholic school. When I called him out on it, he blamed the coach for not supporting his players and replying to a questionnaire that he emailed. That’s not “reporting”, that’s writing PR pieces for schools. 

• Thanks 1

Having seen Delta in person last week - their defense is legit good. It's easy to see how they beat a very good Columbia City team in Week 2. They're very aggressive and force you to do things you don't want to do. They slowed New Pal for a quarter and a half before the Dragons made some adjustments and got their running game going last week. Offensively, they're still a work in progress, but they have playmakers. Youth and injuries have slowed them a bit, but they will be a very tough out this week against a *very* good Yorktown team. 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:51 PM, scarab527 said:

Honestly the only person I saw saying they could make noise in 3A was DT (rip)

He wasn’t the only one. I think I had them on the preseason HM if not top 10 for 3A.  The digest also had them in the top 10 I believe.

If I recall, when I looked at them on maxpreps in July/august they had a few seniors and only a few juniors who heavily contributed.  Just off the top of my head I think they were returning like 18/19 starters this year and going into next they might have about 15? 

also the idea of a 4A school moving down to 3A would help them because they would be towards the top of 3A enrollment.

but….it looks like it didn’t work out so maybe next year when they have like ten 3 or 4 year starters lol 

46 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

He wasn’t the only one. I think I had them on the preseason HM if not top 10 for 3A.  The digest also had them in the top 10 I believe.

If I recall, when I looked at them on maxpreps in July/august they had a few seniors and only a few juniors who heavily contributed.  Just off the top of my head I think they were returning like 18/19 starters this year and going into next they might have about 15? 

also the idea of a 4A school moving down to 3A would help them because they would be towards the top of 3A enrollment.

but….it looks like it didn’t work out so maybe next year when they have like ten 3 or 4 year starters lol 

Their lineup last week was almost all sophomores and juniors. They are really young. 

24 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Their lineup last week was almost all sophomores and juniors. They are really young. 

It’s somewhat crazy to me that this is the case….like…how many of them started as freshman? And were the older classes ahead of them just small/not that good? 

off my head the last team I can recall who had this many young kids returning for multiple years was Tell City who was 1A at the time and really lacked numbers.  But delta is basically a 4A school 

regardless…I have to imagine they are going to turn the corner next year or something.  At the HS level, having an abundance of 3 year + starters is such an advantage.  It’s almost a threshold of where Experience/knowledge of a system > Talent

They returned a decent amount but also had a couple of dudes not play this year to focus on another sport. They were both starters I believe. But they will return a lot next and have a lot moving up. There is definitely talent making it’s way that has potential. With that being said I wouldn’t count this years team out…as crazy as it sounds they could win the sectional or lose Friday. They beat a good Columbia city team early on (their only lose). I think Delta is the mystery team of that sectional.

Another thing to note - they and Yorktown are, by a pretty significant amount, the two smallest schools in the Hoosier Heritage Conference. The only time Delta plays a team smaller than them in enrollment (during the regular season) is when it plays Yorktown ... and Yorktown *never* sees a school with a smaller enrollment during the regular season. 

What Yorktown has done this year has been impressive - they went 6-3 playing almost exclusively a 4A/5A schedule despite most of those schools being 1.5-2x their size. They had New Pal in a dogfight for a half (they were down 14-10 before NP drilled a 47-yard field goal at the halftime gun), beat Greenfield-Central and led Mt. Vernon at halftime before running out of gas. 

Delta looks like a team that's a year away but has a lot of talent and a very aggressive, sound, physical defense with some playmakers. Manor is a real stud at MLB/WR and I really like their WR Edwards. 

Their matchup this Friday should be very good - Yorktown won 35-21 in the regular season but rivalry games are always wild cards. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 8:44 AM, crimsonace1 said:

Another thing to note - they and Yorktown are, by a pretty significant amount, the two smallest schools in the Hoosier Heritage Conference. The only time Delta plays a team smaller than them in enrollment (during the regular season) is when it plays Yorktown ... and Yorktown *never* sees a school with a smaller enrollment during the regular season. 

What Yorktown has done this year has been impressive - they went 6-3 playing almost exclusively a 4A/5A schedule despite most of those schools being 1.5-2x their size. They had New Pal in a dogfight for a half (they were down 14-10 before NP drilled a 47-yard field goal at the halftime gun), beat Greenfield-Central and led Mt. Vernon at halftime before running out of gas. 

Delta looks like a team that's a year away but has a lot of talent and a very aggressive, sound, physical defense with some playmakers. Manor is a real stud at MLB/WR and I really like their WR Edwards. 

Their matchup this Friday should be very good - Yorktown won 35-21 in the regular season but rivalry games are always wild cards. 

I expected Yorktown to roll through first two rounds but they seem to have struggled last two weeks?  22-13 over Garrett?