Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wabash River Conference Sectional Thread

On 10/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, 94 said:

Will Parke Heritage be better next year?

No.   Not unless Coach Bettis returns to the sidelines.    

In all seriousness, if the conference is truly the worst that it’s been in many years, it’s going to be a rough few years for any varsity team that won a single game in 2022 and doesn’t have much talent in the JH level.   

32 minutes ago, KAllen said:

No.   Not unless Coach Bettis returns to the sidelines.    

In all seriousness, if the conference is truly the worst that it’s been in many years, it’s going to be a rough few years for any varsity team that won a single game in 2022 and doesn’t have much talent in the JH level.   

I know you’re taking a shot at PH, but you are smart enough to know the conference is down more than it’s ever been in my time watching it. If we are taking shots, what’s your record without Hazzard? 

1 hour ago, BillyBettis said:

I know you’re taking a shot at PH, but you are smart enough to know the conference is down more than it’s ever been in my time watching it. If we are taking shots, what’s your record without Hazzard? 

A lot of bickering going on here.  While I would agree that the WRC was very weak this season outside of a few teams, I don’t think that’s a fair question.  RP does have Hazzard and he was 1 of the best football players in the conference this year.  The what if game can be played in a lot of scenarios.  What if Parke Heritage didn’t have all of the transfers last year?  Do they still win the conference and the sectional with their own kids?  I would’ve liked to see that play out because their track record in previous years with more talent than anyone else was not overwhelmingly good to say the least.  What if the Johnson kid stays at Parke Heritage this year?  Do the Wolves become at least a .500 team?  What if Snedeker plays for Seeger?  Do they beat everyone even worse than they did?  The teams were what the teams were this year and in years past.  I still think RP has a great opportunity tonight to prove they belong in the discussion as 1 of the big dogs in the WRC.  But they too have only won 1 game against a team with a winning record.  If they can’t compete tonight, then I question what they look like going forward.  Other than the WRC will be just as weak next year!  

26 minutes ago, WRCWarden said:

A lot of bickering going on here.  While I would agree that the WRC was very weak this season outside of a few teams, I don’t think that’s a fair question.  RP does have Hazzard and he was 1 of the best football players in the conference this year.  The what if game can be played in a lot of scenarios.  What if Parke Heritage didn’t have all of the transfers last year?  Do they still win the conference and the sectional with their own kids?  I would’ve liked to see that play out because their track record in previous years with more talent than anyone else was not overwhelmingly good to say the least.  What if the Johnson kid stays at Parke Heritage this year?  Do the Wolves become at least a .500 team?  What if Snedeker plays for Seeger?  Do they beat everyone even worse than they did?  The teams were what the teams were this year and in years past.  I still think RP has a great opportunity tonight to prove they belong in the discussion as 1 of the big dogs in the WRC.  But they too have only won 1 game against a team with a winning record.  If they can’t compete tonight, then I question what they look like going forward.  Other than the WRC will be just as weak next year!  

-Kevin is my friend, we like to bicker. He’s an asshole, but I enjoy him! 

-Our best players were all from PH, we didn’t end the season but with 1 transfer  from a program point of view we would have been better without any transfers to be honest. Dumpster fire. I still feel we win the sectional and conference without anyone new  

-Hazzard was THE best player in the conference. 

-very happy for Brad. He deserves it, but like you said they haven’t won a game that they shouldn’t have yet. 

And then there were none. RP lost their stud early and never had a chance. NV went down early and never really recovered. FC moved the ball pretty good but just couldn’t score enough. I think it sux that 3 teams from Western Indiana are eliminated from the sectional by teams from the Indy area. Somebody really sux at geography at the IHSAA. These teams should at least meet in the regional round. I don’t see anyone beating Lutherans in the south. Adams Centrals should come out of the north 

12 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

And then there were none. RP lost their stud early and never had a chance. NV went down early and never really recovered. FC moved the ball pretty good but just couldn’t score enough. I think it sux that 3 teams from Western Indiana are eliminated from the sectional by teams from the Indy area. Somebody really sux at geography at the IHSAA. These teams should at least meet in the regional round. I don’t see anyone beating Lutherans in the south. Adams Centrals should come out of the north 

Agree, the IHSAA really screwed the WRC when it came to new sectional alignments.  By my count, the WRC went 6-16 outside of games vs WRC foes.  I am not sure I see anything any better next year.  When was the last time we had no WRC teams playing on sectional championship Friday?  Maybe that shows how weak the WRC was this year?  Or maybe that shows just how much of a screwing the WRC got from the IHSAA?  

