Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Two a days Fall 2019

The short answer is no. With the advent of spring football and the time you get during the summer, you certainly don't NEED 2-a-days. Even with 2-a-days the restrictions are such that they aren't anything close to what they used to be when I was in school....and I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

With most schools returning to school August 12 or earlier, there is the potential for one - maybe two - of these practice days according to IHSAA restrictions.  Long gone are the days where one would show up at 7 in the morning and leave at dusk.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, HanShotFirst said:

With most schools returning to school August 12 or earlier, there is the potential for one - maybe two - of these practice days according to IHSAA restrictions.  Long gone are the days where one would show up at 7 in the morning and leave at dusk.

We have teacher work days on Aug 5th and 6th then students report to school on Aug 7th. No chance to even have two practices a day with the new rules unless we went at 5:30 AM. 

• Haha 1

I'm pretty old school.  I loved the old 2 a day 3 hour practices (haha).  With all the things we can do now who needs them.  We, Twin Lakes, practice once a day for 2 hours, maybe 2.5 on some days, but it's short, sweet, and to the point.  I find myself getting more accomplished in technique time than ever because everything else is already in.  I truly like how we run practices now.  Kids enjoy and are fresh.  Coaches are fresh.  Planning is easier.  There is no wasted time in practice as something is always being accomplished.  But I would not trade the past for anything.  It was a great learning time.  My only complaint is that kids just don't get the time to be kids anymore.  

• Like 4

Agree that the way things are done now, traditional 2-a-days really aren't needed.  The "2-a-days" my sons had were 7am-noon, the first full 3 weeks in August.  When I found out what all they accomplished, it was just as much as when I played in the 80's and was there from 7am to 5pm or thereabouts.  They have got time management down pretty well these days and are good at figuring out what to focus on.  I also think the limited full pad contact time is a factor here.  Back in the day we went helmets only the first 3 days and after that it was full-on smashmouth time the entire day.  Once the pads were on we were taking each other to the ground all day every day. 

Edited by Bonecrusher