Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

No Clear Mr Football 2022 -- Should they give out the award?

There seems to be very little talk of clear cut Mr Football candidate favorites so far. In this case, should we even give out the award in 2022?

I posted this on Twitter last week: 

After being solicited, here were some of the players mentioned:

Hansen (Roncalli)

Ringer (East Central)

Bowen (Andrean)

Tibbs (Cathedral)

Lambert (FW Northside)

• Haha 1

I think it’s just more of a year where People want to see what happens in the playoffs.  Does anyone go above and beyond to carry their team to a title? 

i think the Hansen with Roncalli would have to be the favorite though.  10 games in and he has 2400 yards and 29 TDs.  Another 100 and 2 TDs receiving

Also Ringer is a junior by the looks of it so he can’t win it.  Maybe he can win the Gatorade player of the year though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think it’s just more of a year where People want to see what happens in the playoffs.  Does anyone go above and beyond to carry their team to a title? 

i think the Hansen with Roncalli would have to be the favorite though.  10 games in and he has 2400 yards and 29 TDs.  Another 100 and 2 TDs receiving

Also Ringer is a junior by the looks of it so he can’t win it.  Maybe he can win the Gatorade player of the year though 

Ringer is very, very, good and should be in contention next year.  I think he suffers a little from EC being a little out of the spot light due to location and New Pal getting a lot of team press.  (EC is overshadowed by New Pal by being ranked higher.). EC may very well get an opportunity to do something about that in the playoffs.  

I may be really off base, but Tibbs is a great player whose individual accomplishments get all lumped into a great Cathedral team performance.   

Hansen got the early press with his big start to the season and Bowen was at the top of the list due to last year.  I think it is down to those two.  

11 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

My guess is it will be the second Notre Dame recruit in 5 years.  Drayk Bowen seems to fit the Jack Kiser mold.  Smaller class school coming through the northern Indiana bracket. Plays on both sides of the ball and can dominate games at times.  

Hansen also plays both ways.   Made some nice tackles for loss vs EC.  

27 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Bowen will win it..has the accolades n chose an in state school...Kiser set the precedent when he won over Bell..

Bowen's stats may hold him back if he does not win state again.  Kiser had more TDs his senior year than Bowen has in his career.   All Purpose Yards are almost the same.  (That does not include passing yards.)

14 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm an old Cathedral fan boy, but I've seen very few football players in my many years as good at his position than Jaron Tibbs.  He's been fun to watch.  He's not bad on the basketball court either.

I think it comes down to publicity.  (For better or worse).   Brady Allen had that good performance in the state finals to top off a great career.   Is Tibbs going to have a game or playoff run like that to grab everyone's attention?  We will see.    He has to share the spotlight with Akers and Wooten in the passing game.

19 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Bowen's stats may hold him back if he does not win state again.  Kiser had more TDs his senior year than Bowen has in his career.   All Purpose Yards are almost the same.  (That does not include passing yards.)

The kiser/bell debate was who was the better player..kiser won yet many may argue bell always had nfl talent..Bowen may win even though he isn't the most talented player..

2 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I think it comes down to publicity.  (For better or worse).   Brady Allen had that good performance in the state finals to top off a great career.   Is Tibbs going to have a game or playoff run like that to grab everyone's attention?  We will see.    He has to share the spotlight with Akers and Wooten in the passing game.

Jaron's a team player, no matter what team he plays for.  If numbers are the only criteria for Mr. Football, the odds aren't good for him.  Of course he did have a monster game in last year's 5A state championship game, 10 catches, 210 yards and a couple of TD's.  I'm glad the Irish have Ayers and Wooten to help them win game.  For Irish players, the most important numbers are the ones on the scoreboard at the end of a game, in all sports.

• Like 1

Just now, Justasportsfan said:

The kiser/bell debate was who was the better player..kiser won yet many may argue bell always had nfl talent..Bowen may win even though he isn't the most talented player..

Agreed.  I think his stats and going to 3 straight finals and winning two made a big difference.   Bowen does not have the resume that Kiser did.

I am also of the opinion that this award should go to the best HS Sr football player in the state. It is not an award for the best college prospect.  People may think differently and that is OK.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I am also of the opinion that this award should go to the best HS Sr football player in the state. It is not an award for the best college prospect.  People may think differently and that is OK.

Always found it difficult to not go for the senior who breaks a state record and not get the award..Robinson in 99 for heritage was a heckuva player yet missed out..makes me wonder how many great single season record breakers who were seniors, won or not won the award

• Like 1

I was big on bell when he should have won it and he has proven him himself to be a much better player vs Kiser. Bell currently raking in nfl money vs Kiser playing for a mediocre d1 team. That was biggest travesty in recent history. Hopefully history doesn’t repeat and Bowen win granted he is committed to a mediocre team but there aren’t many top recruits in the state.

25 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I was big on bell when he should have won it and he has proven him himself to be a much better player vs Kiser. Bell currently raking in nfl money vs Kiser playing for a mediocre d1 team. That was biggest travesty in recent history. Hopefully history doesn’t repeat and Bowen win granted he is committed to a mediocre team but there aren’t many top recruits in the state.

I almost remember mentioning a few times here and there that maybe beating up a 1a schedule shouldn't qualify.

36 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Raking in money for yourself in the NFL is somehow more admirable than getting an education at one of the finest universities in the country? Lol, yep, this is where we are as a society. 

15 minutes ago, BTF said:

Raking in money for yourself in the NFL is somehow more admirable than getting an education at one of the finest universities in the country? Lol, yep, this is where we are as a society. 

David Bell did get an education at one of the finest universities in the country!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

So what does the University have to do with whom won? Bell went to Purdue and Kiser at Notre Dame. Seems both University are good at Academics, You referenced NFL money which means ones in NFL and one is still playing College Ball. You seem to be the one interested in drama 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mumm6866 said:

So what does the University have to do with whom won? Bell went to Purdue and Kiser at Notre Dame. Seems both University are good at Academics, You referenced NFL money which means ones in NFL and one is still playing College Ball. You seem to be the one interested in drama 

He's just trying to get Notre Dame fans to take the bait. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Bowen will win it..has the accolades n chose an in state school...Kiser set the precedent when he won over Bell..

You could make a reasonable argument that David Bell wasn’t even the “best” player on his team that year. Without a doubt he was the most talented player, but people forget that Romeir Elliott ran for 3000+ yards and 41 TD’s that same year. Elliott should feel every bit as snubbed as Bell.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

You could make a reasonable argument that David Bell wasn’t even the “best” player on his team that year. Without a doubt he was the most talented player, but people forget that Romeir Elliott ran for 3000+ yards and 41 TD’s that same year. Elliott should feel every bit as snubbed as Bell.

I'm guessing Kiser won the award in a landslide. It was probably an easy decision:

• Led Pioneer High School to back-to-back Indiana Class A state championships as a junior and senior
  • In 2018 Pioneer High School went 15-0, 11 victories by shutout, and outscored its opponents, 936-39, including a 60-0 win over North Vermillion in the state finals
  • Recorded 159 tackles, seven interceptions, six forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries as a linebacker
  • Passed for 1,183 yards and 18 TDs, and rushed for 2,109 yards and 44 TDs
  • Career stats: 3,771 passing yards, 59 passing TDs, 7,364 rushing yards, 139 rushing TDs, 37 100-yard rushing games, 9,174 all-purpose yards, 11,257 total yards, 424 tackles, 32 passes defended, 20.5 TFLs, 20 interceptions, nine forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries and two blocked punts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1