15 minutes ago, WRCWarden said:

Agree, the IHSAA really screwed the WRC when it came to new sectional alignments.  By my count, the WRC went 6-16 outside of games vs WRC foes.  I am not sure I see anything any better next year.  When was the last time we had no WRC teams playing on sectional championship Friday?  Maybe that shows how weak the WRC was this year?  Or maybe that shows just how much of a screwing the WRC got from the IHSAA?  

Probably a combination of both but there wasn’t really a strong 1A team in the conference this year. 

This is the first season since John Harrell started compiling stats and team records (1994) that the WRC hasn’t had at least 1 team playing on sectional championship Friday.  The IHSAA really screwed the WRC teams with their newest sectional alignments.  Unfortunately, I could see this becoming the norm if sectionals stay the same way they are currently.  

4 hours ago, WRCWarden said:

This is the first season since John Harrell started compiling stats and team records (1994) that the WRC hasn’t had at least 1 team playing on sectional championship Friday.  The IHSAA really screwed the WRC teams with their newest sectional alignments.  Unfortunately, I could see this becoming the norm if sectionals stay the same way they are currently.  

Hopefully they take some geology classes before next realignment. I gotta go 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:53 PM, WRCWarden said:

Exactly how did they get screwed?  I would not want a sectional made up of conference opponents.  I think it was cool that Rochester got to play Seeger for the first time.  The travel sucked, but it was a great experience for the team, and it gave two teams a chance to match their conferences against each other.

• Like 3

I would say splitting teams through 2 sectionals in both 1A & 2A gave the WRC more opportunities to win a sectional.  I don't think that is screwing anyone, unless you put all 6 of the 1A schools together so 1 team has a better shot to win.  While I'm sure someone wanted to see Attica play Parke Heritage for the second time in a sectional game, I guess the IHSAA didn't want to see that happen.

Sectionals are supposed to be based all on geography in theory.  Look at the eight 1a sectionals and tell me there wasn’t some private school bias that was put into the alignment.  How can Lutheran, Covenant Christian, Park Tudor, and Traders Point not all be in the same football sectionals?  Seeger and South Vermillion are unfortunate outliers in WRC postseason football because they are bigger schools.  There is no reason for the six 1a WRC schools not to be in the same football sectionals.  Just like there is no reason for the four Indy private 1a schools not to be in the same sectionals.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

I would say splitting teams through 2 sectionals in both 1A & 2A gave the WRC more opportunities to win a sectional.  I don't think that is screwing anyone, unless you put all 6 of the 1A schools together so 1 team has a better shot to win.  While I'm sure someone wanted to see Attica play Parke Heritage for the second time in a sectional game, I guess the IHSAA didn't want to see that happen.

Mathematically and logically this is correct...

13 hours ago, WRCWarden said:

Sectionals are supposed to be based all on geography in theory.  Look at the eight 1a sectionals and tell me there wasn’t some private school bias that was put into the alignment.  How can Lutheran, Covenant Christian, Park Tudor, and Traders Point not all be in the same football sectionals?  Seeger and South Vermillion are unfortunate outliers in WRC postseason football because they are bigger schools.  There is no reason for the six 1a WRC schools not to be in the same football sectionals.  Just like there is no reason for the four Indy private 1a schools not to be in the same sectionals.  

The problem with this "geography hurt the WRC this year" argument ignores the fact that the IHSAA has always used geography. If memory serves correct, they start in one of the northern corners (for some reason I want to say the northwest) and group the Sectionals from there. This is why, for example, there have been years in the past where Sheridan has been in a southern Sectional. It's rare but it does happen, and probably would happen if you started dividing Sectional assignments anywhere but West Central Indiana. The issue is less the IHSAA and geography bit more appropriately the WRC and its geography. I don't know of another conference in the state that has such a relatively tight grouping of 1A schools outside of perhaps a metro area of some kind. That means that any time any of the conference schools end up in a different Sectional it seems odd and out of place, but in reality it's not. What seems to be advocated for here is more of a geographic "cluster" system, which I'm sorry, would be just as problematic as what we have now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

The problem with this "geography hurt the WRC this year" argument ignores the fact that the IHSAA has always used geography. If memory serves correct, they start in one of the northern corners (for some reason I want to say the northwest) and group the Sectionals from there. This is why, for example, there have been years in the past where Sheridan has been in a southern Sectional. It's rare but it does happen, and probably would happen if you started dividing Sectional assignments anywhere but West Central Indiana. The issue is less the IHSAA and geography bit more appropriately the WRC and its geography. I don't know of another conference in the state that has such a relatively tight grouping of 1A schools outside of perhaps a metro area of some kind. That means that any time any of the conference schools end up in a different Sectional it seems odd and out of place, but in reality it's not. What seems to be advocated for here is more of a geographic "cluster" system, which I'm sorry, would be just as problematic as what we have now. 

