Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Injury timeout with no timeouts

Cameojoe

Question

Hello folks. Quick question. 
Silver creek drove the length of the field at the end of the game. They got to the two yard line for a first down. A silver creek player goes down. The refs signal injury timeout. Silver creek is out of timeouts. They are awarded a fourth timeout. Two plays later SC gets a TD with 4 seconds left and wins. I’m an SC fan.

I’m just curious how that last sequence went. IS an injury timeout counted as an actual timeout?

Thank you for all you all do. We can’t have the games with out you.

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Cameojoe said:

Hello folks. Quick question. 
Silver creek drove the length of the field at the end of the game. They got to the two yard line for a first down. A silver creek player goes down. The refs signal injury timeout. Silver creek is out of timeouts. They are awarded a fourth timeout. Two plays later SC gets a TD with 4 seconds left and wins. I’m an SC fan.

I’m just curious how that last sequence went. IS an injury timeout counted as an actual timeout?

Thank you for all you all do. We can’t have the games with out you.

No, a play stoppage for injury is an officials’ timeout. Not charged to a team.

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

No, a play stoppage for injury is an officials’ timeout. Not charged to a team.

I believe the "fourth timeout" language is NFL verbiage. 

Now, let's say a team is down 4 and is stopped in the field of play (short of the sticks, so no clock stoppage anyway) in the last 10 seconds and a player "goes down" (e.g., fakes an injury) in an attempt to stop the clock since it's obvious they'll never get off another play without it. What do you do in that situation? Do you just let the clock roll and then attend to the "injury" after the clock hits zeroes? 

3 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

I believe the "fourth timeout" language is NFL verbiage. 

Now, let's say a team is down 4 and is stopped in the field of play (short of the sticks, so no clock stoppage anyway) in the last 10 seconds and a player "goes down" (e.g., fakes an injury) in an attempt to stop the clock since it's obvious they'll never get off another play without it. What do you do in that situation? Do you just let the clock roll and then attend to the "injury" after the clock hits zeroes? 

First, you understand that when there’s a potential injury involved, the officials are going to err on the side of caution. So, regardless of the circumstances, you have to take it seriously, when a kid goes down. If I were absolutely sure the kid was faking, e.g., I heard his coach tell him to go down, I’m ignoring it. If one of the other crew members stops the clock, I’m going to start it again. If they’ve finagled it so that they are going to be able to run another play when they shouldn’t be able to, I’m going to use the “God rule,” and end the game. But I have to emphasize, if a kid goes down, we’re going to take it seriously until there’s clear and convincing evidence to the contrary.

• Like 4

The answers above are correct.  The question however mistakenly suggests that they were out of timeouts.  Silver Creek used their 3rd and final timeout with 14.8 seconds to play prior to the identification of the injured player.  He was cramping and up with no stoppage of play to return to his huddle.  Had there been an injury timeout he would have exited the game for the ensuing 4th down play.  SC timeouts were at 9:04, 29..0 and 14.8 (just prior to 4th and goal) all in the 4th quarter.

• Like 3