Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp's 6A Bracket Analysis

Mentioned multiple times prior that there has never been this much excitement entering the 6A tournament since its inception early in the last decade.  You could make a case for multiple teams on the right night to make it all the way to Thanksgiving weekend should the chips fall correctly.  

The Favorites:  (Sorted Alphabetically)

Brownsburg - The Bulldogs ran roughshod through a tough HCC all fall and fell a couple of points short on the road at HSE last week failing in their bid to win the conference title and complete an undefeated season.  This program has been HERE before.  They need to show postseason success and this is their best chance yet.  Won't be easy with a road contest at neighborhood rival Ben Davis, who they defeated back in August.  The Bulldogs could roll all the way to Lucas Oil, or be sitting at home on Halloween weekend.

Cathedral - The Irish exercised their Center Grove demons in dramatic fashion in Greenwood last week, snapping the Trojans' 35 game in-state winning streak.  I think Cathedral is the most talented team in the state and they have been my 6A pick from week 1.  They can't afford to use last weekend's method of victory as a blueprint however.  Their lone loss was a high scoring thriller at Brownsburg early in the season and they may get a chance to avenge that loss in the regional.

Center Grove - All was well on the south side of Center Grove until the fourth quarter last week.  The Trojans are not accustomed to losing, especially on their home field.  Center Grove has the luxury of a fairly easy sectional where they should see little resistance.  Even though no coaching staff would admit it, they will likely have three weeks to prepare for a regional contest, a likely matchup with former conference rival Warren Central, who actually played them quite well in week 1.

Hamilton Southeastern - A few GID posters called their shot this summer and struck gold as the Royals became the class of the HCC and ran undefeated through a monstrous schedule.  They'll likely have to go through cross town rival Fishers in the sectional title game, more than likely on the road.  That game was an overtime thriller the first time around so nothing is guaranteed.  This has a real "2019-21 Brownsburg feel to it" as the Royals will be given the task of shedding the HCC postseason label of teams that fail to get over the hump.  Like Brownsburg, they could be hoisting the trophy at Lucas Oil, or sitting at home the first weekend in November.  

The Contenders:  (Sorted Alphabetically)

Ben Davis - The Giants hit the jackpot with a transfer quarterback from Brownsburg and rode it all the way to the MIC crown.  They will get a chance in the opening weekend of 6A play to avenge a loss to those same Bulldogs in which the QB did not play.  Should be a great game.

Carmel - The 'Hounds slipped up late against Warren before dominating a good LC team on senior night to regain momentum heading into the tournament.  They will get a hungry Westfield team in round 1 that is hungry to prove they belong in the 6A conversation after two consecutive semi-state crowns at the 5A level.

The Sleepers:  (Sorted Alphabetically)

Carroll (Fort Wayne) - Is it the same old story in 6A or can the Chargers take the next step?  Is it possible to be a "sleeper" at 9-0?

Crown Point - The Bulldogs are ahead of schedule in winning the Duneland and will replace Merrillville as northwest Indiana's "next great hope" to take down a central Indy squad en route to the state finals.

Fishers - As mentioned above, the Tigers played the now #1 team in the state to a 1 point overtime loss on the road and will likely get a chance to host HSE in the sectional title game in the rematch.  

Lawrence Central - Another program ahead of schedule.  Most thought they'd be better, but not this fast.  Cathedral won't be able to just show up and dispose of the Bears.

Penn - The Kingsmen played favorite Cathedral well on their homefield last month and 6A football, and football in Indiana in general is simply better when Penn is relevant.

Warren Central - Most puzzling team in the state.  Beats nationally ranked King and Carmel, gets blown out by Lawrence North/Lawrence Central.  Rumor has it they may debut a new quarterback in the tournament.

Westfield - The Shamrocks responded after consecutive losses mid-season to finish strong.  They have been a player at the 5A level and now get to prove they can hang with the big dogs.

Temp's Picks:

Sectional Champs:

Crown Point

Carroll (Fort Wayne)

Hamilton Southeastern

Westfield

Brownsburg

Cathedral

Warren Central 

Center Grove

Regional Champs:

Crown Point

Westfield

Cathedral 

Center Grove

Semi-State Champs:

Westfield

Cathedral

State Champion:  Cathedral

What say you?

Whoever comes out of 6A South will have definitely earned it. I know you're high on the Irish but their defense has been exposed in the two games they've played against worthy opponents. Beating Center Grove was a nice win and good momentum heading to the tournament, but Center Grove was the better team for all of the last 2-3 minutes of that game. I personally would be worried about a potential rematch. 

I think it's coin flip whoever comes out of the regional between sectional 3 and 4. I'm going to go with HSE. 

Temp,

You lost me with this statement.....

