Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp's 3A Bracket Analysis

One of the more intriguing classes in my opinion.

The Favorites:  (Sorted alphabetically.)

Bishop Chatard - Not a typical Chatard outfit in my opinion but definitely good enough.  As usual, easily the most battle tested team in the class as they have played a brutal schedule which is why some look at the record and shrug.  No team the Trojans line up against in the tournament will be better than anyone they have seen thus far.

Gibson Southern - The demise of the Titans after their star quarterback moved on was greatly exaggerated.  No, you don't just replace a 4 star talent but I am a big believer in experience and GS has it.  They left the state and beat a much larger school in South Warren (KY) actually avenging a loss from 2021.  Then, returned to the state and took care of business in the PAC.

West Lafayette - Not tested since a week 1 win over Harrison, who is a good squad.  Should have little trouble, sorry Hanover Central in the sectional/regional round where the winner of sectional 28 likely awaits.

The Contenders:  (Sorted alphabetically.)

Lawenceburg - The Tigers obliterated a fairly easy schedule after a week 1 loss to a great East Central team that could very well win 4A.  Six consecutive shut out wins to close out the regular season and that success should continue through the sectional round before a solid opponent awaits in the regional.  Played last year's Gibson Southern team to a two point game so they have been deep before.

Norwell - The top team in 3A according to Sagarin but not as battle tested as a team like Chatard.  I admit that I may have overlooked this team as nothing stood out on their schedule.  Dropped a close one to a good Columbia City team last week and as I mentioned in another thread, they will likely get their chance to show they belong.

The Sleepers:  (Sorted alphabetically.)

Guerin Catholic - Like Chatard, don't let the record fool you.  These guys are more than capable of springing an upset or two and turning sectional 28 upside down.

Southridge - Under the radar squad with all of the good teams in southwest Indiana.  They played Gibson Southern closer than any other 3A team during the regular season.

Tri-West - Beat a good WeBo squad who they could likely see again.  

Western Boone - Never count this team out.  After a brief pause, the Stars are back and more than capable of putting the rest of 3A on notice.

Temp's Picks:

Sectional Champions:

West Lafayette

Knox

Norwell

Bishop Chatard

Western Boone

Gibson Southern

Lawrenceburg

Southridge

Regional Champions:

West Lafayette

Bishop Chatard

Gibson Southern

Southridge

Semi-State Champions:

West Lafayette

Gibson Southern

State Champions:  Gibson Southern

• Like 2

I hope youre right lol

The thing with GS this year is just how different the team is while being dominant. 

last year the defense was good but I don’t think it was this good.  The DL is wrecking teams and through 9 games I believe 3 DL have over 5 sacks each.  The team has also combined for just under 80 TFL I believe, just short of 10 TFL per game….and the craziest part about it…at least in my opinion, the best kid on the DL is a freshman.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:06 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

last year the defense was good but I don’t think it was this good. 

You’re not serious.  As a dad who has had sons play instrumental parts in the Defense both years.  Trust me..you can’t be serious!

2 minutes ago, Titan20 said:

You’re not serious.  As a dad who has had sons play instrumental parts in the Defense both years.  Trust me..you can’t be serious!

Gibson Southern gonna have to sure that side of the ball up or make liar out of me.

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Danville (3-6) vs Tri west (7-2)

Danville now 4-6 👀 after beating TW 40-21.

that’s a pretty good upset 

Overheard they did so with their third string QB!!!

6 hours ago, Titan20 said:

Yeah that’s easy for you to come in here and Ty and bash me now after the VL game….but up until last night the defense had looked phenomenal only giving up a few big plays.

Last night certainly not up to their own standard giving up so many big plays but i think I’ll stick to my opinion and not overreact to one game.  

also quit DMing me trying to yell at me for having my own opinions.  I don’t even know who the hell you are and yet once every few months when you log on you are in my DMs yelling at me for something I swear 

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Gibson Southern gonna have to sure that side of the ball up or make liar out of me.

Overheard they did so with their third string QB!!!

