Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What teams are capable of winning the state championship a class above?

Title says it all… we will obviously know more at the end of next month but as of right now what teams do you foresee having the ability to not only win their class but the class above them?

I’ll start.

4A:

I think New Pal and Roncalli (on the right night) could win the 5A title and play with the 6A contenders.

I think East Central and Evansville Reitz could compete well for the 5A title.

2A:

I think Andrean, Mater Dei and Linton could compete for the 3A title.

1A:

I think Lutheran could WIN the 2A title and Adams Central could compete for the 2A title.

17 minutes ago, temptation said:

Title says it all… we will obviously know more at the end of next month but as of right now what teams do you foresee having the ability to not only win their class but the class above them?

I’ll start.

4A:

I think New Pal and Roncalli (on the right night) could win the 5A title and play with the 6A contenders.

2A:

1A:

I think Lutheran could WIN the 2A title and Adams Central could compete for the 2A title.

Your list is similar to mine. The line between the top teams in 4A and 5A is very small (and there are quite a few years where the top 4A team could win 5A - heck, between New Pal, Cathedral and Columbus East, the majority of 5A championships have been won by success factored 4A schools). 

There's also seemingly not a ton of difference between 1A and 2A at the top. The top teams in 1A usually can compete very favorably in 2A. 

18 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Your list is similar to mine. The line between the top teams in 4A and 5A is very small (and there are quite a few years where the top 4A team could win 5A - heck, between New Pal, Cathedral and Columbus East, the majority of 5A championships have been won by success factored 4A schools). 

There's also seemingly not a ton of difference between 1A and 2A at the top. The top teams in 1A usually can compete very favorably in 2A. 

Name the 4a champions that you think could have won 5a. After looking back at past 5a champions, I'm intrigued by your comment. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I’ll start.

4A:

2A:

1A:

No disrespect to Liptons but they really haven’t done anything in 2A yet so let’s not say they’d compete for a 3A title. They had their hands full with South Vermilions last night before pulling away late. I gotta go 

Edited by Donnie Baker
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

New Pal in 2014

I really don't see any big wins on their schedule that year that would lead me to believe they would have beaten Cathedral. They beat a Roncalli team that year that had 5 other losses. I think I'd take the Irish over the Dragons that year. Cathedral was more battle tested with the stronger schedule. 

Just now, BTF said:

I really don't see any big wins on their schedule that year that would lead me to believe they would have beaten Cathedral. They beat a Roncalli team that year that had 5 other losses. I think I'd take the Irish over the Dragons that year. Cathedral was more battle tested with the stronger schedule. 

That was a 1 game season.  They beat a great Columbus East team in semi state in a great game.  And I believe they could have beat Cathedral.   Not necessarily that they would have.  Would have been a good game though.

38 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

No disrespect to Liptons but they really haven’t done anything in 2A yet so let’s not say they’d compete for a 3A title. They had their hands full with South Vermilions last night before pulling away late. I gotta go 

Fair.

19 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

That was a 1 game season.  They beat a great Columbus East team in semi state in a great game.  And I believe they could have beat Cathedral.   Not necessarily that they would have.  Would have been a good game though.

New Pal would have had a tough road with Max Bortenschlager at QB, Caleb Cross and Evan Christopher at RB, and Luke Sanders at WR. Not to mention some terrific defenders like Ben Stewart, Kendall Coleman. O-line was very solid with Emil Ekiyor (as a Freshman) and Jared Thomas. Not impossible for New Pal to win, but it would take a spectacular game by the dragons, much better game than they had against the New Prairie Cougars. Would be a fun game would have been more entertaining than the State Champiosnhip between Cathedral and LaPorte.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

2019 Evansville Memorial did.  The 2021 squad was pretty close to getting there as well - just coming up short in the Semi State game.  

The 2018 and 2019 Memorial teams could have probably given 5A a run for it’s money too.

and that’s kinda the scary thing with success factor….if a team like memorial has a super special string of classes…they can go from 3A to 4A to 5A….and then at the 5A level….they would play Castle North and then like new Albany or something…could easily get a sectional…and at that point..they need 1 good win at regionals and they are stuck in 5A despite a low 3A enrollment.  

thankfully it didn’t play out like that but honestly….for some areas of the state, it might be easier to win a regional moving up a class. It’s certainly harder to win it all moving up, but for an area like Evansville….I have to believe 4A is much harder of a path than 5A 

9 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

I don’t think we were watching the same game.  Linton was up 21-7 at half and 34-14 at the end of three.  On top of that, Linton seemed a little off their game last night.  The passing game wasn’t firing and their defense seemed sluggish.  
I think Linton would be competitive in 3A this year.  Unfortunately we didn’t play Southridge this year, as I think that would have been a good clue as to their ability to compete.

1 hour ago, puff said:

I don’t think we were watching the same game.  Linton was up 21-7 at half and 34-14 at the end of three.  On top of that, Linton seemed a little off their game last night.  The passing game wasn’t firing and their defense seemed sluggish.  
I think Linton would be competitive in 3A this year.  Unfortunately we didn’t play Southridge this year, as I think that would have been a good clue as to their ability to compete.

I didn’t watch but heard some on the radio. Aren’t you the guy that said North Davies could complete with the 2009 Lafayette Central Catholics team? I gotta go 

57 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I didn’t watch but heard some on the radio. Aren’t you the guy that said North Davies could complete with the 2009 Lafayette Central Catholics team? I gotta go 

Speaking of that 2009 1A LCC team, there was conjecture in the area that that team could have given 3A West Lafayette a run for their money that year ... recall that West Lafayette won state in 3A in 2009 along with LCC in 1A.  Given what happened two years later, I'm inclined to believe that.

In 1988 some said that 1a champ Sheridan could have beat 5a champ Ben Davis, but I don't think they could have.  

Lutheran could beat anyone in 2a this year.  I said that in September.  They looked better than Linton last night.

23 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Speaking of that 2009 1A LCC team, there was conjecture in the area that that team could have given 3A West Lafayette a run for their money that year ... recall that West Lafayette won state in 3A in 2009 along with LCC in 1A.  Given what happened two years later, I'm inclined to believe that.

I was toad by a HOF coach that they would have won 3A and been a tough out in 4A. 

• Like 1

2 or 3 1A teams could compete at the top of 2A.

Andrean....I think....could compete at the top of 3A.

Chatard could compete at the top of 4A.

New Pal could compete at the top of 5A.   

Not to say all those teams would win the class up, but I would expect them to be able to hang with the top teams in that class at least.  

10 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Yes, that team and the 2018 Pioneer team (2017 wasnt bad either)!

Think about 2018 Pioneer 

Indiana Mr Football at QB who plays at Notre Dame

State’s 100 meter champion and Top 50 player at one HB

Other HB who currently plays RB for Purdue

FB was Indiana All-star and a Terror on Defense

4-headed monster in deed