Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What teams are capable of winning the state championship a class above?

On 10/22/2022 at 9:29 AM, crimsonace1 said:

Your list is similar to mine. The line between the top teams in 4A and 5A is very small (and there are quite a few years where the top 4A team could win 5A - heck, between New Pal, Cathedral and Columbus East, the majority of 5A championships have been won by success factored 4A schools). 

That is a crazy thought!

I thought this post was intended to discuss current teams, but here goes:

Dwenger's 1992 team would have given Ben Davis a run for their money. 

Luers 2001 could have won 4a

Luers 2011 takes 3a and gives Cathedral a good game in 4a

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I thought this post was intended to discuss current teams, but here goes:

Dwenger's 1992 team would have given Ben Davis a run for their money. 

Luers 2001 could have won 4a

Luers 2011 takes 3a and gives Cathedral a good game in 4a

The ONLY one that I think could have been an issue is 2011 Luers.  Only because of "numbers" and guys going both ways.  

Cathedral is a formidable school with a history that should/cannot be overlooked in IN.  

3 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

The ONLY one that I think could have been an issue is 2011 Luers.  Only because of "numbers" and guys going both ways.  

Cathedral is a formidable school with a history that should/cannot be overlooked in IN.  

I don't think they would have beaten the Irish, but I think they could have kept it within 10-14 point. 

• Like 1

Roncalli has to be kicking themselves for losing in the regional last season to Mount Vernon.  Otherwise, they'd be the favorites to win the 5A state title this season and wouldn't have to go through New Palestine to be state champions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Roncalli has to be kicking themselves for losing in the regional last season to Mount Vernon.  Otherwise, they'd be the favorites to win the 5A state title this season and wouldn't have to go through New Palestine to be state champions.

Never thought of it that way, but I can get behind this.  The 5A path is easier than the path in 4A this fall in my opinion.  

Great take.

9 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Do football programs really look at things this way? If the better competition is in 4a, then I imagine that's exactly where Roncalli would want to be. If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Do football programs really look at things this way? If the better competition is in 4a, then I imagine that's exactly where Roncalli would want to be. If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. 

If anything, Roncalli is kicking themselves for losing a game that ended their season. Agree that no team likely looks at it from the angle ascribed above. 

24 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

If anything, Roncalli is kicking themselves for losing a game that ended their season. Agree that no team likely looks at it from the angle ascribed above. 

Similar to Snider's loss to Dwenger last year. That loss guarantees that Snider will be in 5A for the next three years if I'm not mistaken. Easier road for the Panthers for sure, but gotta love the competition that 6A provides. 

On 10/22/2022 at 10:57 PM, dazed and confused said:

Yes, that team and the 2018 Pioneer team (2017 wasnt bad either)!

Best 1A team I’ve seen in my days. Jack Kiser gave me a concussion in the state finals that year and I didn’t even play in the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/24/2022 at 11:40 PM, LC_Bears_04 said:

Mt Vernon has to be kicking themselves for losing to Roncalli in 2020 regional championship or they’d be running through 5A