Maybe the 3rd stringer should be starting haha 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Yeah that’s easy for you to come in here and Ty and bash me now after the VL game….but up until last night the defense had looked phenomenal only giving up a few big plays.

Last night certainly not up to their own standard giving up so many big plays but i think I’ll stick to my opinion and not overreact to one game.  

also quit DMing me trying to yell at me for having my own opinions.  I don’t even know who the hell you are and yet once every few months when you log on you are in my DMs yelling at me for something I swear 

Lol everyone on here from GS knows me and knows where I am every Friday night.  You on the other hand lose credibility with every post.  You might as well change your name to Dumfries Parkhurst.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Titan20 said:

Lol everyone on here from GS knows me and knows where I am every Friday night.  You on the other hand lose credibility with every post.  You might as well change your name to Dumfries Parkhurst.

I’m just a former player who was no good and hardly played but loves statistics and following the team.  I’ve been here for since like 2011/2012 and it’s been the same thing with me the entire time.  It’s just my opinions lol 

like who are you fooling…everyone here already has their opinions of me and they have been set for a while…I’m not losing credibility 😂  I barely have any to begin with.  I’m just myself….and I’ve been myself the entire time.

and guess what…in 10 years I’ll probably still be here talking Gibson Southern/3A/4A/SIAC vs PAC….because that’s what I’ve done the last 10 years and it’s what I like talking about and debating

• Like 5

I just wanna go on record, GS has performed much better than I thought they would this year. They are undoubtedly a legitimate contender for 3a. I was critical on how they would perform this year after the departure of a really strong class. With that being said, I rank the favorites of class 3A in the following order:

1. Chatard

2a. WL

2b. GS

2c. Norwell

3. Guerin Catholic 

4. Southridge

I would not be surprised to see any of these teams win the 3A title. I don’t think anyone outside of these 6 teams is a legitimate threat for the title.

2 hours ago, Bears62 said:

I just wanna go on record, GS has performed much better than I thought they would this year. They are undoubtedly a legitimate contender for 3a. I was critical on how they would perform this year after the departure of a really strong class. With that being said, I rank the favorites of class 3A in the following order:

1. Chatard

2a. WL

2b. GS

2c. Norwell

3. Guerin Catholic 

4. Southridge

I would not be surprised to see any of these teams win the 3A title. I don’t think anyone outside of these 6 teams is a legitimate threat for the title.

I feel like Lawrenceburg is definitely in the conversation.

6 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I feel like Lawrenceburg is definitely in the conversation.

I haven’t had the chance to watch them this year, but with them having such a weak schedule and getting blown out badly by the only solid team they’ve played (East Central is great), I can’t put them in that conversation.

48 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

I haven’t had the chance to watch them this year, but with them having such a weak schedule and getting blown out badly by the only solid team they’ve played (East Central is great), I can’t put them in that conversation.

All I know of them is what a great game they played at the Jewell last year. They did have Yoon and Patel (I think I have those names right) graduate, but then again GS may have had a couple guys graduate, too.   😉

The boys on the field have zero control of who they play, but they are winning when it is expected of them. It can definitely be tricky to directly correlate regular season play/record with post-season potential. And getting hot at the right time can be all that it takes to make a big run.

All that said, I'd put them in the periphery of the conversation, but still in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bears62 said:

They got blown out by East Central last year and gave GS all they wanted in Regional, but I agree they are somewhat of an unknown. 

3 hours ago, tango said:

They got blown out by East Central last year and gave GS all they wanted in Regional, but I agree they are somewhat of an unknown. 

It was amazing how much they evolved from week 1 to the playoffs last year.  Kind of like Memorial this year.

