Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Kinda how my night went

Impartial_Observer

Question

Both wings throw flags at the snap, home team picks up a first down. I’m told A has five guys in the backfield. I of course give the “do all” five yard penalty signal and we mark off the foul as the PA announcer announces false start on A. We get the ball set and I blow the RFP and in the quiet few seconds I hear that one loud mouth, “if it was a false start why didn’t you blow it dead?”  I kind of chuckled. Told the guys in the locker after, that kind of summed up the evening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Both wings throw flags at the snap, home team picks up a first down. I’m told A has five guys in the backfield. I of course give the “do all” five yard penalty signal and we mark off the foul as the PA announcer announces false start on A. We get the ball set and I blow the RFP and in the quiet few seconds I hear that one loud mouth, “if it was a false start why didn’t you blow it dead?”  I kind of chuckled. Told the guys in the locker after, that kind of summed up the evening. 

Every roll of the fists is a false start. Every hands on hips is offsides.

State law.

Don't @ me, Bob, I'm kidding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

Every roll of the fists is a false start. Every hands on hips is offsides.

State law.

Don't @ me, Bob, I'm kidding.

I’ll keep after you until you stop calling it “offsides,” and start calling it “encroachment.”😂

On 10/29/2022 at 12:42 AM, Impartial_Observer said:

This is why I channel my inner Don Fischer and refer to every roll of the fists as a "procedure violation" on the air ... knowing it's usually a false start if a dead ball penalty and an illegal formation if a live ball one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

This is why I channel my inner Don Fischer and refer to every roll of the fists as a "procedure violation" on the air ... knowing it's usually a false start if a dead ball penalty and an illegal formation if a live ball one. 

that's when you wish you had a mic to the referee huddle after a play where the defense sacks the QB for an 8 yard loss on 3rd and 1.

Referee: Whadyagot?
Wing: I have an illegal procedure on #12 offense
Referee: We don't have such a foul. What did he do?
Wing: He left early.
Referee: So we have a false start
Wing: Yeah, that's what you call it
Referee: So why didn't you kill it before the snap?
Wing: Uh...I don't know
Referee: You're buying the first round tonight. Maybe the second.
Referee (over the stadium mic): prior to the snap, false start on the offense, 5 yard penalty previous spot, repeat 3rd down

Without a mic you just see the signal and assume it must have been an illegal formation and wonder why the defense accepted the penalty when 4th and 9 is a better option than 3rd and 6. B's coach is legitimately angry and you have to take the berating you are about to receive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JustRules said:

that's when you wish you had a mic to the referee huddle after a play where the defense sacks the QB for an 8 yard loss on 3rd and 1.

Referee: Whadyagot?
Wing: I have an illegal procedure on #12 offense
Referee: We don't have such a foul. What did he do?
Wing: He left early.
Referee: So we have a false start
Wing: Yeah, that's what you call it
Referee: So why didn't you kill it before the snap?
Wing: Uh...I don't know
Referee: You're buying the first round tonight. Maybe the second.
Referee (over the stadium mic): prior to the snap, false start on the offense, 5 yard penalty previous spot, repeat 3rd down

Without a mic you just see the signal and assume it must have been an illegal formation and wonder why the defense accepted the penalty when 4th and 9 is a better option than 3rd and 6. B's coach is legitimately angry and you have to take the berating you are about to receive.

I'm hoping the R gave the dead ball foul signal before signaling the false start ... that helps me understand what happened as a broadcaster. 

• Like 4