Carmel - The 'Hounds slipped up late against Warren before dominating a good LC team on senior night to regain momentum heading into the tournament.  They will get a hungry Westfield team in round 1 that is hungry to prove they belong in the 6A conversation after two consecutive semi-state crowns at the 5A level.

Westfield won consecutive 6A semi-state crowns, playing CG in the 6A state finals the last 2 years........not 5A

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Temp,

You lost me with this statement.....

Westfield won consecutive 6A semi-state crowns, playing CG in the 6A state finals the last 2 years........not 5A

Oops, good call.

I just want Cathedral to win 6A already

since the success factor was implemented, it’s been something everyone has been watching out for. 

i thought 2015 would have been the year coming off their 5 peat of state titles but it didn’t happen.  

this might be the year though and would make it a 3 peat 

47 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

I know Westfield has been in 6A for a bit but when did they actually move from 5A to 6A?    They used to have under 1,000 students right? 

Westfield is the second fastest growing area in the state behind Whiteland.

They have not hovered around 1000 students in over 20-25 years and I believe they made the jump from 5A to 6A in 2017 unless I am mistaken.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, temptation said:

Mentioned multiple times prior that there has never been this much excitement entering the 6A tournament since its inception early in the last decade.  You could make a case for multiple teams on the right night to make it all the way to Thanksgiving weekend should the chips fall correctly.  

The Favorites:  (Sorted Alphabetically)

Brownsburg - The Bulldogs ran roughshod through a tough HCC all fall and fell a couple of points short on the road at HSE last week failing in their bid to win the conference title and complete an undefeated season.  This program has been HERE before.  They need to show postseason success and this is their best chance yet.  Won't be easy with a road contest at neighborhood rival Ben Davis, who they defeated back in August.  The Bulldogs could roll all the way to Lucas Oil, or be sitting at home on Halloween weekend.

Cathedral - The Irish exercised their Center Grove demons in dramatic fashion in Greenwood last week, snapping the Trojans' 35 game in-state winning streak.  I think Cathedral is the most talented team in the state and they have been my 6A pick from week 1.  They can't afford to use last weekend's method of victory as a blueprint however.  Their lone loss was a high scoring thriller at Brownsburg early in the season and they may get a chance to avenge that loss in the regional.

Center Grove - All was well on the south side of Center Grove until the fourth quarter last week.  The Trojans are not accustomed to losing, especially on their home field.  Center Grove has the luxury of a fairly easy sectional where they should see little resistance.  Even though no coaching staff would admit it, they will likely have three weeks to prepare for a regional contest, a likely matchup with former conference rival Warren Central, who actually played them quite well in week 1.

Hamilton Southeastern - A few GID posters called their shot this summer and struck gold as the Royals became the class of the HCC and ran undefeated through a monstrous schedule.  They'll likely have to go through cross town rival Fishers in the sectional title game, more than likely on the road.  That game was an overtime thriller the first time around so nothing is guaranteed.  This has a real "2019-21 Brownsburg feel to it" as the Royals will be given the task of shedding the HCC postseason label of teams that fail to get over the hump.  Like Brownsburg, they could be hoisting the trophy at Lucas Oil, or sitting at home the first weekend in November.  

The Contenders:  (Sorted Alphabetically)

Ben Davis - The Giants hit the jackpot with a transfer quarterback from Brownsburg and rode it all the way to the MIC crown.  They will get a chance in the opening weekend of 6A play to avenge a loss to those same Bulldogs in which the QB did not play.  Should be a great game.

The Sleepers:  (Sorted Alphabetically)

Carroll (Fort Wayne) - Is it the same old story in 6A or can the Chargers take the next step?  Is it possible to be a "sleeper" at 9-0?

Crown Point - The Bulldogs are ahead of schedule in winning the Duneland and will replace Merrillville as northwest Indiana's "next great hope" to take down a central Indy squad en route to the state finals.

Fishers - As mentioned above, the Tigers played the now #1 team in the state to a 1 point overtime loss on the road and will likely get a chance to host HSE in the sectional title game in the rematch.  

Lawrence Central - Another program ahead of schedule.  Most thought they'd be better, but not this fast.  Cathedral won't be able to just show up and dispose of the Bears.

Penn - The Kingsmen played favorite Cathedral well on their homefield last month and 6A football, and football in Indiana in general is simply better when Penn is relevant.

Warren Central - Most puzzling team in the state.  Beats nationally ranked King and Carmel, gets blown out by Lawrence North/Lawrence Central.  Rumor has it they may debut a new quarterback in the tournament.

Westfield - The Shamrocks responded after consecutive losses mid-season to finish strong.  They have been a player at the 5A level and now get to prove they can hang with the big dogs.

