Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Brady the early favorite for MVP

Sometimes the big karma wheel spins and then stops at an interesting place. I have a picture in my mind's eye of Goodell handing the MVP trophy to Tom Brady. Based on the very early returns, he's the clear favorite. Completion percentage of over 72%, 9 TDs, 0 picks, over 1,100 yds. in 3 games, Pats are 3-0. He's clearly playing with a giant chip on his shoulder. There's a lot of football left to be played. But wouldn't the irony be delightful?

And he's somehow doing all this with properly inflated footballs!

Edited by bobref

He is very good at American Football.  Especially throwing the forward Pass.  I am one who appreciate literally how hard it is to put up the numbers they the Pats offense put up, week after week, year after year  The Patriots Way.   

I saw the list of all 400 Wr's, nobody that screams H.O.F.   other than Gronk.  Very Impressive

He is very good at American Football.  Especially throwing the forward Pass.  I am one who appreciate literally how hard it is to put up the numbers they the Pats offense put up, week after week, year after year  The Patriots Way.   

I saw the list of all 400 Wr's, nobody that screams H.O.F.   other than Gronk.  Very Impressive

Well, there was that Moss guy.

Hard to argue Bob,,,,Brady is on a tear,,,,also with a young OL,  If he stays healthy, Gronk could very well become the greatest TE of all time.  

Even as a self-professed Pats hater, I can't deny the greatness of Brady. One of the four best I've ever seen play the position (35 years).

Brady probably should win MVP at this point, but things like this are a popularity contest.  Like Curry winning the NBA MVP over James.  All about selling commercial time and season tickets.  Sorry to burst any bubbles, but pro wrestling is also scripted.

Brady probably should win MVP at this point, but things like this are a popularity contest. Like Curry winning the NBA MVP over James. All about selling commercial time and season tickets. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but pro wrestling is also scripted.

So, you're saying that, at this early juncture, Brady is deserving of the MVP award, but won't get it because he's not "popular?"

"Completion percentage of over 72%, 9 TDs, 0 picks, over 1,100 yds. in 3 games, Pats are 3-0."

I'm going out on a limb and saying if he continues to play at that level he'll win the MVP.

Edited by bobref

Listening to Mike and Mike this morning, they listed Julio Jones as the early leader....I didn't realize his stats were so good after 3 games.  Would have to put both of these guys at the leader board so early in the season.

So, you're saying that, at this early juncture, Brady is deserving of the MVP award, but won't get it because he's not "popular?"

"Completion percentage of over 72%, 9 TDs, 0 picks, over 1,100 yds. in 3 games, Pats are 3-0."

I'm going out on a limb and saying if he continues to play at that level he'll win the MVP.

I'm  saying that it wouldn't suprise me if he didn't, besides, he's got a pretty good supporting cast with Gronk and Biily B calling the shots.  We'll see at the end of the year.

Brady has done more with least in anyone I have seen in my NFL watching days.  Plug and play lineman.  Plug and play WRs.  

He has had 2 dominant players, Gronk and Moss.   Rest have been pedestrian fringe players that Brady elevates to good/great.  

Julio is awesome, no doubt, but he doesn't impact every down on offense like Brady can/does.   

Well, there was that Moss guy.

Yea 39 tds in 3 years.  After everyone thought he was "done"   I bet Moss could go out there today and catch at least 5 more TD passes this year with the Pats

Brady has done more with least in anyone I have seen in my NFL watching days.  Plug and play lineman.  Plug and play WRs.  

He has had 2 dominant players, Gronk and Moss.   Rest have been pedestrian fringe players that Brady elevates to good/great.  

Julio is awesome, no doubt, but he doesn't impact every down on offense like Brady can/does.   

Yea 39 tds in 3 years.  After everyone thought he was "done"   I bet Moss could go out there today and catch at least 5 more TD passes this year with the Pats

The way the Pats offense works, you or I could go out there and catch 5 TD passes this year.

but if there offense is so good, why isn't it emulated non stop by others?  Its a copy cat league?   You need the driver of that Porsche and his name is Tom

but if there offense is so good, why isn't it emulated non stop by others?  Its a copy cat league?   You need the driver of that Porsche and his name is Tom

The designer of that Porsche, Bill, is pretty darn good too.  Again, that is not to take anything away from how great Brady is and has been throughout his career (again one of the 4 best I've ever seen play the position), but I'd take the head coach (the best I've seen at any level in any sport, and I say this as an irrational fan of one Robert Montgomery Knight) over any combination of supporting cast superstars, if I were an NFL franchise and/or quarterback.

• Upvote 2

The designer of that Porsche, Bill, is pretty darn good too.  Again, that is not to take anything away from how great Brady is and has been throughout his career (again one of the 4 best I've ever seen play the position), but I'd take the head coach (the best I've seen at any level in any sport, and I say this as an irrational fan of one Robert Montgomery Knight) over any combination of supporting cast superstars, if I were an NFL franchise and/or quarterback.

Agree, Bill B. is phenomenal  

Agreed, but a lot of that has to do with the system / coaching.  I hate to through this out, but it still rings true.  look at the success that Matt Cassel had when Brady was out.  Got him a big contract with another team where he fell on his face.  To me, an the MVP should be awarded to a player that almost is exclusively the reason for a teams success.  In this case I think it's the coach and the system.  Sure, Brady is a very good QB, but would we be talking about him if had played for another team of coach.  If he was so great, he would have been a three year starter at Michigan and drafted higher.  Now if you'll excuse me I have to go vomit giving New England so much praise.

Or maybe the folks at Michigan just didn't realize what they had. Wouldn't be the first time. Dan Devine tried every way he could to keep from playing Joe Montana, but injuries eventually forced him to. After that, he couldn't get him out of the lineup.

