Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

No Clear Mr Football 2022 -- Should they give out the award?

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

You could make a reasonable argument that David Bell wasn’t even the “best” player on his team that year. Without a doubt he was the most talented player, but people forget that Romeir Elliott ran for 3000+ yards and 41 TD’s that same year. Elliott should feel every bit as snubbed as Bell.

I love David and I love Romeir! I was at everyone one of their games. Romeir was literally the driving force behind the offense. David was consistent and the big playmaker for games like Trinity and North Central (sectional championship). He was also hurt for some of the playoffs going into the state championship game. Even David says that Romeir should have been in the discussion and most likely the front runner. Both were deserving. But I will also not take away from Kiser for being an amazing high school player and doing his thing at ND regardless of class. David has been the more successful college player, that is obvious. My question is how is Mr. Football determined? Popularity it seems, but is it suppose to be season stats? If so, regular season only or total season? I know a lot of people argue about this, but someone should win it this year and if they do they will deserve it in my opinion. 

I’m just saying….if you believe that David bell being in the nfl is an argument for why he should have won mr football….you’re a full blown idiot.  

the award is about their high school performance and their representation of Indiana football….it includes statistical accomplishments over a season and a career….but it has absolutely nothing to do with the number of stars a player has on their recruiting profile nor does it have anything to do with their nfl potential.

it’s honestly irritating reading these comments because it’s hindsight BS with zero to no logic other than you can read a 247/rivals report….congrats 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Romeir Elliott ran for 3000+ yards and 41 TD’s that same year. Elliott should feel every bit as snubbed as Bell.

Insane stat line..the award goes to the best senior player or the senior who had the best season?

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I'm guessing Kiser won the award in a landslide. It was probably an easy decision:

• Led Pioneer High School to back-to-back Indiana Class A state championships as a junior and senior
  • In 2018 Pioneer High School went 15-0, 11 victories by shutout, and outscored its opponents, 936-39, including a 60-0 win over North Vermillion in the state finals
  • Recorded 159 tackles, seven interceptions, six forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries as a linebacker
  • Passed for 1,183 yards and 18 TDs, and rushed for 2,109 yards and 44 TDs
  • Career stats: 3,771 passing yards, 59 passing TDs, 7,364 rushing yards, 139 rushing TDs, 37 100-yard rushing games, 9,174 all-purpose yards, 11,257 total yards, 424 tackles, 32 passes defended, 20.5 TFLs, 20 interceptions, nine forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries and two blocked punts

He also kicked..forgot to add his xps

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyButt said:

I love David and I love Romeir! I was at everyone one of their games. Romeir was literally the driving force behind the offense. David was consistent and the big playmaker for games like Trinity and North Central (sectional championship). He was also hurt for some of the playoffs going into the state championship game. Even David says that Romeir should have been in the discussion and most likely the front runner. Both were deserving. But I will also not take away from Kiser for being an amazing high school player and doing his thing at ND regardless of class. David has been the more successful college player, that is obvious. My question is how is Mr. Football determined? Popularity it seems, but is it suppose to be season stats? If so, regular season only or total season? I know a lot of people argue about this, but someone should win it this year and if they do they will deserve it in my opinion. 

It's a senior only award and typically goes to the best offensive skill player, usually to a big class player. For years it was a very heavily biased central Indiana award but in recent years with a change in voting structure has shifted representation among the state and into smaller classes. 

First year in awhile where there isn't a clear cut winner and not a player with eye dropping stats that jump off the table. It very well could be determined by a player this year who has a big state tournament. 

FWIW, I think Hansen is probably the front runner and a win against New Pal probably puts him in the drivers seat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Insane stat line..the award goes to the best senior player or the senior who had the best season?

Senior who had the best season. Been several years where the states best Senior has played on the offensive or defensive line and almost by default has been eliminated from contention. Blake Fisher and Zach Martin come to mind. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Senior who had the best season. Been several years where the states best Senior has played on the offensive or defensive line and almost by default has been eliminated from contention. Blake Fisher and Zach Martin come to mind. 

OL definitely gets the shaft.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Ahhh..brings me back to the talent vs stats dilemma..unless we start tracking pancake blocks and sacks allowed those type of guys don't stand a chance..

The award needs to go to a lineman for a change. One could argue that the quarterback position is the most important position on the field, but there are 21 other positions that play a significant roll. Skill players don't get the job done without the beasts up front protecting them. 

45 minutes ago, qbcoach13 said:

Clarksville Running Back and Outside Linebacker Robert Lamar. 2,839 yards Rushing and 34 TD's. Also has 47 tackles - 31 solo 16 assist, one forced fumble, one INT, one fumble recovery for TD.  

The totals from the last two games have been insane.   

I think he suffers from a lack of press due to location and he had a lot of ground to make up on the leaders.  His team being 5-5 is hurting him because he did not get the attention that teams in the Top 10 are getting.  He will get an opportunity to change that lack of attention.

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m just saying….if you believe that David bell being in the nfl is an argument for why he should have won mr football….you’re a full blown idiot.  

the award is about their high school performance and their representation of Indiana football….it includes statistical accomplishments over a season and a career….but it has absolutely nothing to do with the number of stars a player has on their recruiting profile nor does it have anything to do with their nfl potential.

it’s honestly irritating reading these comments because it’s hindsight BS with zero to no logic other than you can read a 247/rivals report….congrats 

Bell has been and always will be better than Kiser end of story 

If you were going to award it based on NFL talent neither Kiser or Bell would have won that year

Karlaftis would have 

Kiser was the best all-around player. I will take it a step further, had Kiser played for Warren Central he would have been QB tearing up the MIC and you wouldn’t have heard of Bell or Elliott.