Temp's Picks:

Sectional Champs:

Crown Point

Carroll (Fort Wayne)

Hamilton Southeastern

Westfield

Brownsburg

Cathedral

Warren Central 

Center Grove

Regional Champs:

Crown Point

Westfield

Cathedral 

Center Grove

Semi-State Champs:

Westfield

Cathedral

State Champion:  Cathedral

What say you?

I think Center Grove gets the Irish the second time around.  They had the 1st game put away but for a bad coaching decision then a blocked punt.

54 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

I think Center Grove gets the Irish the second time around.  They had the 1st game put away but for a bad coaching decision then a blocked punt.

Irish have Lawrence Central to worry about first, and to be honest if they have another 100+ yards penalties the rematch prob won't happen.

I do have faith that it will!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AW0352 said:

I know Westfield has been in 6A for a bit but when did they actually move from 5A to 6A?    They used to have under 1,000 students right? 

At one time, they had less than 1K, but that was about 25 years ago. Westfield has absolutely exploded in size. 

• Like 1

My Picks:

Sectional Champs:

Crown Point

Carroll

Hamilton SE

Carmel

Brownsburg

Cathedral

Warren Central

Center Grove

Regional Champs:

Carroll

Carmel

Cathedral

Center Grove

Semi-State Champs:

Carmel

Center Grove

State Champion:  Center Grove

The biggest storyline in the 6A tournament to me is:  Can a Hoosier Crossroads Conference team finally win a state championship in the largest classification for the first time since Fishers in 2010?  However, until I see one of those teams finally win class 6A, then I am going to give Center Grove, Carmel, Cathedral, and Ben Davis the benefit of the doubt over them.  I think there's a very strong chance the winner of the Center Grove-Cathedral rematch wins its third consecutive state title.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I kinda think they are bored with winning.

You could very well be correct. For the size of the school and the community, the crowd they've brought to the last few Snider games have been less than impressive. But I've noticed that across the board and the internet may have something to do with that. I remember back when Snider and Penn would bring 2500 fans to a game two hours away. That's just not the case anymore. I always felt Merrillville had a loyal fan base who travels well. If Merrillville were to travel to Snider or North Side this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought 1500 plus. 

48 minutes ago, MW1971 said:

Crown Point has had an historic regular season under Coach Craig Buzea and is completely overlooked and underappreciated in this central Indiana biased analysis.

Buzea and his staff have exceeded all expectations and in Year 2, have a football team that is capable of making a run all the way to the 6A title game.

With 6-5, 330LB Aiden Duerig and 6-5, 285LB Jackson Ruess anchoring a huge Bulldog OL, CP has bullied everyone this year in The Duneland Conference and will continue to do so in the post season tournament.

The Dawgs look a lot like the better teams in The HCC, specifically Zionsville over the past few seasons and HSE this year.  Big, aggressive, precise and error free . 

Central Indiana 6A football is down this year and without a dominant team like it has had in the past.  Crown Point's timing is perfect.

Damn, I thought taking them to the semi-state was giving them respect.

Noted.

1.  How can you claim it’s central Indiana bias when the results on the field over the last two decades speaks for itself?

2.  What evidence do you have that central Indiana 6A football is down? No dominant team but deeper than its ever been.

3.  Respect is earned and Merrillville’s performances over the last couple of years in the tournament have made it a steep hill for Crown Point.  

People are tired of hearing about it, they want to see it 

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MW1971 said:

Crown Point has had an historic regular season under Coach Craig Buzea and is completely overlooked and underappreciated in this central Indiana biased analysis.

Buzea and his staff have exceeded all expectations and in Year 2, have a football team that is capable of making a run all the way to the 6A title game.

With 6-5, 330LB Aiden Duerig and 6-5, 285LB Jackson Ruess anchoring a huge Bulldog OL, CP has bullied everyone this year in The Duneland Conference and will continue to do so in the post season tournament.

The Dawgs look a lot like the better teams in The HCC, specifically Zionsville over the past few seasons and HSE this year.  Big, aggressive, precise and error free . 

Central Indiana 6A football is down this year and without a dominant team like it has had in the past.  Crown Point's timing is perfect.

I agree that Crown Point is having one heck of a season, but the Indy bias is just and fair until a northern team proves otherwise. I'm pulling for Carroll, Penn, or Crown Point to prove the "Indy bias" wrong this year. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

I agree that Crown Point is having one heck of a season, but the Indy bias is just and fair until a northern team proves otherwise. I'm pulling for Carroll, Penn, or Crown Point to prove the "Indy bias" wrong this year. 

It’s not bias if it’s true.

Look, I absolutely detest the SEC and believe those teams are given the benefit of the doubt way too often but until the results on the field change you just have to expect it.

Edited by temptation