Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern (10-0) at Owen Valley (10-0)

5 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

So OV defense played the game of their lives. 

I’m not sure anyone in the last 2 years has had as many sacks against Gibson Southern as they did tonight.  Monster game from them.  They stopped the run game and brought the pressure all night.  

i have to imagine that community is going absolutely bonkers right now and deservedly so.

Hate that Gibson southern lost but this streak of 21 or 22 straight wins has been amazing to follow along to.  Who knows if and when GS can create a streak of 20 + victories in a row against so many quality opponents.  It was a special run for sure.

GS will return a number of their players next year and I’m sure this is going to be some extra motivation in the offseason.  GS had amazing teams in 2014 and 2020 that fell short in the sectionals and they came back the following years with vengeance.  I think this current junior class is certainly up for doing something similar. 

anyways….Congrats Owen Valley!!!  Statement win and happy for the community.  Coach Gibson is one helluva coach and had this team ready.  I’ve been saying it all year….sometimes it doesn’t matter who you play…sometimes you just have the right dudes on a team that can make it happen.  Looking forward to seeing how far this Patriots team can go

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hick said:

Per radio: OV blocks GS field goal.  Return for touchdown, official blows play dead negating score. 

Anyone there elaborate?

I think in HS it’s automatically a dead ball if blocked. Only live play if caught like kickoff?

One of those “this isn’t the nfl” rules in hs I guess.  I think OV still drove down the field for the score though.  Have to say they earned this win tonight.  There were a number of plays that GS had that could be considered lucky breaks where the official could have called a play a different way….they still kept fighting and earned everything tonight.  

7 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think in HS it’s automatically a dead ball if blocked. Only live play if caught like kickoff?

One of those “this isn’t the nfl” rules in hs I guess.  I think OV still drove down the field for the score though.  Have to say they earned this win tonight.  There were a number of plays that GS had that could be considered lucky breaks where the official could have called a play a different way….they still kept fighting and earned everything tonight.  

Believe it’s a live ball as long as the ball stays behind the LOS. If it it’s blocked but still crosses the original LOS it’s blown dead.

34 minutes ago, Once a Titan said:

Congratulations OV 

Great game and much deserved!!!!

Sounded to me like OV wore GS down. Constant pressure on the QB. 

My guess, this would be a repeatable outcome for OV. They're much better than they were given credit for by most here

2 minutes ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

What happened to Gibson Southern tonight?  I'm absolutely shocked at this final score.

Got beat by a better team

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Believe it’s a live ball as long as the ball stays behind the LOS. If it it’s blocked but still crosses the original LOS it’s blown dead.

Copy. I was listening on the radio so didn't see it live, but per the call I believe LOS was 15 prior to the kick. OV blocks kick, returning for a score and ref blows dead.  OV gets ball at the 24.  Doesn't sound like ball crossed LOS.

TBH, announcers were certainly pro OV so kinda took everything with a grain of salt but they made it sound like GS received several breaks from the officials. 

3 minutes ago, hick said:

Sounded to me like OV wore GS down. Constant pressure on the QB. 

My guess, this would be a repeatable outcome for OV. They're much better than they were given credit for by most here

Got beat by a better team

Well obviously Owen Valley was the better team tonight, I'm asking for a breakdown of how the game transpired and what Owen Valley did well and what Gibson Southern didn't do well in the game.

Just now, LC_Bears_04 said:

Well obviously Owen Valley was the better team tonight, I'm asking for a breakdown of how the game transpired and what Owen Valley did well and what Gibson Southern didn't do well in the game.

Best them up front on both sides. Shut down run game. Tons of pressure on GS qb, 9 sacks.  Pounded the ball on offense. Wore GS down

• Thanks 1

Just now, LC_Bears_04 said:

GS was looking to go up 21-0 deep in OV territory.  Pick 6 

that play gave OV all the motivation they needed on defense.  From then on out it was tough sledding in the run game and any positive gains were met with sacks to force 3rd and longs.  GS was forced into 3rd down 17 times tonight and converted 38 % of them.  

their offense at time struggled but eventually they found their groove and it was 3/4/5 yard gains at a time and squeezing crucial conversions.  Offensively they did enough and they were comfortable punting the ball to GS because their defense was feeling it.  

