Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern (10-0) at Owen Valley (10-0)

2 hours ago, The Ghost said:

That’s funny!! Why would anyone from GS waste their time in city that has to try and tell you “You’ll Like Linton” as you enter town

Lol play nice Ghost 👻 

It's not all that bad, I actually know a super awesome dude originally from Linton. Hellluva musician, Miner super-fan, and wordsmith to boot.

Longtime reader/follower, first time poster... mainly because I forgot my login info when I switched computers. I digress...

#1 --> The quote from Val Kilmer in Tombstone is "I'll be your Hucklebearer" which is a reference to what people called Paul bearers at the time.... it's commonly misquoted!

#2 This OV vs GS game will be exciting!! Both offenses are high powered and points will be scored, not sure 105 will be scored in this game. The biggest question I have is will OV look at the VL vs GS film and take advantage of the same things the VL did?? I'm sure GS has corrected their mistakes from last week (the few they made) so how OV move the ball on the GS stellar Defense?? 

#3 I plan on attending this game with some buddies, anyone know of any good places to eat around Spencer IN?? I know there is a Wendy's and McDonalds, but after eating that with my kids, I'd rather not!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sidelined56 said:

Longtime reader/follower, first time poster... mainly because I forgot my login info when I switched computers. I digress...

#1 --> The quote from Val Kilmer in Tombstone is "I'll be your Hucklebearer" which is a reference to what people called Paul bearers at the time.... it's commonly misquoted!

#2 This OV vs GS game will be exciting!! Both offenses are high powered and points will be scored, not sure 105 will be scored in this game. The biggest question I have is will OV look at the VL vs GS film and take advantage of the same things the VL did?? I'm sure GS has corrected their mistakes from last week (the few they made) so how OV move the ball on the GS stellar Defense?? 

#3 I plan on attending this game with some buddies, anyone know of any good places to eat around Spencer IN?? I know there is a Wendy's and McDonalds, but after eating that with my kids, I'd rather not!

OV can make #2 happen.  Because #2 has been the same issue all year.  GS defense is absolutely stout and gets after it…teams find themselves behind the chains a lot…..but the big plays….big plays are what has hurt GS the most this year.  

just going back through GS’s games….through 10 games they have allowed roughly 20 TDs on varsity…..9 of them have been TDs of 40 yards or more.  At least 5 of those 9 were 75 yards+…so about 25% of the scoring GS has allowed has been essentially 1 busted play that went to the house.  

it goes without saying that against the #1 scoring team in the state, GS has to make OV drive the entire field to score….limit the big plays and make nothing easy.  

Having Vincennes Lincoln score the way they did this last week might have been good for GS.  It’s easy to say since they won…but getting exposed on the big plays like they did last week might have been just the push they needed to take another step and start playing some championship football 

46 minutes ago, Sidelined56 said:

#1 was a theory for a while in 2020...but later was revealed to be incorrect.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/val-kilmer-im-your-huckle-bearer/

30 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

OV can make #2 happen.  Because #2 has been the same issue all year.  GS defense is absolutely stout and gets after it…teams find themselves behind the chains a lot…..but the big plays….big plays are what has hurt GS the most this year.  

just going back through GS’s games….through 10 games they have allowed roughly 20 TDs on varsity…..9 of them have been TDs of 40 yards or more.  At least 5 of those 9 were 75 yards+…so about 25% of the scoring GS has allowed has been essentially 1 busted play that went to the house.  

it goes without saying that against the #1 scoring team in the state, GS has to make OV drive the entire field to score….limit the big plays and make nothing easy.  

Having Vincennes Lincoln score the way they did this last week might have been good for GS.  It’s easy to say since they won…but getting exposed on the big plays like they did last week might have been just the push they needed to take another step and start playing some championship football 

For purpose of argument here... 

"IF" OV can drive the ball and sustain drives, does that slow the game down and work to their advantage?

GS high octane offense scores before one can blink but does a long offensive drive by OV stiffen up the GS offense?

or is it nearly impossible for OV to sustain a long drive against the stout GS defense? If OV goes tempo, do they allow time for GS defense to get set so broken long 50+ yard runs don't happen ?