Great points.  Sheridan has been in semistates in both the north and south.  They have been in sectionals from the western to the eastern borders of the state.  You would think they would be in a sectional with fellow HHC schools, but it doesn't work that way every year.  The assignments also change as teams move in and out of 1A.  When LCC and Pioneer were moved up due to the success factor, someone had to be moved in to fill their spots in the northern sectionals.

You can satisfy some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:58 AM, 300Game said:

With all due respect, this is the first season that the sectional wasn't entirely composed of all WRC teams plus N. Central.

So, you have that.

Actually it’s not. But you’re kinda missing the point.

Stevie Wonders could probably read a map better than the guys that did this realignment, I swear to God he could. North teams going south, south going north. 
2nd and foremost with no teams playing tomorrow night proves what most already knew. The WRC is down this year and never had a team mentioned as a threat for a deep run. Several years ago with the teams split like they are now they could’ve had 2 sectional champs. FC, NV, Attica and the ode Rockville were always in or around the top 10. The 2 mega schools probably won’t have much of a chance in 2A. Hopefully in the next few years the WRC can be better than the current situation 

On 11/3/2022 at 5:16 PM, Donnie Baker said:

Actually it’s not. But you’re kinda missing the point.

Stevie Wonders could probably read a map better than the guys that did this realignment, I swear to God he could. North teams going south, south going north. 
2nd and foremost with no teams playing tomorrow night proves what most already knew. The WRC is down this year and never had a team mentioned as a threat for a deep run. Several years ago with the teams split like they are now they could’ve had 2 sectional champs. FC, NV, Attica and the ode Rockville were always in or around the top 10. The 2 mega schools probably won’t have much of a chance in 2A. Hopefully in the next few years the WRC can be better than the current situation 

I see the WRC being even worse next year.  No team with the exception of possibly South Vermillion will be better than they were this year.  Some may have better records, but only due to others being worse than they were this year.  

On 11/4/2022 at 11:14 PM, WRCWarden said:

I see the WRC being even worse next year.  No team with the exception of possibly South Vermillion will be better than they were this year.  Some may have better records, but only due to others being worse than they were this year.  

Translation # 1... There's no way SV can lose the title to Seeger, again. Right?

Translation #2... If RP finishes with a winning record and at the top part of the conference, again, the WRC is just trash. 

Edited by Bear54

2 hours ago, Bear54 said:

Translation # 1... There's no way SV can lose the title to Seeger, again. Right?

Translation #2... If RP finishes with a winning record and at the top part of the conference, again, the WRC is just trash. 

What a great way to describe a bunch of teenagers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

What a great way to describe a bunch of teenagers 

@Donnie Baker, Not my feelings. Just reading in between his lines. 

I've heard a lot of people saying how down the conference was. Maybe the talent is just shifting to other schools? As is the case with most 1A/2A conferences.

SV:  returns more than anyone else.  They will potentially be better than they were this year.  What does better mean for them?  Translation:  A WRC Championship.

Seeger:  returns some guys, but loses some key guys.  Have a good young group of kids coming up.  Translation:  they will not be better, but won’t be much worse than they were this year.  
RP:  returns some guys, but loses their franchise.  Let’s face it, they were a 1-man band.  Translation:  anywhere from 3-4, 4-3, 5-2 in the WRC.  
NV:  returns almost as much as anyone.  Loses a few key players.  Translation:  no worse than last year, but probably not a lot better either.  
FC:  returns a few, loses a few.  Numbers are an issue with them as is the defense.  Translation:  very similar to what they were this year.  
Covington:  loses A LOT.  Translation:  worse than this year.  
PH:  Don’t really know what they lose or return, but not sure it really matters.  The bottom totally dropped out for the Wolves.  Translation:  possibly 1 more win than this year.  
Attica:  it doesn’t matter.  Translation:  the doormat of the WRC as long as they continue to have a football team.  

If talent is shifting then we will surely see someone make a postseason run in the next few years correct?  I don’t see that happening.  I see the WRC teams competing well against each other, but not so much outside of the WRC.