Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Don't understand why this isn't intentional grounding

gindie

Question

Here's the video link.  Start watching at about 1:59:45.    I watched two different streams and it was funny who did/didn't know there's no "tackle box" rule in high school.  In the other stream it was the former COACH commentator who knew the rule.  Nonetheless, can't figure out why the refs picked up the flag here.

https://www.ihsaatv.org/?B=451588

8 answers to this question

Good pickup by the crew but it was close. The ball was snapped in position 2 (right middle). The edge of the FBZ is about the right hash. The passer was maybe a yard outside of that. Where the crew messed up is the next snap should have also been at position 2. Instead they had it at position 1 (right hash). If they thought the previous snap was position 1 then the passer WASN'T outside the FBZ. Placing it in position 1 also gave the kicker a tougher angle for the FG although he made it. As with most plays several things the officials hedge to process every play, not just the one thing fans want to focus on.

Had a similar play where the QB was directly behind the center, fumbled snap, threw it away from the EZ ... the R threw a flag but the wing official ran in and pointed out there was a receiver in the vicinity (about 5 yards beyond where the ball sailed OOB). After a discussion, they picked up the flag. 

Saw a play Friday night where the QB was getting tackled, was in the FBZ, and was throwing the ball away. However, it landed at the feet of a receiver behind the LOS and intentional grounding was still called. What really irked me, with being the R on my crew, was that the LJ threw the flag. This is the R's flag to throw.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, miner_35 said:

Saw a play Friday night where the QB was getting tackled, was in the FBZ, and was throwing the ball away. However, it landed at the feet of a receiver behind the LOS and intentional grounding was still called. What really irked me, with being the R on my crew, was that the LJ threw the flag. This is the R's flag to throw.

I don’t mind some discussion but agree 100%, white hat’s call. Obviously the new rule changes things a bit. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I don’t mind some discussion but agree 100%, white hat’s call. Obviously the new rule changes things a bit. 

Never discourage discussion. And that’s a flag you can throw “late” … or wave off, based on the information you get.

• Like 2

Good job on the part of the crew (FW Area crew that has done multiple State Finals...though not in the current configuration).  

Remember, we've been advised that IF the QB takes 3 steps to either side....He should be considered 'outside' of the FBZ.  Clearly in this case, the QB did take 3 steps to his right.  After the muff/fumble.  He then gathered himself and then tossed the ball OOB.  

Clearly the explanation to Coach Curtis of Warsaw was met with approval by him (CLASS ACT in every way!!!).  And they moved on, the crowd notwithstanding.  No need to expound on Coach St. Louis of Elkhart.  He was happy with the adjudication of a non-foul.