4 minutes ago, Sidelined56 said:

"IF" OV can drive the ball and sustain drives, does that slow the game down and work to their advantage?

GS high octane offense scores before one can blink but does a long offensive drive by OV stiffen up the GS offense?

or is it nearly impossible for OV to sustain a long drive against the stout GS defense? If OV goes tempo, do they allow time for GS defense to get set so broken long 50+ yard runs don't happen ?

That is what most think will do the trick against GS, but it won't work.  GS needs about 45 seconds to score, I'll say it again, they are fine with you burning the clock between punts.

Against GS it is defense and bringing pressure on Boyd.  If you can't win at the line, you won't win.  D-Line has to be 110% and your DBs have to be good--not necessarily fast, but they need to spent some time watching film.  GS routes are excellent--you don't have to be crazy fast if you are a great route runner.

4 minutes ago, Sidelined56 said:

After watching the OV film against MV...the only defense that needs some serious adjusting or need to worry about tempo is the OV defense.  MV moved the ball up down the field ....just couldn't execute in the red zone.  MV moved the ball Zero...actually less than zero against the GS D.  On the wishbone piece...thanks to our friends at HH.  We know a thing or two about defending that.

No one has been able to drive the football consistently against the GS defense this season tempo or not (lots of depth on that GS D line), there is no doubt the OV offense is NOT the best running office the GS defense has seen.  Not even close.

I would equate the OV offense to being close Boonville.

If GS stops big chunk plays, the game will be played on OV side of the field.

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

After watching the OV film against MV...the only defense that needs some serious adjusting or need to worry about tempo is the OV defense.  MV moved the ball up down the field ....just couldn't execute in the red zone.  MV moved the ball Zero...actually less than zero against the GS D.  On the wishbone piece...thanks to our friends at HH.  We know a thing or two about defending that.

No one has been able to drive the football consistently against the GS defense this season tempo or not (lots of depth on that GS D line), there is no doubt the OV offense is NOT the best running office the GS defense has seen.  Not even close.

How would the OV offense compare to Southridge, in your opinion?

7 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

"No one has been able to drive the football consistently against the GS defense" 

Except for the low level SIAC team that put up 42 points and almost 600 yards of offense.

Or wait, did they do that against the JV team like MV did earlier in the season? I wasn't there so someone will have to inform me on that one.

19 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

"No one has been able to drive the football consistently against the GS defense" 

Except for the low level SIAC team that put up 42 points and almost 600 yards of offense.

Or wait, did they do that against the JV team like MV did earlier in the season? I wasn't there so someone will have to inform me on that one.

There is a slight difference in "drive", and rip off a big play. I think.

22 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

Yes the team that GS put 21 more points on that any team in the SIAC...yes that one.  I think 4 plays made up over half their offense.  We have a couple things to clean up.  Seems like its three and out or 50 yard TD....not much in-between.

The free rent we get in some SIAC guys heads is wonderful.

Isn't there an SIAC thread you can go talk about how Memorial is better than their record in?

2 minutes ago, Titandad71 said:

There is a slight difference in "drive", and rip off a big play. I think.

You're right, my mistake, this was discussed already in the other thread. 3 big plays by Vincennes accounted for all 600 yards. Two of which were mistakes by the officials and the third the lights from the stadium got in GS players eyes. Somehow they managed to score 3 more TDs (unless my math is off). 

My apologies.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

You're right, my mistake, this was discussed already in the other thread. 3 big plays by Vincennes accounted for all 600 yards. Two of which were mistakes by the officials and the third the lights from the stadium got in GS players eyes. Somehow they managed to score 3 more TDs (unless my math is off). 

My apologies.

apology accepted. at least you see the error in your thought process.

Whew, looks like I hit the hornets nest... 

if you take away the two KO returns for TDs and the bad snap, then its 47-42... VL being the 7th place team in the SIAC proved that it could handle its own against the "Greatest Show on Turf (PAC edition)" 

We can all disagree or agree on this and that, simply put each person in favor of their conference is going to spin things the way they want. 

GS defense is so stout that it cant help but give up chunk plays for TDs. but like FootballFan2000 said "600 total yards of offense in 3 plays" that's insane... I didn't know any other team could put up those kind of numbers other than GS!!