Before that pick 6 it was 100% GS….but that pick 6 got 6000 OV fans fired up and that was the energy they needed 

• Thanks 1

I’ll come out and say GS got smacked in the damn mouth! QB was running for his life and as mentioned 9 sacks while not getting rid of the ball. 
GS offense has been questionable through the latter part of the season ever since i would say Princeton. 

One can say ya but what about all the points they put up? 
Well a lot of that was caused by the Defense and putting the offense in tremendous field position. That did not happen tonight as the Defense didn’t have an answer for the QB keepers.

Congratulations OV

Rep Sectional 30 Well!!!!!!

1 hour ago, hick said:

Per radio: OV blocks GS field goal.  Return for touchdown, official blows play dead negating score. 

Anyone there elaborate?

29 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

One of those “this isn’t the nfl” rules in hs I guess.   

20 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

13 minutes ago, hick said:

Copy. I was listening on the radio so didn't see it live, but per the call I believe LOS was 15 prior to the kick. OV blocks kick, returning for a score and ref blows dead.  OV gets ball at the 24.  Doesn't sound like ball crossed LOS.

Sounds like an inadvertent whistle. What was the status of the ball at the time the whistle was blown?

Just now, Bobref said:

Sounds like an inadvertent whistle. What was the status of the ball at the time the whistle was blown?

I’m not sure. GS broadcast said there was no whistle and then they said there was a whistle. The player I believe ran it all the way.  Refs discussed and brought it back.  OV fans were having none of it.  

if it was an inadvertent whistle….man o man  that ref is probably thankful it didn’t change the games outcome 

It was an inadvertent whistle. Referee acknowledged he made a mistake. Can’t make that mistake in that situation though.  Several calls went against OV all night. Coach Gibson wasn’t shy in voicing his displeasure. Had one of the better headset throws I’ve seen. 

8 minutes ago, Once a Titan said:

I’ll come out and say GS got smacked in the damn mouth! QB was running for his life and as mentioned 9 sacks while not getting rid of the ball. 
GS offense has been questionable through the latter part of the season ever since i would say Princeton. 

One can say ya but what about all the points they put up? 
Well a lot of that was caused by the Defense and putting the offense in tremendous field position. That did not happen tonight as the Defense didn’t have an answer for the QB keepers.

Congratulations OV

Rep Sectional 30 Well!!!!!!

I cannot recall in the Coach Hart era that a GS team accumulated a net 6 yds rushing for a complete ball game… yeah I know something like 9 sacks but GS rushing game ran into a wall…. To me there in lies the difference…. GS dominated the passing game but couldn’t get a dominant rush to eat up the clock when they had the lead.

OV will not be an easy out for a SR or a HH!

3 minutes ago, PAC FAN said:

I cannot recall in the Coach Hart era that a GS team accumulated a net 6 yds rushing for a complete ball game… yeah I know something like 9 sacks but GS rushing game ran into a wall…. To me there in lies the difference…. GS dominated the passing game but couldn’t get a dominant rush to eat up the clock when they had the lead.

This really says something too because the run game was Gibson Southerns strength this year.  Devan Roberts put on arguably one of the best pure rushing seasons GS has had in a while.  30 carry 200 yard games…he had an amazing senior year.  Boyd and Delong complimented the run game all year too when they weren’t working the receiving game. 

Their defense truly played their best 3 Qtrs of their lives after being down 14-0 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m not sure. GS broadcast said there was no whistle and then they said there was a whistle. The player I believe ran it all the way.  Refs discussed and brought it back.  OV fans were having none of it.  

if it was an inadvertent whistle….man o man  that ref is probably thankful it didn’t change the games outcome 

So, it sounds like a blocked field goal recovered by the defense behind the neutral zone and advanced. The ball remains alive. When the whistle was blown is really important. If it was blown after the kick was recovered, it belongs to the team in possession at the spot where the ball was when the whistle sounded. If it was blown while the ball was still loose following the blocked kick, it belongs to the kicking team at the previous spot and the down is replayed.

Unfortunately, an inadvertent whistle following a blocked field goal is an all too familia scenario in high school. That’s because on a kick try — which is much more common than a field goal attempt — the ball is dead if the kick is blocked. The field goal mechanics call for communication between all crew members prior to the snap to acknowledge that “the ball remains alive.”

3 minutes ago, PAC FAN said:

Try to tell people in this thread OV was very good against the run.

Of course all we heard was the "after watching film, OV has a nice team but they'll need to make some adjustments to stay within 3 scores of GS" type comments.

I guess they made those adjustmens??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1