3A PLAYOFFS
Bishop Chatard (Indianapolis, IN) vs. Hamilton Heights (Arcadia, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   
[projection: Bishop Chatard (Indianapolis, IN) 31-17]
Corydon Central (Corydon, IN) vs. Southridge (Huntingburg, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Southridge (Huntingburg, IN) 55-12]
Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) vs. Owen Valley (Spencer, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 41-31]
Griffith (IN) vs. Hanover Central (Cedar Lake, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Hanover Central (Cedar Lake, IN) 44-7]
Guerin Catholic (Noblesville, IN) vs. Tippecanoe Valley (Akron, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Guerin Catholic [St. Theodore] (Noblesville, IN) 38-21]
Indian Creek (Trafalgar, IN) vs. Batesville (IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Indian Creek (Trafalgar, IN) 31-28]
Jimtown (Elkhart, IN) vs. Glenn (Walkerton, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Jimtown (Elkhart, IN) 20-14]
Lawrenceburg (IN) vs. Greensburg (IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Lawrenceburg (IN) 41-3]
Monrovia (IN) vs. Speedway (IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Speedway (IN) 38-19]
Norwell (Ossian, IN) vs. Concordia Lutheran (Fort Wayne, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Norwell (Ossian, IN) 42-6]
West Lafayette (IN) vs. Calumet (Gary, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: West Lafayette (IN) 48-14]
West Noble (Ligonier, IN) vs. Knox (IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Knox (IN) 38-27]
West Vigo (West Terre Haute, IN) vs. Pike Central (Petersburg, IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Pike Central (Petersburg, IN) 28-20]
Western Boone (Thorntown, IN) vs. Danville (IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Western Boone (Thorntown, IN) 31-14]
Yorktown (IN) vs. Garrett (IN) at TBA, 7:00pm   [projection: Yorktown (IN) 41-10]

On 10/23/2022 at 5:48 AM, Bears62 said:

1. Chatard

2a. WL

2b. GS

2c. Norwell

3. Guerin Catholic 

4. Southridge

Looks like your #1 will potentially have to play, 3, 2c, 2a and 2b (in that order) if they hope to win it all. Should be fun to watch

• Like 1

Just now, Just a dad said:

Curious as to who is Gibson Southern’s biggest competition on their side of the bracket?  Seems the left side of the bracket should be very entertaining with Chatard, WL, Guerin and Norwell. Will GS be challenged at all on their side?

GS has already been challenged and will be challenged again Friday night with OV....then the will be challenged again in Regional with Webo or Danville and then again in Semi State with Southridge or Lawrenceburg.  We have to have a lot go right to make it through.  Any of the last 4 teams I mentioned might be the South representative.

Everyone in the South working for the pleasure to play a school that has maximized it's advantages to dominate a lower class.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Curious as to who is Gibson Southern’s biggest competition on their side of the bracket?  Seems the left side of the bracket should be very entertaining with Chatard, WL, Guerin and Norwell. Will GS be challenged at all on their side?

I think you are new here but this is just how 3A is and why it’s so fun to follow.  Lots of great teams and lots of great games.  Every year there are plenty of 3A teams who would do very well in 4A or even 5A sometimes and come playoff time it gets wild.  

lately the state championship games for 3A have been some absolute thrillers. West Lafayette vs Memorial a few years back probably highlights these and might have been one of the best championship games of all time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Everyone in the South working for the pleasure to play a school that has maximized it's advantages to dominate a lower class.

@Just a dadI know you're new, don't take the bait...

1 minute ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

West Lafayette vs Memorial a few years back probably highlights these and might have been one of the best championship games of all time 

One of the best high school football games I've ever seen live!

3A should be a lot of fun to watch over the next couple of weeks.  A lot of teams that have legitimate shot at making it to Lucas Oil on both sides of the bracket.

@TheDoctor22 Sometimes taking the bait is the only way to break the fisherman’s line, steal his favorite bait and ruin his day. Why be a minnow when you can be a large  mouth?

Seems to me that the gap has narrowed for that mystery team that is lucky enough to “dominate a lower class”. I guess if a team isn’t smart enough to “maximize it’s advantages” it deserves what it gets. Just curious why GS didn’t make their 5star QB (a generational talent at this level for sure) play WR last year just to keep it fair? Oh, maybe because GS “maximized it’s advantages”. That seems really unfair. Maybe you should do the honorable thing and give last year's State Title to a more deserving “team”.  On second thought, the idea of not maximizing advantages within the framework of the rules just sounds dumb, doesn’t it? 

• Thanks 1