Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

No Clear Mr Football 2022 -- Should they give out the award?

1 hour ago, Grover said:

You didn’t vote for Steele?   You are dead to me. 

I believe that was the year I voted for Blake Fisher, you win some, you lose some, however, I felt that he was most dominant player in Indiana that year, but as always, MANY great players to choose from, but only 1 Mr. Football

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I believe that was the year I voted for Blake Fisher, you win some, you lose some, however, I felt that he was most dominant player in Indiana that year, but as always, MANY great players to choose from, but only 1 Mr. Football

Coach, Steele's work his senior year, and his entire career stood by itself in the MIC.  

I am seeing your connection to lineman......

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Speaking of Steele, is he in contention for the Heisman?

Nope.  Weak schedule.

It matters.

you are really starting to answer your own questions?  I don't think you need us anymore for a conversation!!

When having these discussion, one's vote is not a slight to another player, as stated before, many great players, for only 1 vote, I chose to A. discuss my vote publicly 2 years ago now, and brought it up again, this year, but because I voted for Fisher, doesn't mean that Carson Steele was not worthy winner, nor am I upset he won, just my opinion in that particular year, I thought Fisher was worthy of my vote.  

Still waiting to be told what the process is from a fan from the stands. 

Just now, Coach Nowlin said:

When having these discussion, one's vote is not a slight to another player, as stated before, many great players, for only 1 vote, I chose to A. discuss my vote publicly 2 years ago now, and brought it up again, this year, but because I voted for Fisher, doesn't mean that Carson Steele was not worthy winner, nor am I upset he won, just my opinion in that particular year, I thought Fisher was worthy of my vote.  

Every coaching staff member with a pulse gets a vote. That’s the new process since 2019.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Every coaching staff member with a pulse gets a vote. That’s the new process since 2019.

Wrong 

appreciate the response however 

Bummer, I should of bet a GID Donation that you would get it wrong,  shucks, missed opportunity,  Im slipping in my old age

9 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Just funnin' with your coach....your vote, use it where you head guides you!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

No explanation needed.  I'm glad to see somebody giving love to the offensive line.  I'm just partial to Carson for some reason...

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:07 PM, Rodney said:

my vote goes for the guy who runs downhill into traffic not onto the sideline in the first quarter

I love a hard nosed player who delivers a hit when necessary but quite honestly why have your stud RB take a hit on the sideline that could on said play pop an ankle or knee or shoulder when he could dart OOB and not risk an injury much more detrimental to his team than perhaps another yard or two gained.  Now....if it meant a 1st down I sure want him to make that effort.  and, if there's one defender to break a big gain... make that effort.  But all other circumstances I say live to fight another day...especially late in season.  My only exception to this is in a game where you want to make a statement early on...but it would sure suck to lose your bread and butter on a play he could have ducked out of bounds without the hit.  I don't think a question of toughness is warranted given this kid's effort season long.  I'd honestly expect a coach to tell your RBs and WRs to so the same thing.  I admit I love to see the collision, and it sure can fire up a team on either side of the ball.... but dang 350 yards is pretty impressive.  

15 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Wrong 

appreciate the response however 

Bummer, I should of bet a GID Donation that you would get it wrong,  shucks, missed opportunity,  Im slipping in my old age

Coach as for Mr. Football, isn't it 1 vote for each sectional and 2 at large votes making 60 votes or have they changed it?

Edited by FastpacedO

On 10/26/2022 at 6:27 AM, BTF said:

I'm guessing Kiser won the award in a landslide. It was probably an easy decision:

• Led Pioneer High School to back-to-back Indiana Class A state championships as a junior and senior
  • In 2018 Pioneer High School went 15-0, 11 victories by shutout, and outscored its opponents, 936-39, including a 60-0 win over North Vermillion in the state finals
  • Recorded 159 tackles, seven interceptions, six forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries as a linebacker
  • Passed for 1,183 yards and 18 TDs, and rushed for 2,109 yards and 44 TDs
  • Career stats: 3,771 passing yards, 59 passing TDs, 7,364 rushing yards, 139 rushing TDs, 37 100-yard rushing games, 9,174 all-purpose yards, 11,257 total yards, 424 tackles, 32 passes defended, 20.5 TFLs, 20 interceptions, nine forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries and two blocked punts

Kiser played Free Safety in HS

never linebacker. 

46 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

Kiser played Free Safety in HS

never linebacker. 

Either way, stats are impressive and him winning the award apparently was the right choice. He's having a nice career at one of the Top 5 football programs in America. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I don't have subscription to the Indystar so I am not sure what this says.

The article says that all IFCA member head coaches and assistant coaches get a vote. 

So "not every coach with a pulse" but only IFCA member coaches.  

Process:

Be a football coach and JOIN IFCA

IFCA will host a ALL STATE meeting, at that meeting, the Rating board for each sectional and any at large coaches will be in the room and go through all the ALL STATE teams.   

Top 50 team gets selected, amongst the top 50 will be votes by position groupings:  QB, RB, WR, et. al.    

A player then must WIN their individual position award, last year for instance, QB, Brady Allen was the position award winner.   So Allen, then all other 9 position award winners (10 in all). from there, there will be a vote to whittle it down to top 3, last year it was Caden Curry, DL Center Grove, RB, Micah Houser, and QB Brady Allen, with Allen winning the final vote the 3 finalist.  Year before was Steele, Fisher, and QB McCulley. 