OV "might" be able to handle GS, but I know that OV's 10-0 record can be deceiving since they don't nearly the schedule GS does. I mean GS has what 3 possibly 4 games they have to "get-up" for each year. Same could be said with OV. Both teams have a real nice set-up of cake walk games where the JV teams can get plenty of varsity 2nd half experience. Maybe that's the secret to success, play 5 bad teams a year so your JV can get extra reps each week!

OV's speed can match GS. once again , "IF" OV takes anything for the GS/VL film, its maybe throw in a few trick plays to score early, but it can only be over 50+ yards because the game will be played on OV side of the field!!

Side note: anyone know the actual Kick-Off time ?? 

1 hour ago, Sidelined56 said:

It’s not impossible…just requires discipline and being able to convert 3rd and long when you need to.  

the problem for teams is really GS’s DL.  You could get 2 positive gains and be sitting at 3rd and 4….and then you go for a pass play and damn near instantly the QB has a guy wrapping him up for a sack forcing the punt. If it’s not that then it seems like the DL puts the team in a great spot with minimal or negative rushing yards and then it’s 3rd and long…and again forcing pressure which leads to bad throws and turnovers. 

they are not world beaters by any means…but teams have struggled to find consistency against the defense.

which to be completely fair…Owen Valley has certainly showed that they have the kind of offense that can consistently move up the field and they can also hit the big plays and score quickly.  So they will need to just find a way to keep doing what they do best.  

12 minutes ago, WIC Guy 97 said:

What would be the final score in a hypothetical match up between 2021 Gibson Southern and 2022 Gibson Southern?

Last week I was looking on calpreps

2021 GS 42

2022 GS 21

might have changed since then though 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

21 minutes ago, Sidelined56 said:

if you take away the two KO returns for TDs and the bad snap, then its 47-42... VL being the 7th place team in the SIAC proved that it could handle its own against the "Greatest Show on Turf (PAC edition)" 

We can all disagree or agree on this and that, simply put each person in favor of their conference is going to spin things the way they want. 

GS defense is so stout that it cant help but give up chunk plays for TDs. but like FootballFan2000 said "600 total yards of offense in 3 plays" that's insane... I didn't know any other team could put up those kind of numbers other than GS!!

OV "might" be able to handle GS, but I know that OV's 10-0 record can be deceiving since they don't nearly the schedule GS does. I mean GS has what 3 possibly 4 games they have to "get-up" for each year. Same could be said with OV. Both teams have a real nice set-up of cake walk games where the JV teams can get plenty of varsity 2nd half experience. Maybe that's the secret to success, play 5 bad teams a year so your JV can get extra reps each week!

OV's speed can match GS. once again , "IF" OV takes anything for the GS/VL film, its maybe throw in a few trick plays to score early, but it can only be over 50+ yards because the game will be played on OV side of the field!!

No one said all 500 plus yards were all in three plays.

Are you seriously going to compare our schedule with theirs...really?

It is amazing how non-productive those SIAC offenses were against VL.

I admire the OV area teams pulling for them on this thread.  The hate from the SIAC guys...hoping we lose and hoping to prove to the world that Memorial should be in 3A and any success that GS has is because they aren't is the best thing EVER!

OV is a quality football team and this should be a heck of a game!

Harrison, Bosse, Central....equals no weeks off for the SIAC!

With all this free rent perhaps we can build some condos!

Edited by Titan32

12 minutes ago, Sidelined56 said:

Owen Valley was 1-9 just 3 years ago and 0-10 just 4 years ago. I think their current schedule is a reflection of what they were. I heard the new HC at OV Robbie Gibson has already told the administration that he wants Cloverdale and Eastern Green off the schedule and they honored it. He is trying to beef up the non-conference schedule.

As for my thoughts on the game, I have seen OV in person and they are very good. But I just don't think they're ready for a team like GS. Their best players play offense and their next best players play defense. Based off of stats it looks like they have stuck to that in order to keep guys fresh.

GS will win this one by 3 or 4 touchdowns. But be proud with what they have built at OV. They haven't won like this.