6’2 220 and animal on football field. Also qualified for state finals in the 100, shot put and discus! Who does that?

prove me wrong.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Bell has been and always will be better than Kiser end of story 

Mr football is possible for any football player 1A-6A 

you can argue about who the better player is but I don’t think there has been or will be another player with the credentials that Jack Kiser had. 

56-2 over 4 years as a starter

He led his entire team in Passing, Rushing, Return Yards, Tackles, INTs FOR 3 STRAIGHT YEARS. 

The kid literally did everything including the kicking/punting for his team and he put up ridiculous numbers doing so. 

He won Mr Football and was deserving of it.  Never left the field and was the darling of his community…absolutely amazing role model and stand up citizen off the field.  

We can stop talking about how someone else should have won it over him because he was the embodiment of what everyone wants out of a star football player and was “Mr Football” more than anyone.  The kid literally played QB, RB, WR, DE, LB, SS, K, P and was great at all of them. The most Position-less player this state has probably ever seen 

I say all of this knowing I have David bell on every single one of my fantasy teams and love watching him play to death.  But let’s stop disrespecting Jack Kiser just because he played 1A in HS and isnt in the nfl currently. 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

If you were going to award it based on NFL talent neither Kiser or Bell would have won that year

Karlaftis would have 

Kiser was the best all-around player. I will take it a step further, had Kiser played for Warren Central he would have been QB tearing up the MIC and you wouldn’t have heard of Bell or Elliott.

6’2 220 and animal on football field. Also qualified for state finals in the 100, shot put and discus! Who does that?

prove me wrong.

There's only one Kiser. No one did what he did over his career. End of story. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

There's only one Kiser. No one did what he did over his career. End of story. 

Nick Zachery is up there and he never won Mr. Football. 4 year starter at QB, won 3 titles and a runner-up. Had 16 INT's between his jr and senior season and over 200 tackles. Scored TD's via punt return, kick return, INT, fumble recovery, rushing, and receiving. When he didn't win it I thought a 1A player would never win such an award. Many thought there would never be another Zachery. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Nick Zachery is up there and he never won Mr. Football. 4 year starter at QB, won 3 titles and a runner-up. Had 16 INT's between his jr and senior season and over 200 tackles. Scored TD's via punt return, kick return, INT, fumble recovery, rushing, and receiving. When he didn't win it I thought a 1A player would never win such an award. Many thought there would never be another Zachery. 

I was referring to those in Kiser's class.

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Mr football is possible for any football player 1A-6A 

you can argue about who the better player is but I don’t think there has been or will be another player with the credentials that Jack Kiser had. 

56-2 over 4 years as a starter

He led his entire team in Passing, Rushing, Return Yards, Tackles, INTs FOR 3 STRAIGHT YEARS. 

The kid literally did everything including the kicking/punting for his team and he put up ridiculous numbers doing so. 

He won Mr Football and was deserving of it.  Never left the field and was the darling of his community…absolutely amazing role model and stand up citizen off the field.  

We can stop talking about how someone else should have won it over him because he was the embodiment of what everyone wants out of a star football player and was “Mr Football” more than anyone.  The kid literally played QB, RB, WR, DE, LB, SS, K, P and was great at all of them. The most Position-less player this state has probably ever seen 

I say all of this knowing I have David bell on every single one of my fantasy teams and love watching him play to death.  But let’s stop disrespecting Jack Kiser just because he played 1A in HS and isnt in the nfl currently. 

This post and all of the others arguing for who should have won that year is a great example of why we should have a Mr Football for each class.

If we are just talking about D Bell and Kiser and not including Romeir Elliot (whose stats were insane his senior year), not to take away from Kiser bc I believe being on a 1A team he had the opportunity and also was probably needed to play all of those positions and he excelled at them. But would that have been necessary if he played 6A or better yet, the MIC? I believe he still would have been a stud at one or two positions and a Mr Football candidate, but he would not have had to be called on, most likely, to do more than one (depending on the school.) He was a 6A athlete on a 1A team.

The same goes for Bell. He was an amazing WR, 4 year starter at Warren, and also probably the best DB his junior and senior year. Also an amazing special teams player. How good would he have been on a 1A team? See what I am saying. We can have this argument all day long, but at the end of the day it is merely our opinions because we don't know unless they reversed roles. Both kids were special HS players and it could have gone either way with either of them winning Mr Football. 

Just now, MonkeyButt said:

This post and all of the others arguing for who should have won that year is a great example of why we should have a Mr Football for each class.

If we are just talking about D Bell and Kiser and not including Romeir Elliot (whose stats were insane his senior year), not to take away from Kiser bc I believe being on a 1A team he had the opportunity and also was probably needed to play all of those positions and he excelled at them. But would that have been necessary if he played 6A or better yet, the MIC? I believe he still would have been a stud at one or two positions and a Mr Football candidate, but he would not have had to be called on, most likely, to do more than one (depending on the school.) He was a 6A athlete on a 1A team.

The same goes for Bell. He was an amazing WR, 4 year starter at Warren, and also probably the best DB his junior and senior year. Also an amazing special teams player. How good would he have been on a 1A team? See what I am saying. We can have this argument all day long, but at the end of the day it is merely our opinions because we don't know unless they reversed roles. Both kids were special HS players and it could have gone either way with either of them winning Mr Football. 

Let me include that both kids are amazing and outstanding people and huge inspirations to their communities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Zachary was runner-up for Mr Football

Pretty impressive

Sometimes its about the timing