For reference, see below:  Indy Star is the sponsor of the award

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/12/07/indiana-high-school-football-2020-mr-football-position-award-winners-blake-fisher-carson-steele/6477814002/

The Indiana Football Coaches Association voted on its Mr. Football position award winners at its all-state meeting on Sunday. These are the 10 nominees for IndyStar Mr. Football award, which will be open to voting through the week for coaches. The field will be narrowed down and finalists announced in coming days:

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

The article says that all IFCA member head coaches and assistant coaches get a vote. 

So "not every coach with a pulse" but only IFCA member coaches.  

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Process:

IFCA will host a ALL STATE meeting, at that meeting, the Rating board for each sectional and any at large coaches will be in the room and go through all the ALL STATE teams.   

Top 50 team gets selected, amongst the top 50 will be votes by position groupings:  QB, RB, WR, et. al.    

A player then must WIN their individual position award, last year for instance, QB, Brady Allen was the position award winner.   So Allen, then all other 9 position award winners (10 in all). from there, there will be a vote to whittle it down to top 3, last year it was Caden Curry, DL Center Grove, RB, Micah Houser, and QB Brady Allen, with Allen winning the final vote the 3 finalist.  Year before was Steele, Fisher, and QB McCulley. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/12/07/indiana-high-school-football-2020-mr-football-position-award-winners-blake-fisher-carson-steele/6477814002/

Thank you both. I couldn't read the article but was curious

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Either way, stats are impressive and him winning the award apparently was the right choice. He's having a nice career at one of the Top 5 football programs in America. 

I am not sure college success is the validation for Mr. Football.  After all, Kiser's main competition that year David Bell had a fantastic college career and is now in the NFL.  Not sure about Top 5 college programs in America comment.  I guess some years....not this one.

If college careers were a validation of Mr. Football, Russ Yeast should really be pissed, being nudged out by a QB that only started a few games during their college career.  Yeast, the recipient of the Gatorade Player of the Year in Indiana had a very good college career at Louisville and Kansas State, and is now playing for the Rams.  Also earned his BS and MS degrees while in school.

13 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

I love a hard nosed player who delivers a hit when necessary but quite honestly why have your stud RB take a hit on the sideline that could on said play pop an ankle or knee or shoulder when he could dart OOB and not risk an injury much more detrimental to his team than perhaps another yard or two gained.  Now....if it meant a 1st down I sure want him to make that effort.  and, if there's one defender to break a big gain... make that effort.  But all other circumstances I say live to fight another day...especially late in season.  My only exception to this is in a game where you want to make a statement early on...but it would sure suck to lose your bread and butter on a play he could have ducked out of bounds without the hit.  I don't think a question of toughness is warranted given this kid's effort season long.  I'd honestly expect a coach to tell your RBs and WRs to so the same thing.  I admit I love to see the collision, and it sure can fire up a team on either side of the ball.... but dang 350 yards is pretty impressive.  

Put another way, that's over 14 yards a minute assuming your team held the ball for half a game.

Luke Hansen’s case for Mr. Football

Luke Hansen Highlights

The totals tell part of the story:

3,080 yards rushing (state leader)
3,191 yards total offense
37 touchdowns, 35 rushing
4th in state in touchdowns and points scored
6 sacks and 15 tackles for loss (led team in both)

But the details are the game changers

Playoff Championship Games

Despite only playing roughly 30 defensive snaps per game, Luke managed 3.5 sacks, 8.5 tackles for loss, 9 solo tackles, and 12 assists against Brebeuf, New Pal, and East Central. He had a solo TFL on 4th and short and a sack/forced fumble to give Roncalli the ball late in the fourth against EC.

He also had big games against the toughest opponents in the regular season.

Chatard (3A champs) - 233 yds, 2 TD
Brebeuf - 261 yds, 4 TD
Male (playing for KY 6A title) - 324 yds, 4 TD
Elder (OH Div 1 Sweet 16) - 231 yds, 2 TD

He was a workhorse, carrying the ball 30+ times in 7 games, including 3 games with 40+ carries. He went over 100 yds 14 times, 200 yds 8 times, and 300 yds 3 times. 

He averaged over 5 yards per carry 11 times and over 10 ypc 5 times. He had 10 multi-touchdown games, including 7 3+ TD games and 4 4+ TD games.

Roncalli’s schedule was ranked as the 18th most difficult without taking Elder and Male into consideration. 

He was not interested in setting records, just winning football games with his best friends.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, fenderbender said:

Bowen's stats may hold him back if he does not win state again.  Kiser had more TDs his senior year than Bowen has in his career.   All Purpose Yards are almost the same.  (That does not include passing yards.)

Drayk wasn’t used at running back as a starter till his junior year if that says anything 

I think it comes down to Hansen and bowen. And I think bowen is a little more important to his team and the state than Luke! I also think Brady Allen shouldn’t have won the award!! 

• Haha 1

To me, a kid that carried the ball an average of 34 times a game (excluding the two IPS games where he had a total of 23 carries), lead the state in rushing and his team in TFL and sacks (while only playing 20% of the defensive snaps on the season) was more valuable to his team. The strength of schedule further solidifies that claim. 

I have nothing bad to say about Bowen, just making my case for my guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Process:

So next question.  What about guys like Bowen and Hansen who play both sides of the ball?  Can one win RB and the other LB?