Or maybe the folks at Michigan just didn't realize what they had. Wouldn't be the first time. Dan Devine tried every way he could to keep from playing Joe Montana, but injuries eventually forced him to. After that, he couldn't get him out of the lineup.

So I guess the Walsh had nothing to do with Montana's success?  He kept winning after Joe was gone, same system.  How many Super Bowls did the Chiefs win with Montana? Even with a future H.O.F. running back.  Brady and Montana are a lot alike.  Very smart, great leaders, not great athletes though.  Can't scramble, can't go deep.  Their coaches utilized their players strengths, they didn't try to make do something they weren't able.  That's not exceptional talent, that's exceptional coaching.  That being said, Belichick should win coach of the year every year.  But that goes back to the popularity thing I mentioned earlier in this thread.

So I guess the Walsh had nothing to do with Montana's success?  He kept winning after Joe was gone, same system.  How many Super Bowls did the Chiefs win with Montana? Even with a future H.O.F. running back.  Brady and Montana are a lot alike.  Very smart, great leaders, not great athletes though.  Can't scramble, can't go deep.  Their coaches utilized their players strengths, they didn't try to make do something they weren't able.  That's not exceptional talent, that's exceptional coaching.  That being said, Belichick should win coach of the year every year.  But that goes back to the popularity thing I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Brady and Montana, arguably the two greatest QBs of all time, "not exceptional talent." Wow!

Brady and Montana, arguably the two greatest QBs of all time, "not exceptional talent." Wow!

Bill Belichick, Bill Walsh, not arguably the two best coaches, they are the two best coaches WOW!

Bill Belichick, Bill Walsh, not arguably the two best coaches, they are the two best coaches WOW!

They are certainly 2 of the GOAT. But I think you are grossly underestimating what is needed to succeed at the level Brady and Montana have.

They are certainly 2 of the GOAT. But I think you are grossly underestimating what is needed to succeed at the level Brady and Montana have.

Im not arguing the point of Brady and Montana being two of the greatest, I think they are, I just think  a LOT of their success has to do with the coaches.  I'm sure that I am not aware of what it takes to be an NFL QB, but come on, coaching has nothing to do with all of those superbowls?  Especially in the free agent era?  Look at great college and high school programs that are good year after year after year.  That is all coaching.

Don't disagree...but Aaron Hernandez was pretty stinking good..as a football player.  

Im not arguing the point of Brady and Montana being two of the greatest, I think they are, I just think  a LOT of their success has to do with the coaches.  I'm sure that I am not aware of what it takes to be an NFL QB, but come on, coaching has nothing to do with all of those superbowls?  Especially in the free agent era?  Look at great college and high school programs that are good year after year after year.  That is all coaching.

It does make a person wonder if Brady coming out of Michigan would have been as great had he been drafted by the Saints, Falcons, Jags, etc.  That is an interesting debate....coming out of Michigan, he wasn't that great. (6th round pick)  Anyone see his combine performance?  How much of his legacy is just him, vs. the system?

If Brady would have went to the Colts in the same exact situation as Manning, would he have had the same career?  Would he have taken the Colts to 2 Super Bowls like Manning did?  

Thoughts?

It does make a person wonder if Brady coming out of Michigan would have been as great had he been drafted by the Saints, Falcons, Jags, etc.  That is an interesting debate....coming out of Michigan, he wasn't that great. (6th round pick)  Anyone see his combine performance?  How much of his legacy is just him, vs. the system?

If Brady would have went to the Colts in the same exact situation as Manning, would he have had the same career?  Would he have taken the Colts to 2 Super Bowls like Manning did?  

Thoughts?

His playoff record couldn't have been much worse

I don't think he would have been as dominate, but I think he still would have earned a starting job and won at least 1 with the talent on offense that Manning had. Brady's drive and work ethic is unmatched in the NFL and has been since the day he was drafted 199. All he did at Michigan was win big games, he wasn't flashy and he wasn't going to jump off the paper at scouts but when you watch the games he continuously made the plays to win and continued to play better than Henson who was supposed to be the next Manning-type player.

His playoff record couldn't have been much worse

I don't think he would have been as dominate, but I think he still would have earned a starting job and won at least 1 with the talent on offense that Manning had. Brady's drive and work ethic is unmatched in the NFL and has been since the day he was drafted 199. All he did at Michigan was win big games, he wasn't flashy and he wasn't going to jump off the paper at scouts but when you watch the games he continuously made the plays to win and continued to play better than Henson who was supposed to be the next Manning-type player.

I think people underestimate Brady's talent because he doesn't have the big arm, or great athletic ability. He's certainly not an imposing figure by NFL QB standards. There's a famous picture of him at the combine in just his shorts, and he looks like he'd have to stop someone and ask for directions to the weight room. But he does have 2 things to a degree that no other NFL QB has had since Montana (with the possible exception of Manning in his heyday with the Colts). First, his accuracy with the ball is unparalleled. He puts the ball into unbelievably tight windows, throws it on time as people are coming out of breaks with very small separation, and throws his receivers "open," which is the key to yards after the catch. Secondly, he has complete mastery of his offense. This comes from not only hard work - his work ethic is legendary- but also an inherent football IQ that is off the charts. He is the best at the pre-snap read I've ever seen, which explains why, with his mediocre athletic ability, he doesn't get sacked. Upwards of 90% of the time he knows exactly where the ball is going by the time it's snapped. That's why teams blitz him only rarely. He has an exceedingly rare combination of gifts that many fans don't appreciate. So they chalk it up to "the system." Frankly, the system was built for Brady. Not the other way around.